Ride Disaster

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Andy, Aug 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy

Andy Guest

Once a year I ride on a group ride with our local bicycling club. Today was the day. We went on a 40
    mile ride and I was pleasantly surprised: Although I was getting a good workout, I had no trouble
    keeping up with the group. In fact on flats and downhills, I was coasting or braking.

On the way back with 9 miles to go, my speed plummeted. There were a few hills, and then a mild
    upward grade. My pulse went to 100 percent of my max (using that 220 less your age formula), and
    stayed within 10 beats of it. When the grade flattened, I still could not go above 16 mph, so I
    figured I either burned myself out or the grade was steeper than it looked. (Hey, that does happen,
    ordinarily, I judge a grade by how fast I am able to go.) The leader had to come back to me and rode
    with me so I would not get lost. How embarrassing! Not only that, I was so exhausted at the end of
    the ride that my hands were trembling. I would not think of driving home until after I rested 15
    minutes. When I got home I found that the rear brake had broken and was pressing pretty hard against
    the rim. If only I had paid a little more attention to the dragging when I put the bike in the mini
    van, I would have been a little less embarrassed. I was just too tired and I certainly did not
    expect that.

Oh well, there is always next year.

Andy

Tags:

2. Scoot

Scoot Guest

>I rested 15 minutes. When I got home I found that the rear brake had broken and was pressing pretty
    >hard against the rim. If only I had paid a little more attention to the dragging when I put the
    >bike in the mini van, I would have been a little less embarrassed. I was just too tired and I
    >certainly did not expect that.
    >
    >Oh well, there is always next year.

Still, you did manage to finish your 40 mile trek with the rear brake nearly locked and slowing your
    progress. I'd say that's a pretty darn good ride and finish....

Scoot
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Trying to save someone from their own stupidity is like trying to teach a pig how to dance: it
    wastes your time, and annoys the pig."

3. Tom Blum

Tom Blum Guest

I can only say that, if that's the worst you have to put up with, you'll probably live to be
    a hundred.

I had the same thing happen ten years ago. It was a broken rear axle. I DID think I was over the
    hill and ready for the grave.
    --
    Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone High Racer Clone
    www.gate.net/~teblum

4. Don

Don Guest

Andy, That was totally silly of you. Always, Always, BLAME THE BIKE FIRST! I learned that from an
    old, Roadie Zen Master. Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.