Ride from Victoria up through Great Dividing Range

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Midex, May 28, 2003.

  1. Midex

    Midex Guest

    Hello person, I am wanting to plan a trip from Melbourne to ride up through the great dividing range
    and end up in Sydney. So this trip would take two to four weeks. I am open to any suggestions from
    anyone thats done similar trip before, I would prefer to stay off-road as much as possible and camp
    out in the bush as I go. Appreciate any help.

    Tags:

  2. Midex wrote:

    > Hello person, I am wanting to plan a trip from Melbourne to ride up through the great dividing
    > range and end up in Sydney. So this trip would take two to four weeks. I am open to any
    > suggestions from anyone thats done similar trip before, I would prefer to stay off-road as much as
    > possible and camp out in the bush as I go. Appreciate any help.

    Define bush?

    Two extremes
    1) Follow the coast on the eastern side,
    2) Go north from Melbourne to the middle of NSW, then head east when you are level with Sydney. This
    is sort of a farming country bush.

    If you want a mixture, then the Bicycle Australia Southern Cross Trail goes to Shepparton, Dookie,
    Albury, Khancoban, then either

    1 Tumbarumbar, Cootmundra, Harden, Yass (?), Goulburn, etc,, or
    3) Snowy Mtns, Thredbo, Jindabyne, Cooma, Canberra, Goulburn, etc

    Goulburn, Marulan, Bundanoon, Moss Vale, Hill Top, Picton & Campbelltown. BV (?) should have a
    touring resource centre with old Freewheeling magazines covering this route. BA haven't put in on
    the internet yet.

    If by bush you mean trees, then look at Orbst(?), Cann River(?), ??? river in eastern Victoria.
    Basically head east from Melbourne, follow the coast, then pick up one of the two river valleys that
    take you towards Cooma. Martin ??? & Ray Peace guides might be useful.

    --
    Terry Collins {:)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www: http://www.woa.com.au Wombat Outdoor
    Adventures <Bicycles, Computers, GIS, Printing,

  3. Korris

    Korris Guest

    Hello all,

    Midex wrote
    > Hello person, I am wanting to plan a trip from Melbourne to ride up through the great dividing
    > range and end up in Sydney. So this trip would take two to four weeks. I am open to any
    > suggestions from anyone thats done similar trip before, I would prefer to stay off-road as much as
    > possible and camp out in the bush as I go.

    A while back, someone posted a link about their experiences on an Oz east coast MTB trip. The
    website is at:

    http://www.heuristics.us/index1.html

    Click on the "Route" link on the left had side of the web page for the route taken. The route taken
    basically follows what one of Terry Collins' (great) suggestions in his reply to you has outlined.

    Cheers, Nick

  4. woodduck

    woodduck Guest

    A possible route would be :

    Healesville-Mansfield-Whitfield-Myrtleford-Mt Hotham-Omeo-Benambra-Cowombat Flat The Pilot-Tom
    Groggin-Olsens Lookout-Gery Mare fire Trail - Round Mountain- Cabramurra- Rule Point - Long Plain
    Road - Brindabella

    Takes about 3 weeks. Only problem is that it is supposed illegal to ride MTB in Victorian wilderness
    areas. I had no problem thought meeting many police on a search mission. They though MTB was a good
    way to get round. May have differnt response from Ranger though.

  5. Midex

    Midex Guest

    Thankyou people. I've got limitedd internet accessabilty at present so havnt had a good scout for
    info. My next problem is the desire to have broadband internet access while on my bicycle. I wont
    have problem charging with a dynamo but anyone buffs out there know of a most economic way to
    achieve such a means.

  6. Midex wrote:

    > Thankyou people. I've got limitedd internet accessabilty at present so havnt had a good scout for
    > info. My next problem is the desire to have broadband internet access while on my bicycle. I wont
    > have problem charging with a dynamo but anyone buffs out there know of a most economic way to
    > achieve such a means.

    At which point I ROTFLMAO. You need to get out of the city more. If you want internet access, try
    internet cafes along the way, which probably means only major towns.

    Otherwise, you are thinking two way satellite and on board generator, plus a big wallet.

    --
    Terry Collins {:)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www: http://www.woa.com.au Wombat Outdoor
    Adventures <Bicycles, Computers, GIS, Printing,
    Publishing>

  7. Malvern_star

    Malvern_star New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2002
    Alot of the country you'll be riding is very steep , you won't wanna be carrying too much gear unless you plan to use additional methods of transport(train , buses etc). If you need access to internet , then libraries or internet cafe are a better option. If you want communications , use CDMA phone , if you just want communication incase of emergency then use a quality UHF portable as there are UHF repeaters in just about every locality. Take EPIRB(especially if you plan to do remote treks)
    And......
    Do lots of research , look at topographic maps , a CD is availiable with all the topographic maps this'll give you an accurate idea of the terrain and will enable you to make estimations/plans of you're intended route.
    Plan to carry alot of water.

  8. Malvern_star

    Malvern_star New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2002
    They are great spots , I know some of that trek:D I found the Victorian rangers a bit more leniant than NSW. If people can drive 4wds on much of the tracks then I guessed MTBs were welcome too.