Ride a Wheelie !??

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Brian Novak, Apr 29, 2003.

  1. Brian Novak

    Brian Novak Guest

    Hey does anyone has any tips for riding a wheelie on a mt. bike?

    I can get it started but can rarely sustain it for very long... (Good thing thats not what my
    girlfriend is saying!)

    What is the key to riding a wheelie and keeping your balance? Besides being the cool kid on the
    block it could be fun and useful on the trail.

    -B

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Brian Novak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey does anyone has any tips for riding a wheelie on a mt. bike?
    >
    > I can get it started but can rarely sustain it for very long... (Good thing thats not what my
    > girlfriend is saying!)
    >
    > What is the key to riding a wheelie and keeping your balance? Besides being the cool kid on the
    > block it could be fun and useful on the trail.
    >

    > -B

    Keep your eye on the horizon.

    Feather your rear brake to keep from going over backwards.

    Turn the wheel left/right to maintain side to side balance.

    And like asking "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

    ...Practice

    Mike

  3. Dick

    Dick Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:
    > "Brian Novak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Hey does anyone has any tips for riding a wheelie on a mt. bike?
    >>
    >>I can get it started but can rarely sustain it for very long... (Good thing thats not what my
    >>girlfriend is saying!)
    >>
    >>What is the key to riding a wheelie and keeping your balance? Besides being the cool kid on the
    >>block it could be fun and useful on the trail.
    >>

    >> -B
    >

    > Keep your eye on the horizon.
    >
    > Feather your rear brake to keep from going over backwards.
    >
    > Turn the wheel left/right to maintain side to side balance.
    >
    > And like asking "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"
    >
    > ...Practice
    >
    > Mike

    to elaborate a bit, it is a lot easier to feather the rear brake if you keep it on the whole time.
    From the very beginning of the move apply just a little bit of brake, that way when you start to
    feather it you won't slam the front wheel into the ground.

    Also, use your knees and ass along with the front wheel to control the left/right balance.
    Experiment with seat height. Wheelies are easier for me with the seat dropped all the way but others
    prefer a more medium height.

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Brian Novak wrote:
    > Hey does anyone has any tips for riding a wheelie on a mt. bike?

    Put it in a low-ish gear (middle chainring, upper cassette). Keep seated, keep your arms straight
    and lean back gently as you pedal. The front wheel will gradually come higher off the ground. You
    should feel the balance point and then probably begin to head off the back. At this point dab the
    rear brake (no need to haul on it) and this will bring the front wheel down a smidge. Keep going and
    try to stay at the balance point with a combination of pedalling and rear brake. After a while, it
    should come more naturally and you'll need the rear brake less and less.

    > I can get it started but can rarely sustain it for very long... (Good thing thats not what my
    > girlfriend is saying!)
    >
    > What is the key to riding a wheelie and keeping your balance? Besides being the cool kid on the
    > block it could be fun and useful on the trail.

    Unfortunately, most objects you want to wheelie over on the trail will kick the rear up as you go
    over them, and you don't really want to be sitting at that point. Wheelies will help you in knowing
    where your balance point is, but what you really need to master are manuals (wheelies without
    pedalling).

  5. Vaughn

    Vaughn Guest

    snip...Snip
    > Keep your eye on the horizon.
    >
    > Feather your rear brake to keep from going over backwards.
    >
    > Turn the wheel left/right to maintain side to side balance.

    Be careful if clipped in. (Don't ask how I know!)

    > And like asking "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"
    >
    > ...Practice
    >
    > Mike

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Vaughn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > snip...Snip
    > > Keep your eye on the horizon.
    > >
    > > Feather your rear brake to keep from going over backwards.
    > >
    > > Turn the wheel left/right to maintain side to side balance.
    > >
    > Be careful if clipped in. (Don't ask how I know!)

    Hehehe...Ohhhh I know!

    Mike

  7. Lee Bower

    Lee Bower Guest

    A couple of other things include:
    * Find a slight hill. Going uphill will allow you to sustain your pedaling speed so you don't start
    spinning too fast. You'll find that it's easier to wheelie uphill rather than downhill.
    * Seat at medium height (all relative, I know).
    * Use platform pedals. This will allow you to stick your knees out for balance and steering.
    * Practice. You'll find some bikes are better suited for wheelies (as you get better, you'll know
    why). I can go forever on my DH and DS bikes, but not very far on my XC bike (that will change as
    my XC bike is getting morphed into an FR bike - love the alphabet soup names).

    Lee

    > "Brian Novak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey does anyone has any tips for riding a wheelie on a mt. bike?
    > >
    > > I can get it started but can rarely sustain it for very long... (Good thing thats not what my
    > > girlfriend is saying!)
    > >
    > > What is the key to riding a wheelie and keeping your balance? Besides being the cool kid on the
    > > block it could be fun and useful on the trail.
    > >

    > > -B
    >
    > Keep your eye on the horizon.
    >
    > Feather your rear brake to keep from going over backwards.
    >
    > Turn the wheel left/right to maintain side to side balance.
    >
    > And like asking "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"
    >
    > ...Practice
    >
    > Mike

  8. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Vaughn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > snip...Snip
    > > > Keep your eye on the horizon.
    > > >
    > > > Feather your rear brake to keep from going over backwards.
    > > >
    > > > Turn the wheel left/right to maintain side to side balance.
    > > >
    > > Be careful if clipped in. (Don't ask how I know!)
    >
    > Hehehe...Ohhhh I know!
    >
    > Mike

    So does my chiropractor.

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Brian Novak) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey does anyone has any tips for riding a wheelie on a mt. bike?
    >
    > I can get it started but can rarely sustain it for very long... (Good thing thats not what my
    > girlfriend is saying!)
    >
    > What is the key to riding a wheelie and keeping your balance? Besides being the cool kid on the
    > block it could be fun and useful on the trail.

    Riding a wheelie on a trail is all show, no go. There is no reason that one should know how to ride
    a wheelie to be adept at mountain biking, even on the most technical of trails. Pulling a wheelie or
    a manual is another story though because without those skills, all but the most sedate trails will
    be very difficult to ride.

    JD

  10. Dick

    Dick Guest

    JD wrote:

    > [email protected] (Brian Novak) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Hey does anyone has any tips for riding a wheelie on a mt. bike?
    >>
    >>I can get it started but can rarely sustain it for very long... (Good thing thats not what my
    >>girlfriend is saying!)
    >>
    >>What is the key to riding a wheelie and keeping your balance? Besides being the cool kid on the
    >>block it could be fun and useful on the trail.
    >

    > Riding a wheelie on a trail is all show, no go. There is no reason that one should know how to
    > ride a wheelie to be adept at mountain biking, even on the most technical of trails. Pulling a
    > wheelie or a manual is another story though because without those skills, all but the most sedate
    > trails will be very difficult to ride.
    >
    > JD

    Um, isn't mtbing all about fun?? If you're trying to be practical then go knit something. Wheelies
    just add to the entertainment value IMHO.

  11. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Dick wrote:
    > JD wrote:
    >
    >> [email protected] (Brian Novak) wrote in message
    >> news:<[email protected]>...
    >>
    >>> Hey does anyone has any tips for riding a wheelie on a mt. bike?
    >>>
    >>> I can get it started but can rarely sustain it for very long... (Good thing thats not what my
    >>> girlfriend is saying!)
    >>>
    >>> What is the key to riding a wheelie and keeping your balance? Besides being the cool kid on the
    >>> block it could be fun and useful on the trail.
    >>

    >> Riding a wheelie on a trail is all show, no go. There is no reason that one should know how to
    >> ride a wheelie to be adept at mountain biking, even on the most technical of trails. Pulling a
    >> wheelie or a manual is another story though because without those skills, all but the most sedate
    >> trails will be very difficult to ride.
    >>
    >> JD
    >
    > Um, isn't mtbing all about fun?? If you're trying to be practical then go knit something. Wheelies
    > just add to the entertainment value IMHO.

    yes, especially when you go over backwards...

    1ยข

  12. JD wrote:
    > [email protected] (Brian Novak) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Hey does anyone has any tips for riding a wheelie on a mt. bike?
    >>
    >>I can get it started but can rarely sustain it for very long... (Good thing thats not what my
    >>girlfriend is saying!)
    >>
    >>What is the key to riding a wheelie and keeping your balance? Besides being the cool kid on the
    >>block it could be fun and useful on the trail.
    >

    > Riding a wheelie on a trail is all show, no go. There is no reason that one should know how to
    > ride a wheelie to be adept at mountain biking, even on the most technical of trails. Pulling a
    > wheelie or a manual is another story though because without those skills, all but the most sedate
    > trails will be very difficult to ride.
    >
    > JD

    It certainly does give you a bit of help honing your balancing skills, and getting to know your bike
    a bit better. Plus, when you end up with your front wheel way up in the air from a messed up drop or
    jump, you know if you have to bail or if you can ride it out.

    But yeah, its mostly for show. Not that I can do 'em for more than like 10 feet or so....

    Jon Bond

  13. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Dick <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > JD wrote:
    >
    > > [email protected] (Brian Novak) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > >>Hey does anyone has any tips for riding a wheelie on a mt. bike?
    > >>
    > >>I can get it started but can rarely sustain it for very long... (Good thing thats not what my
    > >>girlfriend is saying!)
    > >>
    > >>What is the key to riding a wheelie and keeping your balance? Besides being the cool kid on the
    > >>block it could be fun and useful on the trail.
    > >

    > > Riding a wheelie on a trail is all show, no go. There is no reason that one should know how to
    > > ride a wheelie to be adept at mountain biking, even on the most technical of trails. Pulling a
    > > wheelie or a manual is another story though because without those skills, all but the most
    > > sedate trails will be very difficult to ride.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > Um, isn't mtbing all about fun?? If you're trying to be practical then go knit something. Wheelies
    > just add to the entertainment value IMHO.

    See Dick ride See Dick try to ride a wheelie See Dick Ride off-trail because of the attempted
    wheelie See Dick destroy some 500 year old cryptobiotic soil because of his "fun" Don't be a Dick

    JD

  14. Doug Taylor

    Doug Taylor Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Um, isn't mtbing all about fun?? If you're trying to be practical then go knit something.
    >> Wheelies just add to the entertainment value IMHO.
    >
    >yes, especially when you go over backwards...

    Which is another function of the camelbak: padding and insulation to protect the backside ;-) BTDT

    BTW, isn't the skill of lifting the front wheel up in order to get over obstacles - and the higher
    the obstacle the more that involves a combination of pedalling and pulling up the bar - a more or
    less required skill for experiences mt. bikers? A/k/a "wheelie" even if it is not sustained and a
    show off move?

    --dt

  15. Jd

    Jd Guest

    news:<[email protected]>...

    I previously wrote:
    > Pulling a wheelie or a manual is another story though because without those skills, all but the
    > most sedate trails will be very difficult to ride.

    Riding a wheelie is tits on a bull. Pulling a wheelie is a different story. Do a Google search for
    Shaun Bell's description of a "manual".

    JD

  16. Doug Taylor

    Doug Taylor Guest

    [email protected] (JD) wrote:

    >> BTW, isn't the skill of lifting the front wheel up in order to get over obstacles - and the
    >> higher the obstacle the more that involves a combination of pedalling and pulling up the bar - a
    >> more or less required skill for experiences mt. bikers? A/k/a "wheelie" even if it is not
    >> sustained and a show off move?
    >
    >I previously wrote:
    >> Pulling a wheelie or a manual is another story though because without those skills, all but the
    >> most sedate trails will be very difficult to ride.

    Doh! My bad for not following the thread.

    >Riding a wheelie is tits on a bull.

    If you're down on riding a wheelie on a mtn. bike, this will REALLY piss you off:

    http://www.abbiorca.com/bike/road/road2002/sfgrandprix-9-15-02/source/img_5942.html

    --dt

  17. John G

    John G Guest