Ride Disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andy

Once a year I ride on a group ride with our local bicycling club. Today was the day. We went on a 40
mile ride and I was pleasantly surprised: Although I was getting a good workout, I had no trouble
keeping up with the group. In fact on flats and downhills, I was coasting or braking.

On the way back with 9 miles to go, my speed plummeted. There were a few hills, and then a mild
upward grade. My pulse went to 100 percent of my max (using that 220 less your age formula), and
stayed within 10 beats of it. When the grade flattened, I still could not go above 16 mph, so I
figured I either burned myself out or the grade was steeper than it looked. (Hey, that does happen,
ordinarily, I judge a grade by how fast I am able to go.) The leader had to come back to me and rode
with me so I would not get lost. How embarrassing! Not only that, I was so exhausted at the end of
the ride that my hands were trembling. I would not think of driving home until after I rested 15
minutes. When I got home I found that the rear brake had broken and was pressing pretty hard against
the rim. If only I had paid a little more attention to the dragging when I put the bike in the mini
van, I would have been a little less embarrassed. I was just too tired and I certainly did not
expect that.

Oh well, there is always next year.

Andy

>I rested 15 minutes. When I got home I found that the rear brake had broken and was pressing pretty
>hard against the rim. If only I had paid a little more attention to the dragging when I put the
>bike in the mini van, I would have been a little less embarrassed. I was just too tired and I
>certainly did not expect that.
>
>Oh well, there is always next year.

Still, you did manage to finish your 40 mile trek with the rear brake nearly locked and slowing your
progress. I'd say that's a pretty darn good ride and finish....

Scoot
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Trying to save someone from their own stupidity is like trying to teach a pig how to dance: it
wastes your time, and annoys the pig."

I can only say that, if that's the worst you have to put up with, you'll probably live to be
a hundred.

I had the same thing happen ten years ago. It was a broken rear axle. I DID think I was over the
hill and ready for the grave.
--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone High Racer Clone
www.gate.net/~teblum

Andy, That was totally silly of you. Always, Always, BLAME THE BIKE FIRST! I learned that from an
old, Roadie Zen Master. Don

Status
Not open for further replies.