Ricco positive for EPO



fscyclist

New Member
Jul 30, 2006
753
0
0
plectrum said:
Problem with thinking Schleck is clean is that in interview after Hautacam he looked as if he had just done a couple of miles at the swimming pool rather than an HC climb at breakneck speed!
Exactly. Question answered.
 

plectrum

New Member
Jul 26, 2007
287
2
0
fscyclist said:
Exactly. Question answered.
But then I kinda think that if CSC riders were caught rather than them going to jail someone like Damsgard should take the fall for being No.2 in Doctor Evil's Plan ... (Riis is No.1)
 

plectrum

New Member
Jul 26, 2007
287
2
0
See ya later dudes I'll leave you with:

.... Ricco ... Ha .... S.Duval ...Ha ....

Cavendish ... Woo Hoo.

Well done Mark Cavendish, the king is dead (coke overdose) .... long live the king.

:cool:
 

thoughtforfood

New Member
Jul 24, 2007
2,474
0
0
54
Malkmus said:
Is anybody really surprised at Ricky Riccardo?
I was just telling my wife about it, and she said "yea, you were saying you thought he would get busted the other day." Anyone need stock predictions?
 

Crankyfeet

New Member
Jun 5, 2007
10,817
0
36
Bro Deal said:
I think that is a good point. Ricco must be high on his own success at such a young age. He is bound to have clouded judgement.

Someone was advising him to take a new drug like Mircera/CERA. The advisors and the doctors are the ones who should be sent up the river for five years.

I think the french police and prosecutors should give Ricco, Duenas, and Beltran a choice: Rat out everyone who helped and get a slap on the wrist, keep quite and take the fall yourself.
Bro...you keep coming back to this point... the scenario of the whole sordid underworld of organized and sanctioned doping crashing down in a cascade of domino-like confessions. I am in full agreement with you on this being the ultimate capitulation of the cancer that is doping in cycling or any other sport. However it is unfortunately unlikely to ever happen IMO. Based on the assumption that it would lead to most of the current peloton losing their careers and livelihood and that the powers that be would muffle the testimony of the first dominoes... as they have done in the recent past.

Look how far the Jaksche, Manzano, Sinkewitz confessions have gone. The problem is the farkers at the top. What we need is someone coming out with video-like evidence of UCI corruption... and the McDumbasses and Heiny-Verfuggins of this world will probably be making the scoot for the Swiss border like Saunier-Duval are doing for the Spanish border. Then we may get the domino confessions... if enough are implicated... and there is some kind of amnesty offered for pros perhaps.

I don't presume that any point I made is not already obvious. But the threat of some serious criminal punishment may encourage, as you say, the motivation to talk rather than take the fall for others. And Ricco may be the least discrete talker in the peloton, the one most likely to blab.
 

Bro Deal

New Member
Jun 26, 2006
6,698
4
0
Crankyfeet said:
Bro...you keep coming back to this point... the scenario of the whole sordid underworld of organized and sanctioned doping crashing down in a cascade of domino-like confessions. I am in full agreement with you on this being the ultimate capitulation of the cancer that is doping in cycling or any other sport. However it is unfortunately unlikely to ever happen IMO. Based on the assumption that it would lead to most of the current peloton losing their careers and livelihood and that the powers that be would muffle the testimony of the first dominoes... as they have done in the recent past.

Look how far the Jaksche, Manzano, Sinkewitz confessions have gone. The problem is the farkers at the top. What we need is someone coming out with video-like evidence of UCI corruption... and the McDumbasses and Heiny-Verfuggins of this world will probably be making the scoot for the Swiss border like Saunier-Duval are doing for the Spanish border. Then we may get the domino confessions... if enough are implicated... and there is some kind of amnesty offered for pros perhaps.

I don't presume that any point I made is not already obvious. But the threat of some serious criminal punishment may encourage, as you say, the motivation to talk rather than take the fall for others. And Ricco may be the least discrete talker in the peloton, the one most likely to blab.
I think the only way to end a systemic problem like doping in cycling is to rip the cover off. Nailing riders, even a lot of riders and even with harsh punishments, won't work. The police have the tools to change the situation. If riders face real prison time, they will talk.

I do think there may be a chance to hit critical mass, where enough people have been busted and enough people have talked that omerta will lose its effectiveness. Riders like Ullrich and Landis are in a prison of their own making. By keeping queit they have created the stigma that is attached to them. The truth about the prevalance of doping reabilitates them to a large degree.
 

TheDarkLord

New Member
Dec 24, 2007
3,887
0
0
Bro Deal said:
I think the only way to end a systemic problem like doping in cycling is to rip the cover off. Nailing riders, even a lot of riders and even with harsh punishments, won't work. The police have the tools to change the situation. If riders face real prison time, they will talk.

I do think there may be a chance to hit critical mass, where enough people have been busted and enough people have talked that omerta will lose its effectiveness. Riders like Ullrich and Landis are in a prison of their own making. By keeping queit they have created the stigma that is attached to them. The truth about the prevalance of doping reabilitates them to a large degree.
Bro, IMO, it is like a mafia. If one person alone tries to stand against it, he will be utterly destroyed. So, it is not surprising that nobody has tried to out the people behind the scenes. We know the corruption in the UCI to some extent, but how far does the web go? How are the GT organizers involved? I don't think they are pure as snow in this matter. Take a look at OP. No matter how hard the Germans and Italians have tried to pursue it, the lid gets shut thanks to the larger interests involved there.
 

thoughtforfood

New Member
Jul 24, 2007
2,474
0
0
54
Bro Deal said:
I think the only way to end a systemic problem like doping in cycling is to rip the cover off. Nailing riders, even a lot of riders and even with harsh punishments, won't work. The police have the tools to change the situation. If riders face real prison time, they will talk.

I do think there may be a chance to hit critical mass, where enough people have been busted and enough people have talked that omerta will lose its effectiveness. Riders like Ullrich and Landis are in a prison of their own making. By keeping queit they have created the stigma that is attached to them. The truth about the prevalance of doping reabilitates them to a large degree.
I have been thinking about this today, and I have to say my biggest problem is that doing time for sporting fraud just doesn't seem justified to me. I detest what doping does to sports, and especially my enjoyment of it, but I don't think jail time is warranted. I don't think people who do "recreational" drugs should go to jail either, so that is probably why. In many ways they sign up, and are then expected to do almost impossible things with their bodies. They take short cuts. I have done the same thing in my life with drugs, but in a different way. I think they need to be exposed, and people who enforce the code by forceful means while belittling those who know the truth deserve to be exposed most of all. But the blunt instrument of prison is not the solution in my opinion.
 

b1_

New Member
Mar 28, 2004
145
0
0
49
The blunt instrument of prison would be effective but I also don't think it's justified to lock cyclist up no matter what they're doing.

But they most definitely should be using every tool at their disposal to expose the cheats, including using unsanctioned tests that they're sure are accurate in most cases. I don't like that they can't use these test until they're 99.9% scientifically proven because by the time any test is that accurate they're irrelevant. They need to combine the tests with good old fashion policing to get the admissions.

The bottom line for me is that dopers are cheating. It pisses me off that they think it's okay to get a leg up on their fellow cyclists. The dopers are effectively installing a hidden motor inside their bike frame then celebrating and smack talking when they win like they deserve it. It's just pathetic and I hope they catch every last one of the &%$#ers! Sportsmanship is dead.

The biggest problem cycling has to face is that eventually there will be a drug that's undetectable. What then?
 

lucybears

New Member
Feb 1, 2006
286
0
0
Dans un communiqué, la Saunier Duval annonce avoir licencié Riccardo Ricco et Leonardo Piepoli pour violation du code éthique. Piepoli n'ayant pas été contrôlé positif sur le Tour, la suspicion d'un système plus ou moins organisé dans l'équipe grandit...
 

Powerful Pete

New Member
May 29, 2004
3,866
0
0
53
lucybears said:
Dans un communiqué, la Saunier Duval annonce avoir licencié Riccardo Ricco et Leonardo Piepoli pour violation du code éthique. Piepoli n'ayant pas été contrôlé positif sur le Tour, la suspicion d'un système plus ou moins organisé dans l'équipe grandit...
Interesting - rumours are circulating that Piepoli tested positive in the Hautacam stage... so SD already knows and is trying to cut its losses...

Here is the l'equipe news brief on the same subject...

18/07/2008 15:09 Cyclisme - Dopage - Ricco et Piepoli licenciés

L'équipe Saunier Duval a annoncé vendredi le licenciement des coureurs italiens Riccardo Ricco, déclaré positif lors d'un contrôle antidopage dans la 4e étape du Tour de France, et Leonardo Piepoli. Dans un communiqué, Mauro Gianetti, manager de l'équipe espagnole, ne parle que d'un non-respect du code éthique de la formation pour Piepoli. Sans prononcer le mot de «dopage», cette annonce confirme les rumeurs concernant le coureur italien.
 

b1_

New Member
Mar 28, 2004
145
0
0
49
lucybears said:
Dans un communiqué, la Saunier Duval annonce avoir licencié Riccardo Ricco et Leonardo Piepoli pour violation du code éthique. Piepoli n'ayant pas été contrôlé positif sur le Tour, la suspicion d'un système plus ou moins organisé dans l'équipe grandit...

Merci pour l'information

:D
 

Klodifan

New Member
Aug 26, 2006
730
0
0
rejobako said:
I think you have misconstrued my post. I didn't advocate that the sport assume they were doping -- in fact I suggested that the sport should allow everyone to ride until they actually test postive, which seems more equitable than singling out riders and teams based on supposition and innuendo. My position still stands -- until the rider tests positive, stop bitching and let them ride.

In the alternative, I am all for dispensing with the testing altogether. At this point, it should be obvious that the testing methods are woefully inadequate -- testing does not identify the dopers -- it identifies unlucky dopers. It is an entirely arbitrary exercise to assume whether the successful riders are doping or not. We know that many riders dope -- hell, maybe all of them do. So long as the answer to that question is "who knows?", then I do not see the point in testing them at all. The playing field remains uneven with testing or without it -- so let them dope. The current system simply allows the federations and the organizers to play favorites as they choose, based upon bias and politics. If doping became legal, the people who are destroying the sport from within would be emasculated.
Im vacilating on the issue myself, but youve made excellent points.
 

Klodifan

New Member
Aug 26, 2006
730
0
0
RdBiker said:
It's so obvious...of course it's Armstrong...
oh no it's not...
Basso only intended to dope...or actually...Rasmussen only lied about his whereabouts...and actually...Pantani just had a high HC...and if you really think about it...Hamilton had a twin...
proof that drugs warp the mind
 

Powerful Pete

New Member
May 29, 2004
3,866
0
0
53
A few pictures and some thoughts:

1. I think he has more gendarmes around him than Hannibal Lechter. Ergo, everyone loves TV time. :D
2. He does not look too freaked out to me. :confused:
 

cyclingheroes

New Member
Sep 9, 2005
3,463
0
0
Powerful Pete said:
A few pictures and some thoughts:

1. I think he has more gendarmes around him than Hannibal Lechter. Ergo, everyone loves TV time. :D
2. He does not look too freaked out to me. :confused:
Pete how are the reactions in Italy. Here at the tour everybody (from mechanics, to riders, to management) from Liquigas and Lampre are really angry with Riccò. (and with the others, including Beltran) I don't mean pr angry, but really angry in personal conversations.
 

Klodifan

New Member
Aug 26, 2006
730
0
0
cyclingheroes said:
Pete how are the reactions in Italy. Here at the tour everybody (from mechanics, to riders, to management) from Liquigas and Lampre are really angry with Riccò. (and with the others, including Beltran) I don't mean pr angry, but really angry in personal conversations.
angry that he was stupid and got caught? or genuinely angry b/c they want a cleaned up sport? sorry, and i hate being cynical, but seriously, when it comes to cycling these days, its hard not to.