Ride a Wheelie !??

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian Novak

Hey does anyone has any tips for riding a wheelie on a mt. bike?

I can get it started but can rarely sustain it for very long... (Good thing thats not what my
girlfriend is saying!)

What is the key to riding a wheelie and keeping your balance? Besides being the cool kid on the
block it could be fun and useful on the trail.

-B

"Brian Novak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey does anyone has any tips for riding a wheelie on a mt. bike?
>
> I can get it started but can rarely sustain it for very long... (Good thing thats not what my
> girlfriend is saying!)
>
> What is the key to riding a wheelie and keeping your balance? Besides being the cool kid on the
> block it could be fun and useful on the trail.
>
>
> -B

Keep your eye on the horizon.

Feather your rear brake to keep from going over backwards.

Turn the wheel left/right to maintain side to side balance.

And like asking "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

...Practice

Mike

Michael Dart wrote:
> "Brian Novak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Hey does anyone has any tips for riding a wheelie on a mt. bike?
>>
>>I can get it started but can rarely sustain it for very long... (Good thing thats not what my
>>girlfriend is saying!)
>>
>>What is the key to riding a wheelie and keeping your balance? Besides being the cool kid on the
>>block it could be fun and useful on the trail.
>>
>>
>> -B
>
>
> Keep your eye on the horizon.
>
> Feather your rear brake to keep from going over backwards.
>
> Turn the wheel left/right to maintain side to side balance.
>
> And like asking "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"
>
> ...Practice
>
> Mike
>
>

to elaborate a bit, it is a lot easier to feather the rear brake if you keep it on the whole time.
From the very beginning of the move apply just a little bit of brake, that way when you start to
feather it you won't slam the front wheel into the ground.

Also, use your knees and ass along with the front wheel to control the left/right balance.
Experiment with seat height. Wheelies are easier for me with the seat dropped all the way but others
prefer a more medium height.

Brian Novak wrote:

Put it in a low-ish gear (middle chainring, upper cassette). Keep seated, keep your arms straight
and lean back gently as you pedal. The front wheel will gradually come higher off the ground. You
should feel the balance point and then probably begin to head off the back. At this point dab the
rear brake (no need to haul on it) and this will bring the front wheel down a smidge. Keep going and
try to stay at the balance point with a combination of pedalling and rear brake. After a while, it
should come more naturally and you'll need the rear brake less and less.

> I can get it started but can rarely sustain it for very long... (Good thing thats not what my
> girlfriend is saying!)
>
> What is the key to riding a wheelie and keeping your balance? Besides being the cool kid on the

Unfortunately, most objects you want to wheelie over on the trail will kick the rear up as you go
over them, and you don't really want to be sitting at that point. Wheelies will help you in knowing
where your balance point is, but what you really need to master are manuals (wheelies without
pedalling).

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

snip...Snip
>
>
>
Be careful if clipped in. (Don't ask how I know!)

>
> ...Practice
>
> Mike

"Vaughn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> snip...Snip
> > Keep your eye on the horizon.
> >
> > Feather your rear brake to keep from going over backwards.
> >
> > Turn the wheel left/right to maintain side to side balance.
> >
> Be careful if clipped in. (Don't ask how I know!)

Hehehe...Ohhhh I know!

Mike

A couple of other things include:
* Find a slight hill. Going uphill will allow you to sustain your pedaling speed so you don't start
spinning too fast. You'll find that it's easier to wheelie uphill rather than downhill.
* Seat at medium height (all relative, I know).
* Use platform pedals. This will allow you to stick your knees out for balance and steering.
* Practice. You'll find some bikes are better suited for wheelies (as you get better, you'll know
why). I can go forever on my DH and DS bikes, but not very far on my XC bike (that will change as
my XC bike is getting morphed into an FR bike - love the alphabet soup names).

Lee

"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Brian Novak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hey does anyone has any tips for riding a wheelie on a mt. bike?
> >
> > I can get it started but can rarely sustain it for very long... (Good thing thats not what my
> > girlfriend is saying!)
> >
> > What is the key to riding a wheelie and keeping your balance? Besides being the cool kid on the
> > block it could be fun and useful on the trail.
> >
> >
> > -B
>
>
>
>
>
> ...Practice
>
> Mike

"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Vaughn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > snip...Snip
> > > Keep your eye on the horizon.
> > >
> > > Feather your rear brake to keep from going over backwards.
> > >
> > > Turn the wheel left/right to maintain side to side balance.
> > >
> > Be careful if clipped in. (Don't ask how I know!)
>
> Hehehe...Ohhhh I know!
>
> Mike

So does my chiropractor.

P

[email protected] (Brian Novak) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>
> girlfriend is saying!)
>

Riding a wheelie on a trail is all show, no go. There is no reason that one should know how to ride
a wheelie to be adept at mountain biking, even on the most technical of trails. Pulling a wheelie or
a manual is another story though because without those skills, all but the most sedate trails will
be very difficult to ride.

JD

JD wrote:

> [email protected] (Brian Novak) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>
>>I can get it started but can rarely sustain it for very long... (Good thing thats not what my
>>girlfriend is saying!)
>>
>>What is the key to riding a wheelie and keeping your balance? Besides being the cool kid on the
>
>
> Riding a wheelie on a trail is all show, no go. There is no reason that one should know how to
> ride a wheelie to be adept at mountain biking, even on the most technical of trails. Pulling a
> wheelie or a manual is another story though because without those skills, all but the most sedate
> trails will be very difficult to ride.
>
> JD

Um, isn't mtbing all about fun?? If you're trying to be practical then go knit something. Wheelies
just add to the entertainment value IMHO.

**** wrote:
> JD wrote:
>
>> [email protected] (Brian Novak) wrote in message
>> news:<[email protected]>...
>>
>>> Hey does anyone has any tips for riding a wheelie on a mt. bike?
>>>
>>> I can get it started but can rarely sustain it for very long... (Good thing thats not what my
>>> girlfriend is saying!)
>>>
>>> What is the key to riding a wheelie and keeping your balance? Besides being the cool kid on the
>>> block it could be fun and useful on the trail.
>>
>>
>> Riding a wheelie on a trail is all show, no go. There is no reason that one should know how to
>> ride a wheelie to be adept at mountain biking, even on the most technical of trails. Pulling a
>> wheelie or a manual is another story though because without those skills, all but the most sedate
>> trails will be very difficult to ride.
>>
>> JD
>
> Um, isn't mtbing all about fun?? If you're trying to be practical then go knit something. Wheelies
> just add to the entertainment value IMHO.

yes, especially when you go over backwards...

JD wrote:
> [email protected] (Brian Novak) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>
>>girlfriend is saying!)
>>
>
>
> Riding a wheelie on a trail is all show, no go. There is no reason that one should know how to
> ride a wheelie to be adept at mountain biking, even on the most technical of trails. Pulling a
> wheelie or a manual is another story though because without those skills, all but the most sedate
> trails will be very difficult to ride.
>
> JD

It certainly does give you a bit of help honing your balancing skills, and getting to know your bike
a bit better. Plus, when you end up with your front wheel way up in the air from a messed up drop or
jump, you know if you have to bail or if you can ride it out.

But yeah, its mostly for show. Not that I can do 'em for more than like 10 feet or so....

Jon Bond

**** <[email protected]> wrote in message
> JD wrote:
>
> > [email protected] (Brian Novak) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> >>Hey does anyone has any tips for riding a wheelie on a mt. bike?
> >>
> >>I can get it started but can rarely sustain it for very long... (Good thing thats not what my
> >>girlfriend is saying!)
> >>
> >>What is the key to riding a wheelie and keeping your balance? Besides being the cool kid on the
> >>block it could be fun and useful on the trail.
> >
> >
> > Riding a wheelie on a trail is all show, no go. There is no reason that one should know how to
> > ride a wheelie to be adept at mountain biking, even on the most technical of trails. Pulling a
> > wheelie or a manual is another story though because without those skills, all but the most
> > sedate trails will be very difficult to ride.
> >
> > JD
>
> Um, isn't mtbing all about fun?? If you're trying to be practical then go knit something. Wheelies
> just add to the entertainment value IMHO.

See **** ride See **** try to ride a wheelie See **** Ride off-trail because of the attempted
wheelie See **** destroy some 500 year old cryptobiotic soil because of his "fun" Don't be a ****

JD

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Um, isn't mtbing all about fun?? If you're trying to be practical then go knit something.
>> Wheelies just add to the entertainment value IMHO.
>
>yes, especially when you go over backwards...

Which is another function of the camelbak: padding and insulation to protect the backside ;-) BTDT

BTW, isn't the skill of lifting the front wheel up in order to get over obstacles - and the higher
the obstacle the more that involves a combination of pedalling and pulling up the bar - a more or
less required skill for experiences mt. bikers? A/k/a "wheelie" even if it is not sustained and a
show off move?

--dt

Doug Taylor <[email protected]> wrote in message
> BTW, isn't the skill of lifting the front wheel up in order to get over obstacles - and the higher
> the obstacle the more that involves a combination of pedalling and pulling up the bar - a more or
> less required skill for experiences mt. bikers? A/k/a "wheelie" even if it is not sustained and a
> show off move?

I previously wrote:
> Pulling a wheelie or a manual is another story though because without those skills, all but the
> most sedate trails will be very difficult to ride.

Riding a wheelie is tits on a bull. Pulling a wheelie is a different story. Do a Google search for
Shaun Bell's description of a "manual".

JD

[email protected] (JD) wrote:

>> BTW, isn't the skill of lifting the front wheel up in order to get over obstacles - and the
>> higher the obstacle the more that involves a combination of pedalling and pulling up the bar - a
>> more or less required skill for experiences mt. bikers? A/k/a "wheelie" even if it is not
>> sustained and a show off move?
>
>I previously wrote:
>> Pulling a wheelie or a manual is another story though because without those skills, all but the
>> most sedate trails will be very difficult to ride.

Doh! My bad for not following the thread.

>Riding a wheelie is tits on a bull.

If you're down on riding a wheelie on a mtn. bike, this will REALLY **** you off:

http://www.abbiorca.com/bike/road/road2002/sfgrandprix-9-15-02/source/img_5942.html

--dt

Status
Not open for further replies.