ride in London

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by shayla7027, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. shayla7027

    shayla7027 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Hi -

    i am leaving Los Angeles this Sunday for a three month stay in Europe. I will be in London. Are there any good rides. i am a cat 1, but doing winter PACE!

    thanks, Shayla:cool:

    Tags:

  2. On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:47:43 +1000, shayla7027 wrote:

    > Hi -
    >
    > i am leaving Los Angeles this Sunday for a three month stay in Europe.
    > I will be in London. Are there any good rides. i am a cat 1, but doing
    > winter PACE!

    I can't help directly - not being a roadie.
    Depends really which side of London you are going to live in!

    Some sites which might be of use to you:
    London Cycle Sport
    http://www.londoncyclesport.com/
    Herne Hill:
    http://www.hernehillvelodrome.co.uk/
    Eastway cycle circuit:
    http://www.londoncyclesport.com/eastway_book/
    London Cycling Campaign:
    http://www.lcc.org.uk

  3. crees22

    crees22 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2003
    I wouldnt cycle around London even if I was offered a large sum of money (ok so i would, but thats not the point) Way to busy, much to much traffic, pedestrians that walk out in front of you on suicide missions and too many bloody sets of traffic lights. You will have to venture outside of London to find some nicer places to ride, just check out a map of the south east when your over here and find some nice country roads to cycle on, there are plenty its just knowing where to look and whether your willing to travel to find them. I live about 60km east of London around the Southend on Sea area on the Thames Estuary, traffic at times can still be heavy but not in the same league as London and theres plenty of country roads for my cycling.

    Sorry if my post isnt exactly constructive, I just dont like the idea of cycling around the city :)

  4. shayla7027 wrote:
    > Hi -
    >
    > i am leaving Los Angeles this Sunday for a three month stay in Europe.
    > I will be in London. Are there any good rides. i am a cat 1, but doing
    > winter PACE!
    >
    > thanks, Shayla:cool:

    Maybe a bit slow for you, even at winter PACE, but you could also
    checkout the rides at:
    http://www.centrallondonctc.org.uk

    The rides generally start with a train journey from a central London
    station to somewhere a bit pleasanter to ride. The rides marked '***'
    are the fastest.

    If you inline skate then the Friday Night Skate goes all through the
    winter, when its dry enough, and is a really fun workout:
    http://www.thefns.com

    Roger

  5. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 12/10/04 9:13 am, in article
    [email protected], "Roger Fretwell"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > shayla7027 wrote:
    >> Hi -
    >>
    >> i am leaving Los Angeles this Sunday for a three month stay in Europe.
    >> I will be in London. Are there any good rides. i am a cat 1, but doing
    >> winter PACE!
    >>
    >> thanks, Shayla:cool:
    >>

    > Maybe a bit slow for you, even at winter PACE, but you could also
    > checkout the rides at:
    > http://www.centrallondonctc.org.uk
    >
    > The rides generally start with a train journey from a central London
    > station to somewhere a bit pleasanter to ride. The rides marked '***'
    > are the fastest.
    >
    > If you inline skate then the Friday Night Skate goes all through the
    > winter, when its dry enough, and is a really fun workout:
    > http://www.thefns.com

    There may be racing at Eastway or Hillingdon. There is also the chance to be
    booked for speeding in Richmond Park (about a 7 mile circuit in a royal
    park. Quite lumpy and reasonably pleasant compared to most of London).
    The best thing is to hook up with a local club (eg Kingston Wheelers or
    similar) and join their club runs at the weekend.

    ...d

  6. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    shayla7027 <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Hi -

    : i am leaving Los Angeles this Sunday for a three month stay in Europe.
    : I will be in London. Are there any good rides. i am a cat 1, but doing
    : winter PACE!

    Eastway and Hillingdon cycle circuits have races and training sessions
    throughout the winter.

    The only place to train in central London apart from on your turbo is
    apparently Richmond Park.

    Arthur

    "Blogs are neither necessary nor sufficient for evil to triumph.
    They're just what we call an enabling technology" - Danny O'Brien

  7. shayla7027 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi -
    >
    > i am leaving Los Angeles this Sunday for a three month stay in Europe.
    > I will be in London. Are there any good rides. i am a cat 1, but doing
    > winter PACE!
    >
    > thanks, Shayla:cool:

    Shayla,

    If you can give us an idea of where you are staying in London that
    would help. Generally people tend to ride to the start of a group
    ride, so stick to areas near where they live.

    In addition to Scum... 's posting, you may want to check out
    www.cyclingplus.co.uk - there's a bulletin board, again, people will
    want to know where you will be living.
    www.veloriders.co.uk - a bulletin board
    www.cyclingweekly.co.uk - UKs leading roadie mag with a list of runs
    etc somewhere on the site.

    HTH
    Steve

  8. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<ckg8lg[email protected]>...

    > The only place to train in central London apart from on your turbo is
    > apparently Richmond Park.

    You will of course be on the wrong side of the law if you train in the
    Park as the speed limit is now 20 mph, and the road is hilly. It's not
    too hard to get above 40. As it's a Royal Park the limit does apply to
    bicycles.

    --
    Dave...

  9. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    shayla7027 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi -
    >
    > i am leaving Los Angeles this Sunday for a three month stay in Europe.
    > I will be in London. Are there any good rides. i am a cat 1, but doing
    > winter PACE!

    Whereabouts in London? Most clubs have runs on Sunday that you would
    probably be welcome to hook up with. The Sigma Sport cycle shop in
    Kingston (S.W. London) also have an open ride starting at 9:30 every
    Sunday.

    --
    Dave...

  10. Arthur Clune wrote:

    > shayla7027 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > : Hi -
    >
    > : i am leaving Los Angeles this Sunday for a three month stay in Europe.
    > : I will be in London. Are there any good rides. i am a cat 1, but doing
    > : winter PACE!
    >
    > Eastway and Hillingdon cycle circuits have races and training sessions
    > throughout the winter.
    >
    > The only place to train in central London apart from on your turbo is
    > apparently Richmond Park.
    >
    > Arthur

    Don't they have a pathetic speed limit?

  11. andymac

    andymac Guest

    have a look at the grand union canal, it goes from central London Islington
    out through Paddington to the west. if your energetic you can keep going
    onto Birmingham. you will need a permit but all you have to do is go to the
    British waterways web site to get one, it don't cost anything either.
    http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/waterways/waterways_code/for_cyclists.html
    Andy

    "shayla7027" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > Hi -
    >
    > i am leaving Los Angeles this Sunday for a three month stay in Europe.
    > I will be in London. Are there any good rides. i am a cat 1, but doing
    > winter PACE!
    >
    > thanks, Shayla:cool:
    >

    > --
    > shayla7027

  12. Marc Brett

    Marc Brett Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi -
    >
    >i am leaving Los Angeles this Sunday for a three month stay in Europe.
    >I will be in London. Are there any good rides. i am a cat 1, but doing
    >winter PACE!

    Critical Mass?

    http://www.enrager.net/hosted/cmlondon/

  13. davep

    davep Guest

    shayla7027 wrote:

    > Hi -
    >
    > i am leaving Los Angeles this Sunday for a three month stay in Europe.
    > I will be in London. Are there any good rides. i am a cat 1, but doing
    > winter PACE!
    >
    > thanks, Shayla:cool:

    The Pearson Cycle team will soon be doing their
    winter rides on a Sunday
    at 0900 from Cheam village, about 14miles south of London.
    Cat 1's - 4's, normally about 60-70miles.
    Call the shop on the Saturday to check beforehand
    020 8642 2095

  14. James Shugg

    James Shugg Guest

    crees22 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > shayla7027 Wrote:
    > > Hi -
    > >
    > > i am leaving Los Angeles this Sunday for a three month stay in Europe.
    > > I will be in London. Are there any good rides. i am a cat 1, but doing
    > > winter PACE!
    > >
    > > thanks, Shayla:cool:

    > I wouldnt cycle around London even if I was offered a large sum of
    > money (ok so i would, but thats not the point) Way to busy, much to
    > much traffic, pedestrians that walk out in front of you on suicide
    > missions and too many bloody sets of traffic lights. You will have to
    > venture outside of London to find some nicer places to ride, just check
    > out a map of the south east when your over here and find some nice
    > country roads to cycle on, there are plenty its just knowing where to
    > look and whether your willing to travel to find them. I live about 60km
    > east of London around the Southend on Sea area on the Thames Estuary,
    > traffic at times can still be heavy but not in the same league as
    > London and theres plenty of country roads for my cycling.
    >
    > Sorry if my post isnt exactly constructive, I just dont like the idea
    > of cycling around the city :)

    As a contrast, I live in central London, and thoroughly enjoy riding
    in the city. London is busy, so there's plenty of action to keep you
    alert, but importantly, the traffic is generally very slow, much
    slower than in rural areas, making each vehicle less likely to cause
    you harm and also giving you the satisfaction of getting around
    quicker than everyone else. Those mobile obstacle courses that
    pedestrians so kindly provide are fun too. Regular traffic lights
    provide handy rest opportunities to catch your breath before the next
    sprint (although sometimes I can get the 3 km from Drury Lane to Bank
    without meeting a red light). What makes London particularly nice to
    ride is that it is quite flat and traffic is generally quite cycle
    aware (if not cycle friendly).

    Others will have different views :)

    James

  15. LA woman

    LA woman New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2004

  16. LA woman

    LA woman New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2004

    hi steve,

    i am now in london and would love to go for a ride. i am staying in docklands,E14, area.

    thanks,
    Shayla

  17. MSA

    MSA Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > stephen pridgeon Wrote:
    > > shayla7027 <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Hi -
    > > >
    > > > i am leaving Los Angeles this Sunday for a three month stay in

    > > Europe.
    > > > I will be in London. Are there any good rides. i am a cat 1, but

    > > doing
    > > > winter PACE!
    > > >
    > > > thanks, Shayla:cool:

    > > Shayla,
    > >
    > > If you can give us an idea of where you are staying in London that
    > > would help. Generally people tend to ride to the start of a group
    > > ride, so stick to areas near where they live.
    > >
    > > In addition to Scum... 's posting, you may want to check out
    > > www.cyclingplus.co.uk - there's a bulletin board, again, people will
    > > want to know where you will be living.
    > > www.veloriders.co.uk - a bulletin board
    > > www.cyclingweekly.co.uk - UKs leading roadie mag with a list of runs
    > > etc somewhere on the site.
    > >
    > > HTH
    > > Steve

    > hi steve,
    >
    > i am now in london and would love to go for a ride. i am staying in
    > docklands,E14, area.
    >
    > thanks,
    > Shayla
    >

    > --
    > LA woman

    Just caught the tail end of this messsage. A group of us live around
    the East London area and meet for a ride in Woodford EVERY Sunday
    morning at 9am...at the Castle public house. Cats 2,3,4 (7,8,9's!).
    Season over so don't expect anything too manic :) Approx 100-130k
    taking in a tea/toast stop. Nice routes around the Essex countryside.
    Adhoc evening and Saturdays too.

    Reply here if interested and I will give more details.
    --
    Mark (MSA)
    Remember, half the people you know are below average

  18. LA woman

    LA woman New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2004
    Hi Mark,

    I am not that familar with the area. you have to give me an address so I can look it up. I know where Canary Wharf is, but that is about it.
    will you ride tomorrow if it rains?

    let me know, I will assemble my bike tonight.
    thanks,
    Shayla

  19. MSA wrote:

    > Just caught the tail end of this messsage. A group of us live around
    > the East London area and meet for a ride in Woodford EVERY Sunday
    > morning at 9am...at the Castle public house. Cats 2,3,4 (7,8,9's!).
    > Season over so don't expect anything too manic :) Approx 100-130k
    > taking in a tea/toast stop. Nice routes around the Essex countryside.
    > Adhoc evening and Saturdays too.
    >
    > Reply here if interested and I will give more details.

    Ooh, that's near me, that is. How fast do you go and will you all point and
    laugh at me if I turn up on three-wheels-inna-Dark-Side-stylee?

    World Domination?
    Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
    floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

  20. "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > MSA wrote:
    >
    >> Just caught the tail end of this messsage. A group of us live around
    >> the East London area and meet for a ride in Woodford EVERY Sunday
    >> morning at 9am...at the Castle public house. Cats 2,3,4 (7,8,9's!).
    >> Season over so don't expect anything too manic :) Approx 100-130k
    >> taking in a tea/toast stop. Nice routes around the Essex countryside.
    >> Adhoc evening and Saturdays too.
    >>
    >> Reply here if interested and I will give more details.

    > Ooh, that's near me, that is. How fast do you go and will you all point
    > and
    > laugh at me if I turn up on three-wheels-inna-Dark-Side-stylee?

    Hmm.. I might be interested in joining in with that too, since it's not so
    far from me and I'll have to get around to putting in some extra miles, in
    preparation for l'etape, at some point - preferably hilly ones :( !

    Rich