Ride guide for Melb - and perhaps other cities?

Andrew Price

Guest
Staying next week near what used to be called Spencer St station and would
like to pick up with some Melbourne road bunches, riding for an hour or so
before work during the week.

Told by a Melbourne guy visiting Sydney that a few road groups meet at about
6am on a corner of the Nepean Highway and a road I have now forgotten but
I'm sure will be common knowledge here.

Personally - would like to get some recommendations for rides in Melbourne
that don't mind the odd foreigner joining the fray with coffee afterwards -
just so long as you don't have to do any of those hook turns (Sydney boy
shudders).

More generally - I have the impression that posts to this ng are dominated
by Melbourne riders, with Brisbane a close second but it does seem to be
read across the country. Because of that readership, I wonder if it would be
useful to get an Australian capital cities table giving some indications of
like rides.

For example my understanding of what the Hell ride was (still is?) in
Melbourne sort of equates to the quicker bunch riding from Colluzzi's cafe
in Sydney (no prisoners taken, very Anglo Saxon vocabulary, regrettably less
than 100% compliant with every road rule). Not for everyone but if that sort
of ride is what you are looking for then a comparative table may assist
those who get shunted around the country (taking their bikes with them) in
finding like minded riders.

I think I could cover some of the Sydney rides (but would need more info esp
on the NW and SW suburbs) - from other cities others may be prepared to
contribute info on days, start times, destinations/durations, organizer if
any, pace, warnings/local customs of rides they would like to either commend
or perhaps condemn.

If we got sufficient replies I would be happy to prepare and post the
resulting table (maybe in the faq if that's a good home).

best, Andrew
(remove the .x1 to reply direct)

Andrew Price said:
Staying next week near what used to be called Spencer St station and would
like to pick up with some Melbourne road bunches, riding for an hour or so
before work during the week.
hi Andrew - you might try the BikeNow site for starters (www.bikenow.com.au). It has some bunch rides listed (got to "on your bike" and then "places to ride" or similar). Enjoy your stay :)

cheers,
ali

Andrew Price said:
[...]

Check out hippy's list of rides - http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/TrainingRides.htm

Looks like that 6am ride you mentioned is there! Have fun. :)

SuzieB said:
Check out hippy's list of rides - http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/TrainingRides.htm

Looks like that 6am ride you mentioned is there! Have fun. :)
I decided to get up early Monday and check out this ride, but i think i got there at about 6:04 and there was no sign of them. Since it was more of a recovery ride for me, I decided not to chase hard and see if I could catch/find them. I met another rider while heading out along Nepean, and he said that it still runs, its still quite a big bunch, and they leave at 6 on the dot.

I guess I'll have to set the alarm 5-10 mins earlier next time I decide to join :)

Ash

SuzieB said:
Check out hippy's list of rides - http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/TrainingRides.htm

Looks like that 6am ride you mentioned is there! Have fun. :)
Yeh the 6am ride is good, fast on tues and thurs and medium on other days. Lot of people, but you better be a fan of the bike snob roadie attitude that has recently been advertised in another thread because that is where it reigns supreme

http://www.carnegiecycling.com.au/index.php?c=Training

> If we got sufficient replies I would be happy to prepare and post the
> resulting table (maybe in the faq if that's a good home).

It's been done a million times :) the link above is one of about 10 or
more listing the main bunch training rides around Melbourne.

Jono L said:
Yeh the 6am ride is good, fast on tues and thurs and medium on other days. Lot of people, but you better be a fan of the bike snob roadie attitude that has recently been advertised in another thread because that is where it reigns supreme

I think they only snobbery is with regard your skills, bad riding is not tolerated. A huge bunch is not the place to learn ride in a bunch.

Some of the regular riders will occasionally turn up with a mountain bike with no issues (I assume because the other one is out of action).

Not defending bike snobbery in commuting, justifying it the bunch only!

Hey Andrew, wont be around next week, would have been good to meet up for a ride though.... Corner of Nepean Hwy and North Road....

at 5:45 am or 6:00 am

cruisy, stop/start with the lights down to Mordiallac and then helter skelter back to St Kilda..... (as previously posted, Tue/Thu, fast days) the 5:45 am group is probably not as suicidal as the 6:00 am ride, I think a lot of riders who do the hell ride are in the 6:00 am group. And yes they are deadly on timing, usually on the dot they leave.

If you are a few minutes late, you can usually catch up to them, just have to crank up a little for a while, if not, ride down Nepean Hwy and turn off at Mentone Road, hooks you back up to beach road and you might just get there before they are heading back.

Have been meaning to do another Hell Ride soon, but after the last one I did, months ago, it was more a (Not-So)Hell ride, with the police escorts. However, from Frankston out to Mt Eliza and back to Frankston will be guaranteed, thigh killing, lung burning, keep up if you can through the undulations.

I would not say they are snobby.... there are little clicky groups in the ride, but everytime I have taken the initiative and chatted to someone, usually no problems, not much chatting on the ride back though on the fast days.

Have fun in Melbourne! If you are here on the weekend you might be able to meet up with the BR guys! for more thigh/calf hurting action.