Ride by yourself or with someone?

mike7382

Jul 27, 2004
I was just wondering if u like to ride by yourself or with a friend? I personally like to ride myself that way I don't have to wait for anyone.

i like to ride alone - at least for the time being as i am super competitive and often kill myself to keep up with people who are good cimbers.

when i have improved a bit i am gonna do some group riding as it's always nice to have someone to talk to.

mike7382 said:
I was just wondering if u like to ride by yourself or with a friend? I personally like to ride myself that way I don't have to wait for anyone.

You know I was going to post this thread on Monday and add one more option as in "do you ride with a group or club". I ride with my wife she seems to appreciate my companionship and I block traffic for her. I am a bit faster than her especially in climbing ok a lot faster but I did ride mostly alone in the 1980's about 250 miles per week about 100 now. When I do ride alone I tend to push maybe too hard at least for my ability.In 1984 I had no limit,ride all day paty all night. That the way I chose to remember it anyway.

mike7382 said:
I like to ride by myself when i'm doing intervals or something specific, if i'm doing 150-200km in E1 I'd rather some company.

i ride alone, mainly because there is no one i know to ride with, i used to ride every sunday with my mate, which was great. since we used to find ourselves racing each other all the time.

he left to join the army, got killed now i have no'one to ride with. i miss riding with others, occassionally i'll come across someone on one of our sprint strips and i'll end up racing taking the lead and pull them along for a few miles.

Although riding alone means you can monitor your heart rate and travel at 90% and put in place recovery times when you require them the most.

I live in wigan, so if anyone needs someone to wait for, i'm up for a company ride.

closesupport said:
i ride alone, mainly because there is no one i know to ride with, i used to ride every sunday with my mate, which was great. since we used to find ourselves racing each other all the time.

he left to join the army, got killed now i have no'one to ride with. i miss riding with others, occassionally i'll come across someone on one of our sprint strips and i'll end up racing taking the lead and pull them along for a few miles.

Although riding alone means you can monitor your heart rate and travel at 90% and put in place recovery times when you require them the most.

I live in wigan, so if anyone needs someone to wait for, i'm up for a company ride.

Sorry to hear about your friend but I'm sure he's with you in spirit!

I did not vote, not sure how two. I have enjoyed a summer of riding with my 15 year old daughter, but now school starts, and I'll only see her late at night (I work nights and ride mornings) and weekends.

So I will start riding alone next week!

I ride by myself usually. Sometimes I ride witha frined, my brother, or my wife. These tend to be fairly light rides as they don't ride as often as i do. Reasons: I like to feel like the lone wolf out there; I like the meditative aspects of riding alone; I like to compete against myself and my own capacity; if i'm riding like ****, no one else knows; I ride at weird times (often at night); I don't think I'd like to ride with many of the people in the local group rides-some are either really beyond me in skill, and the others seem to be very careless in traffic. i wouldn't mind mixing small group rides with riding by myself, but don't know anyone I could do this with.

By myself...I live in a 3 town area that has 3000 people combined. I don't think anyone else here rides at all. BUt, I'm within driving distance of Dallas/Ft. Worth, and the riders there are plentiful...

Mine is about half of each. I like to ride alone because I can push harder and work on sprints, climbs, etc. My wife recently started riding and she's really not into pushing too hard. She doesn't like to do rides that have hills, I'm always dropping her, even though I'm really not trying to, she has to stop a lot for water. Stuff like that. I like riding with her and I think it's great that she has started riding but when I want to get in some serious riding, I have to go alone. I've done some group rides but the either don't happen often or I can't make them for one reason or another. Anyone in the Winston Salem area wants to ride, drop me a line. You may have to wait on me but I don't give up.

Steve

closesupport said:

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

We're on a bank holiday here - so on Saturday myself and Mrs Limerickman
went to visit my brother in law 82 miles away.
I decided to cycle it (weather here is lovely - and Mrs Limerickman decided
to drive).
It took me 5hours 10mins - I wasn't trying to kill myself or anything, but for the first time ever, I actually missed have someone to talk to.
I've got a fair few miles under my belt by now and this was the first time that
I can recall feeling this way during cycle (poor me ! LOL).
Maybe I'm getting old ?

limerickman said:
I am sorry to hear of your loss.

We're on a bank holiday here - so on Saturday myself and Mrs Limerickman
went to visit my brother in law 82 miles away.
I decided to cycle it (weather here is lovely - and Mrs Limerickman decided
to drive).
It took me 5hours 10mins - I wasn't trying to kill myself or anything, but for the first time ever, I actually missed have someone to talk to.
I've got a fair few miles under my belt by now and this was the first time that
I can recall feeling this way during cycle (poor me ! LOL).
Maybe I'm getting old ?
Nah! maybe its more the fact that you ain't no superhero maybe your just human like the rest of us, we all pass our time in the way we enjoy, plus hrs is quite alng time to spend alone i'd say.

At least the convosation would have been something you wanted to know or understood.

closesupport said:
Nah! maybe its more the fact that you ain't no superhero maybe your just human like the rest of us, we all pass our time in the way we enjoy, plus hrs is quite alng time to spend alone i'd say.

At least the convosation would have been something you wanted to know or understood.

I'm sure you'll agree that having someone to talk do does make the time pass more quickly ?

I know your part of the world - Wigan.
My grandmother was from Bolton - which is just a few miles up the road from Wigan.
Good rugby league country Wigan !

limerickman said:
I'm sure you'll agree that having someone to talk do does make the time pass more quickly ?

My grandmother was from Bolton - which is just a few miles up the road from Wigan.
Bolton, i ride around there at the weekends, around rivington, anglesark, belemont, edgerton... it nice over at the back, some great climbs and some amazing long straight winding roads. best place near me to ride thats for sure.:)

limerickman said:

i agree it does, not just that, if you have an accident in the middle of nowhere, you can always send your mate for help.

i have had to cycle some miles, with a broken colarbone and a dislocated hip, mainly because i had no one to go get help..

riding with someone else has some advantages. i now my mate would never have left me out in the sticks like that if he had been there, to continue is ride.

thats probably the thing that i worry about the most when going out, going fast on roads where you dont see so much traffic. the fact that i could have an accident, i could get really hurt and the fact that i could be there for sometime until, i get found.

closesupport said:
i agree it does, not just that, if you have an accident in the middle of nowhere, you can always send your mate for help.

i have had to cycle some miles, with a broken colarbone and a dislocated hip, mainly because i had no one to go get help..

riding with someone else has some advantages. i now my mate would never have left me out in the sticks like that if he had been there, to continue is ride.

thats probably the thing that i worry about the most when going out, going fast on roads where you dont see so much traffic. the fact that i could have an accident, i could get really hurt and the fact that i could be there for sometime until, i get found.

have you got a mobilephone ?

If you're out by yourself it is handy to have - just in case you do have an accident you can phone someone to help you.

limerickman said:
have you got a mobilephone ?

If you're out by yourself it is handy to have - just in case you do have an accident you can phone someone to help you.
its oey having a mile phone aout your person. personally i'd rather ride without anything in my pockets.

i have spent enough time at the side o the road treating gravel rash and removing stones from wounds. i would hate to thin that i would e picing pieces o mobile phone rm a diferent injury site.

where is the best place to carry a phone other than about ones person?

mike7382 said:

I ride by myself because then noone has to wait for me.

And mostly because there is noone around to train with - its a bit of a drive to races each week.