Rice ??

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Hip Mama, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Hip Mama

    Hip Mama Guest

    We eat quite a bit of rice ... the norm in our house has been the store brand brown rice and
    occasionally the store brand white rice. It seemed fine w/ me. Recently on a trip to the West Side
    Market, I bought some specialty rice ... WOW ... amazing! It was just a simple short grain white
    rice that I can't remember the name of right now. I had no idea that it would make such a
    difference! All these years I have missed out on GOOD rice, thinking that it really didn't matter.
    I'm wondering what is your favorite rice? Do you think there is a big difference between store brand
    and the brands that are sold in specialty stores? Thanks! ~Kat

    Tags:

  2. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Hip Mama wrote:

    > Recently on a trip to the West Side Market, I bought some specialty rice ... WOW ... amazing! It
    > was just a simple short grain white rice that I can't remember the name of right now. I had no
    > idea that it would make such a difference! All these years I have missed out on GOOD rice,
    > thinking that it really didn't matter. I'm wondering what is your favorite rice? Do you think
    > there is a big difference between store brand and the brands that are sold in specialty stores?

    Store brands might have less to do with it than the type of rice. There are so many variables,
    short, med, long, naturally flavorful rice's such as Jasmine and Basmati. You will only really know
    what's out there if you buy them and experiment. Goomba

  3. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Hip Mama" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > We eat quite a bit of rice ... the norm in our house has been the store brand brown rice and
    > occasionally the store brand white rice. It seemed fine w/ me. Recently on a trip to the West Side
    > Market, I bought some specialty rice
    > WOW ... amazing! It was just a simple short grain white rice that I can't remember the name of
    > right now. I had no idea that it would make such a difference! All these years I have missed out
    > on GOOD rice, thinking that it really didn't matter. I'm wondering what is your favorite rice? Do
    > you think there is a big difference between store brand and the brands that are sold in specialty
    > stores? Thanks! ~Kat

    Rice is certainly a lot more varied that many people realize. You can look forward to a lot of fun
    exploring all the diffferent kinds - heck, after 30 years eating rice I still find a new one now and
    then! We have 7 different kinds in the house at the moment, and I bet some people have a lot more.
    My only advice is to explore and enjoy - and if you can, take a look at the cookbook "The Seduction
    of Rice" - really great.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  4. Mr. Wizard

    Mr. Wizard Guest

    "Hip Mama" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:c0oqhp$19[email protected]...

    > I'm wondering what is your favorite rice? Do you think there is a big difference between store
    > brand and the brands that are sold in specialty stores? Thanks! ~Kat

    Basmati and Jasmine are our favorites. As far as store brands go, Mahatma is always a good bet for
    quality and economy. They provide a variety of choices to keep your pantry stocked between trips to
    the specialty market.

  5. In article <[email protected]>, "Hip Mama"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > We eat quite a bit of rice ... the norm in our house has been the store brand brown rice and
    > occasionally the store brand white rice. It seemed fine w/ me. Recently on a trip to the West Side
    > Market, I bought some specialty rice ... WOW ... amazing! It was just a simple short grain white
    > rice that I can't remember the name of right now. I had no idea that it would make such a
    > difference! All these years I have missed out on GOOD rice, thinking that it really didn't matter.
    > I'm wondering what is your favorite rice? Do you think there is a big difference between store
    > brand and the brands that are sold in specialty stores? Thanks! ~Kat

    99% of the time I use store brand long grain white rice. I cook it in the microwave in a 2-quart
    pitcher, 1 cup rice (lately I've been rinsing it quite a bit before cooking) to 2 cups water, 1/2
    tsp salt, and a little oil to keep the boiling down. I cover it with plastic wrap (vented). About 8
    minutes on full power and about8 at 30% power. FWIW.

    What I *really* like is wild rice. Yeah, I know, it's not 'really' rice. Tough.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

  6. Occupant

    Occupant Guest

    Hip Mama wrote:

    > We eat quite a bit of rice ... the norm in our house has been the store brand brown rice and
    > occasionally the store brand white rice. It seemed fine w/ me. Recently on a trip to the West Side
    > Market, I bought some specialty rice ... WOW ... amazing! It was just a simple short grain white
    > rice that I can't remember the name of right now. I had no idea that it would make such a
    > difference! All these years I have missed out on GOOD rice, thinking that it really didn't matter.
    > I'm wondering what is your favorite rice? Do you think there is a big difference between store
    > brand and the brands that are sold in specialty stores? Thanks! ~Kat

    If you like brown rice, get a good quality, it does make a difference.

    There is a big diffence in rice. I eat lots of rice and unless doing mexican rice dishes, it is
    always prepared in a rice cooker.

    Other posters have mentioned other rices. Good quality Japanese sticky rice is great but probably
    not for everyone.

    In spite of all the rice I eat, I was surprised at how nice and different Thai rice was. Now it is
    almost the only rice I make unless I am making Chinese food then I use a Chinese rice.

    Athough I have eaten Thai rice in resturants, I thought it was just Chinese white rice cooked or
    adapted to Thai cooking. Well, nothing could be further from the truth. White Thai is my all-
    time favorite.

  7. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Goomba38 wrote:
    > Hip Mama wrote:
    >
    >> Recently on a trip to the West Side Market, I bought some specialty rice ... WOW ... amazing! It
    >> was just a simple short grain white rice

    > Store brands might have less to do with it than the type of rice. There are so many variables,
    > short, med, long, naturally flavorful rice's such as Jasmine and Basmati. You will only really
    > know what's out there if you buy them and experiment. Goomba

    Agreed! I was thinking the exact thing while reading the post.

    I adore Jasmine rice. The scent while cooking is fantastic! Then there is Arborio, which lends
    itself well to soups (like pasta), and since I'm a soup-a-holic I should know... :)

    Jill

  8. Sheryl Rosen

    Sheryl Rosen Guest

    in article [email protected], Melba's
    Jammin' at [email protected] wrote on 2/15/04 6:58 PM:

    > In article <[email protected]>, "Hip Mama" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> We eat quite a bit of rice ... the norm in our house has been the store brand brown rice and
    >> occasionally the store brand white rice. It seemed fine w/ me. Recently on a trip to the West
    >> Side Market, I bought some specialty rice ... WOW ... amazing! It was just a simple short grain
    >> white rice that I can't remember the name of right now. I had no idea that it would make such a
    >> difference! All these years I have missed out on GOOD rice, thinking that it really didn't
    >> matter. I'm wondering what is your favorite rice? Do you think there is a big difference between
    >> store brand and the brands that are sold in specialty stores? Thanks! ~Kat
    >
    > 99% of the time I use store brand long grain white rice. I cook it in the microwave in a 2-quart
    > pitcher, 1 cup rice (lately I've been rinsing it quite a bit before cooking) to 2 cups water, 1/2
    > tsp salt, and a little oil to keep the boiling down. I cover it with plastic wrap (vented). About
    > 8 minutes on full power and about8 at 30% power. FWIW.
    >
    > What I *really* like is wild rice. Yeah, I know, it's not 'really' rice. Tough.

    Barb, What is the difference in the final product with rinsing the rice vs. not rinsing it?
    Just curious.

    I used to like Goya Extra Long Grain White Rice in the blue box, when I could find it. It was a
    little bit less expensive than Carolina, and it had a pleasant nutty flavor. Now, I mostly buy
    Canilla Extra Long Grain rice, it's a Goya brand. It has that nutty quality to it, but not as much
    as the one in the blue box did. The markets near me stopped carrying that. Rats! it was great!

    I have been seeing "medium grain" rice, but only in 5 lb bags. I will try that next. Just out of
    curiosity.

  9. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:02:17 -0600, jmcquown wrote:

    > Then there is Arborio, which lends itself well to soups (like pasta),

    and risotto, of course. ;-)
    --
    Tim.

    If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would be so simple that
    we couldn't.

  10. Rmiller

    Rmiller Guest

    >Subject: Re: Rice ??
    >From: "Mr. Wizard" [email protected]
    >Date: 2/15/2004 5:07 PM Central Standard Time
    >

    >"Hip Mama" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >berlin.de...
    >
    >> I'm wondering what is your favorite rice? Do you think there is a big difference between store
    >> brand and the brands that are sold in specialty stores? Thanks! ~Kat
    >>
    >Basmati and Jasmine are our favorites. As far as store brands go, Mahatma is always a good bet for
    >quality and economy. They provide a variety of choices to keep your pantry stocked between trips to
    >the specialty market.

    I enjoy basmati and jasmine rice, but my favorite is brown rice, it is nutty tasting and has a nice
    chewy texture. My favorite.

    Rosie

  11. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    > Melba's Jammin' beats her tom toms:
    >
    >What I *really* like is wild rice. Yeah, I know, it's not 'really' rice. Tough.

    Sure... g'wan, rub it in why doncha... just because you live smack-dab in wild rice country and can
    get the good stuff for cheap... your neighbor is probably Hiawatha and has a whole fleet of canoes,
    Chawktaw filled to the gunwales with *fresh* wild rice.

  12. Mr. Wizard

    Mr. Wizard Guest

    "RMiller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Subject: Re: Rice ?? From: "Mr. Wizard" [email protected] Date: 2/15/2004 5:07 PM Central
    > >Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    > >

    > >"Hip Mama" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > >berlin.de...
    > >
    > >> I'm wondering what is your favorite rice? Do you think there is a big difference between store
    > >> brand and the brands that are sold in
    specialty
    > >> stores? Thanks! ~Kat
    > >>
    > >Basmati and Jasmine are our favorites. As far as store brands go, Mahatma is always a good bet
    > >for quality and economy. They provide a variety of choices to keep your pantry stocked between
    > >trips to the specialty market.
    > >

    > I enjoy basmati and jasmine rice, but my favorite is brown rice, it is
    nutty
    > tasting and has a nice chewy texture. My favorite.
    >
    > Rosie

    Actually it is my personal favorite but the kids aren't too wild about it. I prefer the medium grain
    organic from California that Whole Foods carries in bulk. I buy about twenty pounds at a time for
    less $ than the store brands.

  13. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    RMiller wrote:
    >>Subject: Re: Rice ?? From: "Mr. Wizard" [email protected] Date: 2/15/2004 5:07 PM Central
    >>Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >>

    >>"Hip Mama" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >>berlin.de...
    >>

    >>>I'm wondering what is your favorite rice? Do you think there is a big difference between store
    >>>brand and the brands that are sold in specialty stores? Thanks! ~Kat
    >>>

    >>Basmati and Jasmine are our favorites. As far as store brands go, Mahatma is always a good bet for
    >>quality and economy. They provide a variety of choices to keep your pantry stocked between trips
    >>to the specialty market.
    >>

    > I enjoy basmati and jasmine rice, but my favorite is brown rice, it is nutty tasting and has a
    > nice chewy texture. My favorite.
    >
    > Rosie

    I buy 20# bags of jasmine rice at the oriental market. But lately I've started mixing jasmine rice
    and brown rice. I use 2 cups of water, 1/2 cup brown rice, and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, turn
    the heat all the way down low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add 1/2 cup long grain white rice
    (jasmine), stir, cover and just barely simmer for another 15 or 20 minutes.

    Best regards, Bob

  14. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    PENMART01 wrote:
    >> Melba's Jammin' beats her tom toms:
    >>
    >> What I *really* like is wild rice. Yeah, I know, it's not 'really' rice. Tough.
    >
    > Sure... g'wan, rub it in why doncha... just because you live smack-dab in wild rice country and
    > can get the good stuff for cheap... your neighbor is probably Hiawatha and has a whole fleet of
    > canoes, Chawktaw filled to the gunwales with *fresh* wild rice.
    >
    > Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

    If you talk nice to her she'll send you some :)

    Jill (adores wild rice and makes soup with it!)

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:

    > > Melba's Jammin' beats her tom toms:
    > >
    > >What I *really* like is wild rice. Yeah, I know, it's not 'really' rice. Tough.
    >
    > Sure... g'wan, rub it in why doncha... just because you live smack-dab in wild rice country and
    > can get the good stuff for cheap... your neighbor is probably Hiawatha and has a whole fleet of
    > canoes, Chawktaw filled to the gunwales with *fresh* wild rice.

    > Sheldon

    He-e-ey, you just leave my tom-toms out of this, Buster. Out in the hinterlands where you are, can
    you GET lake-grown and hand-harvested wild rice or are you limited to paddy-grown stuff?
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

  16. In article <BC55803B.4664F%[email protected]>, Sheryl Rosen
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > in article [email protected], Melba's Jammin' at
    > [email protected] wrote on 2/15/04 6:58 PM:
    > >1 cup rice (lately I've been rinsing it quite a bit before cooking)

    > Barb, What is the difference in the final product with rinsing the rice vs. not rinsing it? Just
    > curious.

    The well-rinsed finished product is not as gummy as when I don't rinse it. Makes leftovers easier to
    divvy up for reheating.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

  17. Jiml

    Jiml Guest

    zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in message

    --------SNIP------

    > I buy 20# bags of jasmine rice at the oriental market. But lately I've started mixing jasmine rice
    > and brown rice. I use 2 cups of water, 1/2 cup brown rice, and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, turn
    > the heat all the way down low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add 1/2 cup long grain white rice
    > (jasmine), stir, cover and just barely simmer for another 15 or 20 minutes.
    >
    > Best regards, Bob

    It took me a few minutes to digest this. So I think I have it -- the end result is one cup of
    rice and two cups of water? The usual ratio. But simmering time is twice as long, and boiling is
    only for the brown rice at the first step, and not for the white rice at the second step. I'll
    have to try this.

  18. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    JimL wrote:

    > zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > --------SNIP------
    >

    >>I buy 20# bags of jasmine rice at the oriental market. But lately I've started mixing jasmine rice
    >>and brown rice. I use 2 cups of water, 1/2 cup brown rice, and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, turn
    >>the heat all the way down low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add 1/2 cup long grain white rice
    >>(jasmine), stir, cover and just barely simmer for another 15 or 20 minutes.
    >>
    >>Best regards, Bob
    >

    > It took me a few minutes to digest this. So I think I have it -- the end result is one cup of rice
    > and two cups of water? The usual ratio. But simmering time is twice as long, and boiling is only
    > for the brown rice at the first step, and not for the white rice at the second step. I'll have to
    > try this.

    You got it. The brown rice get a head start before you add the white rice, but it all gets simmered
    as low as you can adjust the stove. It ends up tasting nutty like brown rice, but a lot fluffier and
    less sticky.

    Best regards, Bob

  19. Dennis G .

    Dennis G . Guest

    "Hip Mama" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm wondering what is your favorite rice?

    Texas long grain white