Ride by yourself or with someone?

closesupport said:
its oey having a mile phone aout your person. personally i'd rather ride without anything in my pockets.

i have spent enough time at the side o the road treating gravel rash and removing stones from wounds. i would hate to thin that i would e picing pieces o mobile phone rm a diferent injury site.

where is the best place to carry a phone other than about ones person?

Mine is in my bag under my seat with my tire levers and CO2. Just a flip phone it doesn't take up much space.

jhuskey said:
Mine is in my bag under my seat with my tire levers and CO2. Just a flip phone it doesn't take up much space.
I have bottle wracks there, attached to the seatpost! i have nwhere to put it:eek: unless i dangle it from my tri-bars.

I do some of both, ride alone when I’m training hard (mainly because I can’t talk at all when doing some effort above the average), ride in group at recovery rides, when I can talk all the time.

I didn't vote because i do a bit of both. I prefer to ride with a bunch and try to do this several times a week (or as often as my current schedule will allow), but if i need to do specific training or my schedule doesn't fit in with the bunch rides, then i'll ride on my own as necessary to get the kms or specific training done. So it often works out to be a couple of bunch rides per week plus a couple of solo rides.

Solo. My bro may be joining me in the near future (getting old enough), but the main reason I ride solo is b/c all my friends moved to cars as soon as they got their license. I stayed true!

In my town, I am probably one of maybe five kids (that was a safe answer, probably only 3) between the ages of 15-20, that still rides a lot and takes the sport seriously.

I don't bring a phone. I ride to hear myself breathe, cut myself off from the obnoxious drivers and people, I go into my own little world.

Sure it would be nice to ride with someone, but whatever. I manage!

Plus, I don't think a lot of people can/could keep up with me, unless I'm training in the lower ranges of my heart rate zones...

mike7382 said:
I was just wondering if u like to ride by yourself or with a friend? I personally like to ride myself that way I don't have to wait for anyone.
I normally go mountain biking by myself. I recently joined the local mountain biking organization and joined them for a group ride at a nearby state park. On the positive side, I enjoyed the camaraderie and found I was a better rider than I thought. On the down side, a rider would be in my way and I would be forced to stop. All in all, I like both options.

Cowboyathlete said:
I normally go mountain biking by myself. I recently joined the local mountain biking organization and joined them for a group ride at a nearby state park. On the positive side, I enjoyed the camaraderie and found I was a better rider than I thought. On the down side, a rider would be in my way and I would be forced to stop. All in all, I like both options.
I ride both alone and with friends.

TrekDedicated said:
Solo. My bro may be joining me in the near future (getting old enough), but the main reason I ride solo is b/c all my friends moved to cars as soon as they got their license. I stayed true!

In my town, I am probably one of maybe five kids (that was a safe answer, probably only 3) between the ages of 15-20, that still rides a lot and takes the sport seriously.

I don't bring a phone. I ride to hear myself breathe, cut myself off from the obnoxious drivers and people, I go into my own little world.

Sure it would be nice to ride with someone, but whatever. I manage!

Plus, I don't think a lot of people can/could keep up with me, unless I'm training in the lower ranges of my heart rate zones...
where are you! and where do you cycle?

I usually ride by myself because there isn't anyone else to go with,so it's nice to get some company when I go out for a ride. I find that I train much to hard when I am by myself, does anybody else do that or am I just crazy?

budge311 said:
I usually ride by myself because there isn't anyone else to go with,so it's nice to get some company when I go out for a ride. I find that I train much to hard when I am by myself, does anybody else do that or am I just crazy?

I can relate to that! On a recent ride by my self, the bike felt heavy. I stopped to see if either brake was dragging. So I pushed on. And made record time for that ride!

I miss someone to pace me, so I must learn to do it my self. Watch the speed and / or heart rate.

closesupport said:
Bolton, i ride around there at the weekends, around rivington, anglesark, belemont, edgerton... it nice over at the back, some great climbs and some amazing long straight winding roads. best place near me to ride thats for sure.:)

"some amazing long straight winding roads"

What do you add to your sports drink? Rum, Brandy, Scotch? I'd like to see what one of those roads look like. Can you load a pic? :)

I prefer to train alone when I am doing high intensity work. Sometimes in a group when doing sprint work. At the velodrome track, you have riders everywhere training. So you have various combinations and options if you are not training to a plan.

I like to ride with someone else. It pushes me harder. The only problem now is that I have become a good rider and I can't find anyone who challenges me. I don't mean that in a cocky way, as I'm sure there are a lot of people that could kill me, but I am just referring to my circle of friends. Therefore I ride alone frequently.

I find that riding with another person or more specifically with a group does not allow you to get YOUR workout in for the day. If its an easy ride someone will be there to push and vice versa. I can't think of a better way to perform specific workouts than by yourself. And maybe once a week throw in a group. ride.

By myself. One of the main reasons I got into cycling other than fun/exercise was to get away from people and clear my head. It works.

I like both! Sometimes it is very boring to ride 4 hours or more alone and I will be very happy to have company! I prefer to train with someone (or more, why not) as strong as I am, because we can talk on flat terrain and making tempo to each other when climbing! But I become a little bit nervous if I must, for example, wait someone on top of the climb, because Im not doing that when Im alone!
If you have cool teammates, team trainings are the best!:)

Sometimes, I like to be alone, because that what Downeaster said and because I dont stop a lot and I have feeling that training was better.

i would ride with a training partner, but no one around here wants to ride with a 19 year old. (most guys are in their 30s and 40s). i am more mature than most my age, and i am an experienced rider. my college doesn't have cycling team.

i think it would really help my training if i could train with someone of equal or better ability.

velomanct said:
i would ride with a training partner, but no one around here wants to ride with a 19 year old. (most guys are in their 30s and 40s). i am more mature than most my age, and i am an experienced rider. my college doesn't have cycling team.

i think it would really help my training if i could train with someone of equal or better ability.
Where are you from, i wouldn't mind someone to ride with over longer distances, plus someone who didn't mind atrip to the veledrome from afew laps, and even an hour or 2 in the gym. everyone near me who i have grown up with are either into drink drugs rugby or body building, they have there own ideas about fitness training, like its done in the gym... ut more often than not they draw the line at upper body training

closesupport said:
Where are you from, i wouldn't mind someone to ride with over longer distances, plus someone who didn't mind atrip to the veledrome from afew laps, and even an hour or 2 in the gym. everyone near me who i have grown up with are either into drink drugs rugby or body building, they have there own ideas about fitness training, like its done in the gym... ut more often than not they draw the line at upper body training
wallingford, CT

i know some guys, but the only time we ride together is at the group ride in our area.
most of the roadies around are not into racing, and have little interest in inflicting hours of pain on themselves through tortureous workouts.

i know what you mean about those gym types. the only reason they are there is to get big so they think they are cool. when they see you out on the road they are intimidated that you are hauling ass down the road, so they try to make themself feel better by knocking you.

i don't even go to the gym. it's too much money, and it's easier to walk to my basement. i spent $100 and got all the free weights i need to do some serious lifting this winter. the only downside of not going to the gym is that there are usually some fine females working out there.

It depends. Luckily where I am there is never a shortage of riders, so I don't have that problem. I can always find someone faster than me. So I can always push myself.

But in my normal circle of friends I'm the only one in lycra and shaved legs...so I'mnormally out there alone. Anything over two hours I prefer company.