Ricco admits doping !!!!!! Bigger man than Landis....

kennf said:
I'm confused by his quote: "After the Giro, I had no plans to go to the Tour, and that is why I have taken the substance," Riccò said. "I made a mistake of youth."

Is he saying his youthful mistake was in the timing of when he took it, or that he took it at all?

Also, his admission is really premature. He cut short about 1000 posts that would have appeared on DP talking about the unreliability of the test, the French conspiracy, and violation of riders' privacy rights.
I think what he was trying to say was, "I know the Italians don't give a damn about doping so I was good in the Giro. Where I f'd it away was going to race in France in a non-UCI corrupted race. F'in Frogs!!!"

ilpirata said:
The Pantani family has issued the following statement,
"Enough with the media outlets continued association and equating of Riccó doping positive with the deceased Marco Pantani" "We will sue any outlet that recklessly makes this disparagement to his memory. We remind the media that Marco Pantani has never tested positive at a control during his career as a cyclist"
Wow, I never knew Pantani was American. :confused: <end sarcasm>

whiteboytrash said:
http://www.ansa.it/site/notizie/awnplus/english/news/2008-07-30_130202930.html

ANSA) - Rome, July 30 - Italian cyclist Riccardo Ricco' on Wednesday admitted to taking EPO in the run-up to the recent Tour de France, where he tested positive for the substance and was thrown off the race.

Ricco', 24, told Italian anti-doping authorities that he decided on his own to take the banned blood-booster and said no one else was involved.

''It was my mistake, mine alone. I still think about the team and I'm sorry if guys lost their jobs because of me''.

The team's sponsor, French heating appliance giant Saunier Duval, pulled out of cycling after the case. Ricco', who had won two stages with mountain breakaways, was ejected from the Tour at the start of the 12th stage and briefly detained under France's new anti-doping laws.

French authorities said traces of a 'third generation' of EPO called 'Continuous Erythropoietin Receptor Activator' (CERA) were found in his blood after the Tour's first time trial - the same substance also found in three Spanish riders.

Ricco' faces a two-year ban from the Italian Olympic Committee and could face criminal charges in France.

After finishing second in the Giro d'Italia and his feats in the Tour Ricco' was being tipped as a potential heir to Italian cycling's greatest recent climber, Marco Pantani.

Some fans had already started calling him 'the Pirate', the nickname of the bandana-clad Pantani who did the Giro-Tour double in 1998 before doping woes and cocaine use led to his death from a cocaine overdose in 2004.

The Italian cycling world was shocked by the news of Ricco's positive test.

The Italian Association of Professional Riders said riders like Ricco' ''jeopardise the image of the sport and the interests of the majority of riders committed to the fight against the doping mafia''.

The president of the International Cycling Union, Pat McQuaid, called the case ''absolutely shocking''.

The head of the Italian Olympic Committee's Sports Medicine Institute, Antonio Dal Monte, said the effects of CERA ''could be more dramatic'' than EPO, which strains the heart and carries a high risk of thrombosis.

Ricco's case was the latest doping-related blow to cycling after 2006 Tour winner Floyd Landis was stripped of his title, the 2007 winner Ivan Basso was banned for two years and last year's favourites Alexandre Vinokourov and Michael Rasmussen were expelled from the race.

Other top riders to be hit by doping allegations include Jan Ullrich, winner of the 1997 Tour, and Danilo Di Luca, winner of the 2007 Giro d'Italia.

Retired cycling star and current team manager Bjarne Riis last year admitted he used EPO in 1996, when he won the Tour.

Sprint star Erik Zabel has also admitted using it. Lance Armstrong not.
sounds like some back door deals went down resulting in this half-hearted confession.

Crankyfeet said:
Money flows are the easiest things to trace... too big of a risk for Armstrong.
Armstrong had already put the 6 EPO positive fire out... to go back there would just look overly defensive.
Yes, money flows are easy to trace when it's done directly. But without a legal investigation, when it's done by different companies, when money flows are worldwide especially with banks from countries like Luxembourg, Suisse, or some paradisiac carabean islands...that become more difficult.
For example, how much has Armstrong paid UCI for the alleged blood equipment? When? Who paid? was UCI the receiver or Mr. Verbruggen?

Crankyfeet said:
Armstrong wouldn't give away over a million dollars to Floyd for such a small arguable return
His ego is more important than his money... and by "cleaning" his EPO testing he could make a valuable return.

poulidor said:
His ego is more important than his money... and by "cleaning" his EPO testing he could make a valuable return.
I still don't get it pouli (the motivation of Armstrong you describe). I get earth dweller's point about wanting to make sure Landis didn't reveal all the USPS practices in a tell-all confession. But I don't understand how Landis winning his case could be used to quash the Armstrong EPO positives. I mean... it was EPO (not testosterone) ... there were six separate positives... so the odds that a chain of custody problem affected the six samples taken at different stages of the race are next to zero. You could make perhaps a connection between sloppy practices at the lab I suppose (was it the same lab?). But again... the Lance-6-EPO-positive story had been dealt with and buried. If he dug it up again it would just look like he was clutching at straws and still feeling that he had to "prove" something in his defense. Best for him to laugh it off IMO.

Crankyfeet said:
You could make perhaps a connection between sloppy practices at the lab I suppose (was it the same lab?). But again... the Lance-6-EPO-positive story had been dealt with and buried. If he dug it up again it would just look like he was clutching at straws and still feeling that he had to "prove" something in his defense. Best for him to laugh it off IMO.
Yes it was LNDD which was involved in the 2 cases... so Landis' case could "confir" Vrijman's report... in the heart of blind American people who understand very few of doping problems... You have just to watch some of the BS said by Armstrong or Bruyneel in their interview today...
It's very important for someone who wants or wanted to do a political career...
In that case LA has only to win... if Landis failed, he just has to say nothing, but if Landis would had won...he could have used the Landis' case in case of attack about his 6 EPO...
Even today inside cycling fans a small part of them have still doubts...

poulidor said:
Glouuppss ... a quiproquo....

I wanted to say that LA or JB are always in the same denial mode
no worries polly.

I'd say not so much denial its more fantasy. These guys actually write books on how clean they are.

Ricco's Giro samples are going to be re-tested for CERA. Will be interesting to see how his Basso-esque admission holds up.

poulidor said:
I am still convinced that Landis played Armstrong's card because Armstrong payed the whole case, not Landis. Armstrong would have rehabilited his 6 EPO offenses if Landis had won.

Interesting theory.

If Ricco winds up with a positive from the Giro also, does that mean lifetime ban?

kennf said:
If Ricco winds up with a positive from the Giro also, does that mean lifetime ban?

AFAIK no. Same as if more than one sample from the same event turns out pos. It's all thrown together as one offense. Only after he comes back to racing and he has a second offense it would be a lifetime ban.

Anyway, I think those are UCI/ProTour rules. Not sure they apply any more from next year on.

Crankyfeet said:
I think Ricco has had the same phone call from McQuaid that Landis got. You know... the one where Pat said "You're a good guy Floyd... but just take the rap and serve your time". Whereas Floyd went "Up yours!!".... Ricco has gone "Okay...what should I say in the media?".... And Pat's gone... "Well... say you're sorry... but tell them that you only started taking it after the Giro.... we don't want people to think that our tests are ****...or that we have corruptly hidden your guilt". Then Ricco probably said... "But people aren't stupid.... they will work out that if I thought it was undetectable... then I would have been using it at the Giro".... and Pat probably said.... "No...people will believe anything you tell them... especially if you sound like you're confessing.... you should hear the stuff we've said that they've believed".

Very good +1

Cobblestones said:
AFAIK no. Same as if more than one sample from the same event turns out pos. It's all thrown together as one offense. Only after he comes back to racing and he has a second offense it would be a lifetime ban.

Anyway, I think those are UCI/ProTour rules. Not sure they apply any more from next year on.
I believe Riccó has given up names of suppliers and other other intricacies of the doping system within cycling, in order to get a reduced suspension. Those details have yet to be revealed.
We shall see if in Italy there is further will to expand the chastisement of their own. I kind of doubt it. I can see them bringing to completion a punishment decision for Riccó, but not to say to retrotest Sella, Contador, DiLuca, et. al. And if they retrotest only Riccò, that would not be right in my opinion. It would be more of the same however, where you pick off one rider, every once in a while, to make it look like you are fighting doping, and so all can remain as before.

In fact it is said to be Santuccione, the same doctor banned for life. Rumors are that he still has a clientel of cyclists, who dress in disguise, sometimes as women so not to be recognized. It is also he who was involved in the oil for drugs scandal that also cost DiLuca 3 months suspension and prevented him from the worlds last year.

I don't know, it seems almost too easy to throw this guys name out. I am skeptical. But the disguising as women, that is pretty funny!

ilpirata said:
In fact it is said to be Santuccione, the same doctor banned for life. Rumors are that he still has a clientel of cyclists, who dress in disguise, sometimes as women so not to be recognized. It is also he who was involved in the oil for drugs scandal that also cost DiLuca 3 months suspension and prevented him from the worlds last year.

I don't know, it seems almost too easy to throw this guys name out. I am skeptical. But the disguising as women, that is pretty funny!
Checcini? Ferrari?