Ride Around The Bear

Sharon

Guest
Has anyone ever did the 100 Mile Road Ride entitled "Ride around the Bear"? Starts in Redlands, goes
up to Onyx Summit.... Rides around Big Bear Lake I believe. Just curious about any details ...
steepest grade, what the descents/roads are like, etc.

Thanks.

"Sharon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Has anyone ever did the 100 Mile Road Ride entitled "Ride around the Bear"? Starts in Redlands,
> goes up to Onyx Summit.... Rides around Big Bear Lake I believe. Just curious about any details
> ... steepest grade, what the descents/roads are like, etc.
>
> Thanks.
Yes, I have done it a couple of times. There is nothing super steep but there is a lot of climbing.
Probably the steepest part is from Big Bear Lake to Onyx Summit (8000 ft). Earlier there is about 25
miles of solid climbing out of Redlands area and up to Big Bear area. That is a little tough because
there is considerable traffic. Then several miles of good rollers until Big Bear Lake. The descent
from Onyx Summit is nice but control your speed. I watched a guy crash at high speed because he hit
a baseball sized rock in the road.

Tom

Hi Tom, thanks. I am actually used to doing a lot of climbing (the area I live is nothing but
hills), so thanks for the info. I guess the biggest thing will be adjusting to the altitude. The
traffic also might be a little rough as you suggest...so maybe getting an early start would be
beneficial.

I'm looking forward to the ride. :))

news:[email protected]...