Ride an SUB not an SUV

On Mar 3, 11:47 am, "donquijote1954" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Hey, be smart. You are part of the solution, not part of the problem.
> And you save the buck. Dinosaurs are a thing of the past and the
> little furry animals are here to stay.
>
> There are two versions of it...
>
> bike:
>
> http://www.zazzle.com/product/235847689274986069
>
> and bus:
>
> http://www.zazzle.com/product/235396990102826110

OK, how is the bus not polluting?

> or the whole REVOLUTION...
>
> http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

On Mar 4, 9:49 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Mar 3, 11:47 am, "donquijote1954" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hey, be smart. You are part of the solution, not part of the problem.
> > And you save the buck. Dinosaurs are a thing of the past and the
> > little furry animals are here to stay.

> > There are two versions of it...

> > bike:

> >http://www.zazzle.com/product/235847689274986069

> > and bus:

> >http://www.zazzle.com/product/235396990102826110

> OK, how is the bus not polluting?

You don't see it everyday, but it's possible. Just some new
technologies and some political will to make it happen...

Heaven Help Bus
A visit to Iceland spurs dreams of a hydrogen future

The loneliness of the long-distance rider.I have seen the future, and
it works.

The 111 bus rolls quietly up to the Mjodd terminal in eastern
Reykjavik at 11:19 a.m., and I climb aboard. For 45 minutes, we cruise
through the suburbs and then to the central square downtown, picking
up and discharging eight passengers along the way. Fuel cells that
would have filled the space of several passenger seats five years ago
are now small enough to fit in the roof panels. And out the exhaust
pipe: a trickle of water.

http://www.grist.org/comments/soapbox/2005/07/19/mckibben-hydrogenbus/

I have a dream...that someday buses will not pollute. Actually we
could make it happen now much easier than having all the cars be
replaced with hybrid. Just change the fleet of buses to hydrogen or
some other technologies out there.

We can make it happen with THE REVOLUTION. Coming soon...

donquijote1954 wrote:
> On Mar 4, 9:49 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> On Mar 3, 11:47 am, "donquijote1954" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey, be smart. You are part of the solution, not part of the problem.
>>> And you save the buck. Dinosaurs are a thing of the past and the
>>> little furry animals are here to stay.
>>> There are two versions of it...
>>> bike:
>>> http://www.zazzle.com/product/235847689274986069
>>> and bus:
>>> http://www.zazzle.com/product/235396990102826110

>> OK, how is the bus not polluting?

> You don't see it everyday, but it's possible. Just some new
> technologies and some political will to make it happen...
>
> Heaven Help Bus
> A visit to Iceland spurs dreams of a hydrogen future
>
> The loneliness of the long-distance rider.I have seen the future, and
> it works.
>
> The 111 bus rolls quietly up to the Mjodd terminal in eastern
> Reykjavik at 11:19 a.m., and I climb aboard. For 45 minutes, we cruise
> through the suburbs and then to the central square downtown, picking
> up and discharging eight passengers along the way. Fuel cells that
> would have filled the space of several passenger seats five years ago
> are now small enough to fit in the roof panels. And out the exhaust
> pipe: a trickle of water.
>
> http://www.grist.org/comments/soapbox/2005/07/19/mckibben-hydrogenbus/
>
> I have a dream...that someday buses will not pollute. Actually we
> could make it happen now much easier than having all the cars be
> replaced with hybrid. Just change the fleet of buses to hydrogen or
> some other technologies out there.
>
> We can make it happen with THE REVOLUTION. Coming soon...

Too optimistic. Somebody, somewhere is probably burning coal or oil to
make the electricity to electrolyze the water to make the Hydrogen.
It only really works if the electricity comes from wind, solar, hydro,
or, dare I say it, NUculear (Bush pronunciation).
Bill Baka

"Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> donquijote1954 wrote:
> > On Mar 4, 9:49 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> >> OK, how is the bus not polluting?

> > You don't see it everyday, but it's possible. Just some new
> > technologies and some political will to make it happen...
> >
> > Heaven Help Bus
> > A visit to Iceland spurs dreams of a hydrogen future
> >
> > The loneliness of the long-distance rider.I have seen the future, and
> > it works.
> >
> > The 111 bus rolls quietly up to the Mjodd terminal in eastern
> > Reykjavik at 11:19 a.m., and I climb aboard. For 45 minutes, we cruise
> > through the suburbs and then to the central square downtown, picking
> > up and discharging eight passengers along the way. Fuel cells that
> > would have filled the space of several passenger seats five years ago
> > are now small enough to fit in the roof panels. And out the exhaust
> > pipe: a trickle of water.
> >
> > http://www.grist.org/comments/soapbox/2005/07/19/mckibben-hydrogenbus/
> >
> > I have a dream...that someday buses will not pollute. Actually we
> > could make it happen now much easier than having all the cars be
> > replaced with hybrid. Just change the fleet of buses to hydrogen or
> > some other technologies out there.
> >
> > We can make it happen with THE REVOLUTION. Coming soon...
> >

> Too optimistic. Somebody, somewhere is probably burning coal or oil to
> make the electricity to electrolyze the water to make the Hydrogen.
> It only really works if the electricity comes from wind, solar, hydro,
> or, dare I say it, NUculear (Bush pronunciation).
> Bill Baka

Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big time.

"Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> donquijote1954 wrote:
>> On Mar 4, 9:49 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>> OK, how is the bus not polluting?

>> You don't see it everyday, but it's possible. Just some new
>> technologies and some political will to make it happen...
>>
>> Heaven Help Bus
>> A visit to Iceland spurs dreams of a hydrogen future
>>
>> The loneliness of the long-distance rider.I have seen the future, and
>> it works.
>>
>> The 111 bus rolls quietly up to the Mjodd terminal in eastern
>> Reykjavik at 11:19 a.m., and I climb aboard. For 45 minutes, we cruise
>> through the suburbs and then to the central square downtown, picking
>> up and discharging eight passengers along the way. Fuel cells that
>> would have filled the space of several passenger seats five years ago
>> are now small enough to fit in the roof panels. And out the exhaust
>> pipe: a trickle of water.
>>
>> http://www.grist.org/comments/soapbox/2005/07/19/mckibben-hydrogenbus/
>>
>> I have a dream...that someday buses will not pollute. Actually we
>> could make it happen now much easier than having all the cars be
>> replaced with hybrid. Just change the fleet of buses to hydrogen or
>> some other technologies out there.
>>
>> We can make it happen with THE REVOLUTION. Coming soon...
>>

> Too optimistic. Somebody, somewhere is probably burning coal or oil to
> make the electricity to electrolyze the water to make the Hydrogen.
> It only really works if the electricity comes from wind, solar, hydro, or,
> dare I say it, NUculear (Bush pronunciation).
> Bill Baka

You will notice that there was no mention of the obvious. If you use the
electricity without converting it to anything it's clean (Hydrogen is not as
clean) then you do get what you want. Shoot, even the Feds recognise that
at tax time. Like the Hybrids (which are actually dismall failures for a
replacement, just a stop gap) you get tax credits if you buy an electric
car. Check out Portland, Ore for being Electric Friendly. But until
everyone gets their noses out of the Petro or Carbon fuel BS don't look for
it to go much further. Electrics now have the same range as the "Hydrogens"
and "Fuel Cells" and are a danged sight easier to maintain without going
boom in the night. Yes, Gertrude, Hydrogen is very, very dangerous.

It has removed 3877 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

"George Conklin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> donquijote1954 wrote:

>> > You don't see it everyday, but it's possible. Just some new
>> > technologies and some political will to make it happen...
>> >
>> > Heaven Help Bus
>> > A visit to Iceland spurs dreams of a hydrogen future
>> >
>> > The loneliness of the long-distance rider.I have seen the future, and
>> > it works.
>> >
>> > The 111 bus rolls quietly up to the Mjodd terminal in eastern
>> > Reykjavik at 11:19 a.m., and I climb aboard. For 45 minutes, we cruise
>> > through the suburbs and then to the central square downtown, picking
>> > up and discharging eight passengers along the way. Fuel cells that
>> > would have filled the space of several passenger seats five years ago
>> > are now small enough to fit in the roof panels. And out the exhaust
>> > pipe: a trickle of water.
>> >
>> > http://www.grist.org/comments/soapbox/2005/07/19/mckibben-hydrogenbus/
>> >
>> > I have a dream...that someday buses will not pollute. Actually we
>> > could make it happen now much easier than having all the cars be
>> > replaced with hybrid. Just change the fleet of buses to hydrogen or
>> > some other technologies out there.
>> >
>> > We can make it happen with THE REVOLUTION. Coming soon...
>> >

>> Too optimistic. Somebody, somewhere is probably burning coal or oil to
>> make the electricity to electrolyze the water to make the Hydrogen.
>> It only really works if the electricity comes from wind, solar, hydro,
>> or, dare I say it, NUculear (Bush pronunciation).
>> Bill Baka

> Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
> efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big time.

Not all, I think I read somewhere where a city went to Electrics.

It has removed 3877 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

"George Conklin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> donquijote1954 wrote:

>> > You don't see it everyday, but it's possible. Just some new
>> > technologies and some political will to make it happen...
>> >
>> > Heaven Help Bus
>> > A visit to Iceland spurs dreams of a hydrogen future
>> >
>> > The loneliness of the long-distance rider.I have seen the future, and
>> > it works.
>> >
>> > The 111 bus rolls quietly up to the Mjodd terminal in eastern
>> > Reykjavik at 11:19 a.m., and I climb aboard. For 45 minutes, we cruise
>> > through the suburbs and then to the central square downtown, picking
>> > up and discharging eight passengers along the way. Fuel cells that
>> > would have filled the space of several passenger seats five years ago
>> > are now small enough to fit in the roof panels. And out the exhaust
>> > pipe: a trickle of water.
>> >
>> > http://www.grist.org/comments/soapbox/2005/07/19/mckibben-hydrogenbus/
>> >
>> > I have a dream...that someday buses will not pollute. Actually we
>> > could make it happen now much easier than having all the cars be
>> > replaced with hybrid. Just change the fleet of buses to hydrogen or
>> > some other technologies out there.
>> >
>> > We can make it happen with THE REVOLUTION. Coming soon...
>> >

>> Too optimistic. Somebody, somewhere is probably burning coal or oil to
>> make the electricity to electrolyze the water to make the Hydrogen.
>> It only really works if the electricity comes from wind, solar, hydro,
>> or, dare I say it, NUculear (Bush pronunciation).
>> Bill Baka

> Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
> efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big time.

"Who killed the electric car" would be a good movie for this thread.
I will never buy anything from GM. Wusses!

George Conklin wrote:
> "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> donquijote1954 wrote:

>>> You don't see it everyday, but it's possible. Just some new
>>> technologies and some political will to make it happen...
>>>
>>> Heaven Help Bus
>>> A visit to Iceland spurs dreams of a hydrogen future
>>>
>>> The loneliness of the long-distance rider.I have seen the future, and
>>> it works.
>>>
>>> The 111 bus rolls quietly up to the Mjodd terminal in eastern
>>> Reykjavik at 11:19 a.m., and I climb aboard. For 45 minutes, we cruise
>>> through the suburbs and then to the central square downtown, picking
>>> up and discharging eight passengers along the way. Fuel cells that
>>> would have filled the space of several passenger seats five years ago
>>> are now small enough to fit in the roof panels. And out the exhaust
>>> pipe: a trickle of water.
>>>
>>> http://www.grist.org/comments/soapbox/2005/07/19/mckibben-hydrogenbus/
>>>
>>> I have a dream...that someday buses will not pollute. Actually we
>>> could make it happen now much easier than having all the cars be
>>> replaced with hybrid. Just change the fleet of buses to hydrogen or
>>> some other technologies out there.
>>>
>>> We can make it happen with THE REVOLUTION. Coming soon...
>>>

>> Too optimistic. Somebody, somewhere is probably burning coal or oil to
>> make the electricity to electrolyze the water to make the Hydrogen.
>> It only really works if the electricity comes from wind, solar, hydro,
>> or, dare I say it, NUculear (Bush pronunciation).
>> Bill Baka

> Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
> efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big time.

Only if nobody rides them. When I was a kid in the Chicago area I could
go anywhere on a weekend with a travel buddy of mine. We took the train
into downtown, then the 'el' ( hard to explain), and over/underground
subway system. Then there were electric trolley buses, and finally
regular buses to get us within walking distance.
And, yes, any one of those modes of transportation sucks fuel big time
if nobody rides them. If they are full they are a good thing. SUV's and
single occupant soccer moms have messed up the equation.
Bill Baka

On Mar 4, 8:33 pm, "George Conklin" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
> efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big time.

Does your proclamation factor in the extra time those cars would be on
the road if each of those morning rush hour transit buses were
replaced by 80-100 cars? Or the fuel cost cars themselves, for that
matter?

And their parking, in terms of distance and time and cost? How's a
fuel cell going to help those things? Heck, a lot of 'efficient' fuel
systems aren't even allowed to park in high-density underground lots.

Transit buses may be inefficient in some places, but in others, like
my downtown, you have to look at the cars and ask "why bother?"

Fastest to slowest in Toronto for distances between 6 and 100 blocks:
Subway, bus, bicycle, streetcar, car. In really bad weather, insert
"pedestrian" between bike and streetcar (up to 50 blocks, anyway.)

"Daryl Hunt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "George Conklin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

problem.

cruise

http://www.grist.org/comments/soapbox/2005/07/19/mckibben-hydrogenbus/

> >> Too optimistic. Somebody, somewhere is probably burning coal or oil to
> >> make the electricity to electrolyze the water to make the Hydrogen.
> >> It only really works if the electricity comes from wind, solar, hydro,
> >> or, dare I say it, NUculear (Bush pronunciation).
> >> Bill Baka

> > Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
> > efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big time.

> Not all, I think I read somewhere where a city went to Electrics.

Ok, that exports pollution to rural areas. And of course a plug-in hybrid
electric car would meet about 90% of the commuting needs of America.

"nash" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "George Conklin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

problem.

cruise

http://www.grist.org/comments/soapbox/2005/07/19/mckibben-hydrogenbus/

> >> Too optimistic. Somebody, somewhere is probably burning coal or oil to
> >> make the electricity to electrolyze the water to make the Hydrogen.
> >> It only really works if the electricity comes from wind, solar, hydro,
> >> or, dare I say it, NUculear (Bush pronunciation).
> >> Bill Baka

> > Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
> > efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big time.

> "Who killed the electric car" would be a good movie for this thread.
> I will never buy anything from GM. Wusses!

The public killed the electric car because lead-acid batteries are not
really of much use in today's world. But a plug-in hybrid would meet the
needs of about 90% of American commuters.

"Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> George Conklin wrote:
> > "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

problem.

> >> Too optimistic. Somebody, somewhere is probably burning coal or oil to
> >> make the electricity to electrolyze the water to make the Hydrogen.
> >> It only really works if the electricity comes from wind, solar, hydro,
> >> or, dare I say it, NUculear (Bush pronunciation).
> >> Bill Baka

> > Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
> > efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big time.
> >

> Only if nobody rides them. When I was a kid in the Chicago area I could
> go anywhere on a weekend with a travel buddy of mine. We took the train
> into downtown, then the 'el' ( hard to explain), and over/underground
> subway system. Then there were electric trolley buses, and finally
> regular buses to get us within walking distance.
> And, yes, any one of those modes of transportation sucks fuel big time
> if nobody rides them. If they are full they are a good thing. SUV's and
> single occupant soccer moms have messed up the equation.
> Bill Baka

Actually a SUV would use about the same fuel as a current transit bus.

On Mar 4, 2:55 pm, "donquijote1954" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Mar 4, 9:49 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 3, 11:47 am, "donquijote1954" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > Hey, be smart. You are part of the solution, not part of the problem.
> > > And you save the buck. Dinosaurs are a thing of the past and the
> > > little furry animals are here to stay.

> > > There are two versions of it...

> > > bike:

> > >http://www.zazzle.com/product/235847689274986069

> > > and bus:

> > >http://www.zazzle.com/product/235396990102826110

> > OK, how is the bus not polluting?

> You don't see it everyday, but it's possible. Just some new
> technologies and some political will to make it happen...
>
> Heaven Help Bus
> A visit to Iceland spurs dreams of a hydrogen future
>
> The loneliness of the long-distance rider.I have seen the future, and
> it works.
>
> The 111 bus rolls quietly up to the Mjodd terminal in eastern
> Reykjavik at 11:19 a.m., and I climb aboard. For 45 minutes, we cruise
> through the suburbs and then to the central square downtown, picking
> up and discharging eight passengers along the way. Fuel cells that
> would have filled the space of several passenger seats five years ago
> are now small enough to fit in the roof panels. And out the exhaust
> pipe: a trickle of water.
>
> http://www.grist.org/comments/soapbox/2005/07/19/mckibben-hydrogenbus/
>
> I have a dream...that someday buses will not pollute. Actually we
> could make it happen now much easier than having all the cars be
> replaced with hybrid. Just change the fleet of buses to hydrogen or
> some other technologies out there.
>
> We can make it happen with THE REVOLUTION. Coming soon...

How do they make the hydrogen? Do ya suppose their is some energy use
to make that happen? And is the energy gained higher or lower than the
energy expense to get the hydrogen?

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 12:29:39 GMT, "George Conklin"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> George Conklin wrote:
>> > "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...

>problem.

>> > Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
>> > efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big time.
>> >

>> Only if nobody rides them. When I was a kid in the Chicago area I could
>> go anywhere on a weekend with a travel buddy of mine. We took the train
>> into downtown, then the 'el' ( hard to explain), and over/underground
>> subway system. Then there were electric trolley buses, and finally
>> regular buses to get us within walking distance.
>> And, yes, any one of those modes of transportation sucks fuel big time
>> if nobody rides them. If they are full they are a good thing. SUV's and
>> single occupant soccer moms have messed up the equation.
>> Bill Baka

>Actually a SUV would use about the same fuel as a current transit bus.

George, while SUVs are fuel guzzlers, they still get 2 - 3 times the
miles per gallon as a transit bus. The question is whether the
transit bus average loading is 3 or more times greater than the
average loading of an SUV in similar circumstances (urban area driving
only and dead head trips included). Any time there is carpooling
there probably is either dead head mileage or circuity, sometimes
both.

On 5 Mar 2007 05:22:38 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mar 4, 2:55 pm, "donquijote1954" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>> On Mar 4, 9:49 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>> > OK, how is the bus not polluting?

>> You don't see it everyday, but it's possible. Just some new
>> technologies and some political will to make it happen...
>>
>> Heaven Help Bus
>> A visit to Iceland spurs dreams of a hydrogen future
>>
>> The loneliness of the long-distance rider.I have seen the future, and
>> it works.
>>
>> The 111 bus rolls quietly up to the Mjodd terminal in eastern
>> Reykjavik at 11:19 a.m., and I climb aboard. For 45 minutes, we cruise
>> through the suburbs and then to the central square downtown, picking
>> up and discharging eight passengers along the way. Fuel cells that
>> would have filled the space of several passenger seats five years ago
>> are now small enough to fit in the roof panels. And out the exhaust
>> pipe: a trickle of water.
>>
>> http://www.grist.org/comments/soapbox/2005/07/19/mckibben-hydrogenbus/
>>
>> I have a dream...that someday buses will not pollute. Actually we
>> could make it happen now much easier than having all the cars be
>> replaced with hybrid. Just change the fleet of buses to hydrogen or
>> some other technologies out there.
>>
>> We can make it happen with THE REVOLUTION. Coming soon...

>How do they make the hydrogen? Do ya suppose their is some energy use
>to make that happen? And is the energy gained higher or lower than the
>energy expense to get the hydrogen?

In Iceland, I believe that they have geothermal power plants taking
advantage of hot lava areas underground.

In article <[email protected]>,
"George Conklin" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
> efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big time.

That is simply not true. A transit bus is a large mass that experiences
more than average stop-and-go travel. For that kind of use case,
regenerative braking will show bigger gains than it would for your
average highway commuter car.

--
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, 4ax.com, buzzardnews.com, googlegroups.com,
heapnode.com, localhost, x-privat.org

"George Conklin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "nash" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> "George Conklin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...

> problem.

> cruise
>> >> >

> http://www.grist.org/comments/soapbox/2005/07/19/mckibben-hydrogenbus/

>> > Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
>> > efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big time.

>> "Who killed the electric car" would be a good movie for this thread.
>> I will never buy anything from GM. Wusses!
>>

> The public killed the electric car because lead-acid batteries are not
> really of much use in today's world. But a plug-in hybrid would meet the
> needs of about 90% of American commuters.

If GM kept it it would have evolved because people were in love with it.
They crushed brand new cars and took them away from people who wanted to pay
for them. They were under pressure from oil and car makers to scrap it
because it would have been the right thing at the right time. Gee where
have I heard that one before. There would be no war with the US either if
they went that way.

wrote:
> > > I have a dream...that someday buses will not pollute. Actually we
> > > could make it happen now much easier than having all the cars be
> > > replaced with hybrid. Just change the fleet of buses to hydrogen or
> > > some other technologies out there.

> > > We can make it happen with THE REVOLUTION. Coming soon...

> > Too optimistic. Somebody, somewhere is probably burning coal or oil to
> > make the electricity to electrolyze the water to make the Hydrogen.
> > It only really works if the electricity comes from wind, solar, hydro,
> > or, dare I say it, NUculear (Bush pronunciation).
> > Bill Baka

> Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
> efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big time.- Hide quoted text -

Only true if less than 7 passengers ride it. And still it means fewer
vehicles out there to feed traffic jams...

Using Mass Transit
The key to mass transit is the word "mass". The more of us who use it,
the more global warming pollution it saves. That's because a bus or
train releases more CO2 into the air than a car, but a bus or train
holds many, many more people and thus keeps all those cars off the
road.

A bus with just 7 passengers is more fuel efficient than the average
car. A full bus? Six times more efficient. And a full train? A
whopping 15 times more efficient.

http://www.globalwarmingsolutions.o...warmingsolutions.org/publictransportation.php

> The 111 bus rolls quietly up to the Mjodd terminal in eastern
> Reykjavik at 11:19 a.m., and I climb aboard. For 45 minutes, we cruise
> through the suburbs and then to the central square downtown, picking
> up and discharging eight passengers along the way. Fuel cells that
> would have filled the space of several passenger seats five years ago
> are now small enough to fit in the roof panels. And out the exhaust
> pipe: a trickle of water.

Did you realize that water vapor is MORE of a greenhouse gas than CO2?