Richard Long

Martin Richardson

Guest
Looks like I have been getting it all wrong - cairn building is an art
form.

--
Martin Richardson
272/284 Munros - 4% to go 34/34 'Furths'- 0% to go

[email protected] said...
> Looks like I have been getting it all wrong - cairn building is an art
> form.

Pardon?

--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

In message <[email protected]>, Fran
<[email protected]> writes
>[email protected] said...
>> Looks like I have been getting it all wrong - cairn building is an art
>> form.
>>

>Pardon?

You're pardoned.
--
Martin Richardson
272/284 Munros - 4% to go 34/34 'Furths'- 0% to go
56/89 Donalds - 37% to go 494/1554 Marilyns - 68% to go
376/525 Hewitts - 28% to go (E=178/178; W=137/137; I=61/211)

In message <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
<[email protected]> writes
>Fran wrote:
>
>>[email protected] said...
>>> Looks like I have been getting it all wrong - cairn building is an art
>>> form.
>>>

>>Pardon?

>http://images.google.com/images?q=richard+long&hl=en

Or, if you must believe this is anything more than a pile of Jackson
Pollock's:

http://www.richardlong.org/

--
Martin Richardson
272/284 Munros - 4% to go 34/34 'Furths'- 0% to go
56/89 Donalds - 37% to go 494/1554 Marilyns - 68% to go
376/525 Hewitts - 28% to go (E=178/178; W=137/137; I=61/211)

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 14:28:12 +0100, "theo" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Martin Richardson" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
>news:p[email protected]...
>> Looks like I have been getting it all wrong - cairn building is an art
>> form.

>Did you ever see cairns and other stoneworks from Andy Goldsworthy ?
>http://images.google.nl/images?q=Andy+Goldsworthy

My initial reaction was "that's a rip-off of Andy Goldsworthy". But
then I looked up the web site and found that Long was working 20 years
earlier than AG.

S.

--
Oppose ID cards and the database state - sign the pledge at
http://www.pledgebank.com/refuse

>My initial reaction was "that's a rip-off of Andy Goldsworthy". But
>then I looked up the web site and found that Long was working 20 years
>earlier than AG.

Richard Long seems to be respected in the Art world more than
Goldsworthy and has more of an International reputation.
Rightly so in my book, more diverse than Goldsworthy
Goldsworthy seems to leave his mark on nature
Long seems to work more harmoniously with it, and for a walker many of
his pieces are more "walk orientated", many being text in a visual
form
I particularly like his "lines for a walk" style,

In message <[email protected]>, Carl
<[email protected]> writes

>>My initial reaction was "that's a rip-off of Andy Goldsworthy". But
>>then I looked up the web site and found that Long was working 20 years
>>earlier than AG.

>Richard Long seems to be respected in the Art world more than
>Goldsworthy and has more of an International reputation.
>Rightly so in my book, more diverse than Goldsworthy
>Goldsworthy seems to leave his mark on nature
>Long seems to work more harmoniously with it, and for a walker many of
>his pieces are more "walk orientated", many being text in a visual
>form
>I particularly like his "lines for a walk" style,

It is still all a blot on the landscape whoever does it.

--
Martin Richardson
272/284 Munros - 4% to go 34/34 'Furths'- 0% to go
56/89 Donalds - 37% to go 494/1554 Marilyns - 68% to go
376/525 Hewitts - 28% to go (E=178/178; W=137/137; I=61/211)

In message <[email protected]>
Carl <[email protected]> wrote:

>>My initial reaction was "that's a rip-off of Andy Goldsworthy". But
>>then I looked up the web site and found that Long was working 20 years
>>earlier than AG.

> Richard Long seems to be respected in the Art world more than
> Goldsworthy and has more of an International reputation.
> Rightly so in my book, more diverse than Goldsworthy
> Goldsworthy seems to leave his mark on nature
> Long seems to work more harmoniously with it, and for a walker many of
> his pieces are more "walk orientated", many being text in a visual
> form
> I particularly like his "lines for a walk" style,

I don't know about Long, but I've often liked a lot (but by no means
all) of Goldsworthy. Some of his are definitely temporary, and those
are often the most memorable ones (I particularly remember a line of
maple leaves, in various stages of changing colour, gradually changing
as you go down the line). There's a Richard Long book lying around at
my parents' place, so it sounds like I should take a look at it the
next time I'm there.

--
Simon Challands

[email protected] said...
> --
> "Beannachd leibh"
>
> Theo
> www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

While you're here, Theo - thanks ever so much :)

I've been meaning to email you, but there's been an onslaught of 'life'
and college assignments lately, the latter needing to be in by tomorrow
morning... :-(

A very happy new year to you, Katinka and the children from all of us at
Chateau Coombs.
--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

"Fran" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] said...
>> --
>> "Beannachd leibh"
>>
>> Theo
>> www.theosphotos.fotopic.net
>>

> While you're here, Theo - thanks ever so much :)

You're welcome :)

> I've been meaning to email you, but there's been an onslaught of 'life'
> and college assignments lately, the latter needing to be in by tomorrow
> morning... :-(

Aah. Students ! Always postponing 'till the last day ;-)

> A very happy new year to you, Katinka and the children from all of us at
> Chateau Coombs.

Not a very good start this year. I've been ill *ALL* year (and today's my
birthday, I feel miserable). Been shaking and trembling all night with high
feaver). Last time I felt like this was in '97 in a tent during a downpour
behind Kingshouse Hotel but it turned out to be a major change in my life.
Wonder what's going to happen this time.

--
"Beannachd leibh"

Theo (at Fokker's Medical Centre)
www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

[email protected] said...

> "Fran" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] said...
> > While you're here, Theo - thanks ever so much :)

> You're welcome :)
>
> > I've been meaning to email you, but there's been an onslaught of 'life'
> > and college assignments lately, the latter needing to be in by tomorrow
> > morning... :-(

> Aah. Students ! Always postponing 'till the last day ;-)

Aye, you're not wrong. Nothing changes - I was just the same at
school...

> Not a very good start this year. I've been ill *ALL* year (and today's my
> birthday, I feel miserable).

So postpone your birthday and celebrate it next week instead when you're
feeling better. I did that one year with Christmas when one of my
children was admitted to hospital on Christmas eve with a nasty asthma
attack. We had 'Christmas' the following week while everyone else was
auld lang syneing and managed to enjoy it much more than we would have
done otherwise.

> Been shaking and trembling all night with high
> feaver).

Ick :-(

> Last time I felt like this was in '97 in a tent during a downpour
> behind Kingshouse Hotel but it turned out to be a major change in my life.
> Wonder what's going to happen this time.

Whatever it is, let's hope it's good :)

--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

[email protected] said...
> Hi Fran,
>
> I forgot to ask you one thing.
> Did you like the *salmiakkogels*. (these round things, sweet on the outside
> but on the inside...:)

What on earth...?? Get in car, start engine, drive off. Unwrap sweet,
suck. Hmm, interesting. Not exactly sweet, but not exactly sour. Sort
of hinting at salt. Well that's OK, I'm used to the rather strange
things eaten by the Dutch... Suck some more. Mmm, quite nice, getting a
bit sweeter. Reaching the middle... aaarghhh! What the..?? A mixture
of what appears to be salt and bicarbonate of soda, with a bit of
tartaric acid thrown in for good measure??? Arrive at college laughing
immoderately but in need of something to drink. Schlurp cup of tea,
feel better.

I'll have another one in a bit and see if I can persuade any of my
children to join me. Should be interesting... :))

--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

"Fran" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] said...
>> Hi Fran,
>>
>> I forgot to ask you one thing.
>> Did you like the *salmiakkogels*. (these round things, sweet on the
>> outside
>> but on the inside...:)
>>

> What on earth...?? Get in car, start engine, drive off. Unwrap sweet,
> suck. Hmm, interesting. Not exactly sweet, but not exactly sour. Sort
> of hinting at salt. Well that's OK, I'm used to the rather strange
> things eaten by the Dutch... Suck some more. Mmm, quite nice, getting a
> bit sweeter. Reaching the middle... aaarghhh! What the..?? A mixture
> of what appears to be salt and bicarbonate of soda, with a bit of
> tartaric acid thrown in for good measure??? Arrive at college laughing
> immoderately but in need of something to drink. Schlurp cup of tea,
> feel better.
>
> I'll have another one in a bit and see if I can persuade any of my
> children to join me. Should be interesting... :))

We are SO sorry......

......that we couldn't see your face :)))

How are the kids ? Or do I have to talk to their lawyers ?