Ride Melbourne's CityLink Tunnel with Critical Mass!

panasonic wrote:

> Thats inspirational - perhaps what you motorists need to do is to take your vendetta out on
> airport runways and truck terminals. cant you see the pattern here?
>
> cyclists dont like walkers getting in their way cars dont like cyclists getting in their way
> trucks and aircraft dont like cars getting in their way

Motorcyclists don't like anyone.

--
Look beyond the window, don't just focus on your own reflection. [email protected] for all spam.

Originally posted by David Sutton
Melbourne's cyclists and skaters are gearing up to reclaim CityLink's Burnley Tunnel for an evening
of pollution-free traffic

On Friday June 27, Critical Mass will celebrate its own special brand of "pedal power" by making a
trip through CityLink's Burnley Tunnel. This will be CM's seventh visit to the private tollway, and
everyone is invited to join us!

5.30pm Friday, June 27 Meet at the State Library, cnr Swanston Walk & LaTrobe St All cyclists &
skaters welcome - Bring your friends! Cost: FREE!

www.critical-mass.org

So like, did anyone go?
PS I have no TV, radio or read the newspaper.

damn didn't know there was a jaycar in ringwood but for $39.95 for the same battery l can get a
radio parts for $21 but l will keep it in mind thanks

"panasonic" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> cyclists dont like walkers getting in their way

you're not supposed to be on the footpath

> cars dont like cyclists getting in their way

perhaps if they followed the road rules... ? is the incidence of red-colour-blindness esepcially
prevalent among cyclists? is there some obscure piece of legislation that requires pedestrians to
give way to cyclists on pedestrian crossings?

KK

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:05:37 +0930, "Kasper Kowalski" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> cyclists dont like walkers getting in their way
>
>you're not supposed to be on the footpath

There are plenty of situations where cyclists and pedestrians can legally mix, shared paths,
underage cyclists, adults escorting underage cyclists..

>> cars dont like cyclists getting in their way
>
>perhaps if they followed the road rules... ? is the incidence of red-colour-blindness esepcially
>prevalent among cyclists? is there some obscure piece of legislation that requires pedestrians to
>give way to cyclists on pedestrian crossings?

OK, so where should cyclists be if not on the road or on the paths?

PC

"PC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> >> cars dont like cyclists getting in their way
> >
> >perhaps if they followed the road rules... ? is the incidence of red-colour-blindness esepcially
> >prevalent among cyclists? is there some obscure piece of legislation that requires pedestrians to
> >give way to cyclists on pedestrian crossings?
>
> OK, so where should cyclists be if not on the road or on the paths?

At home, brushing up on their road rules.

KK

"PC" <[email protected]> wrote in message [email protected]
> On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:05:37 +0930, "Kasper Kowalski" <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]

>>perhaps if they followed the road rules... ? is the incidence of red-colour-blindness esepcially
>>prevalent among cyclists? is there some obscure piece of legislation that requires pedestrians to
>>give way to cyclists on pedestrian crossings?
>
> OK, so where should cyclists be if not on the road or on the paths?

That's not what he's talking about. He's talking about cyclists' almost complete indifference to the
road rules, including red lights. They seem to think the rules don't apply to them.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 12:49:24 +1000, "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> OK, so where should cyclists be if not on the road or on the paths?
>
>That's not what he's talking about. He's talking about cyclists' almost complete indifference to
>the road rules, including red lights. They seem to think the rules don't apply to them.

What an utterly mindless post.. I ride a pushbike, and I obey the road rules.. What's your problem
with "cyclists'"?

Meanwhile, I see car drivers every minute on the road not indicating, ignoring lane markings,
ignoring bike lanes and driving down them, speeding, running orange lights and the occasional red
light, stopping on tram tracks, failing to give way to trams or tram passengers, failing to give way
to buses pulling out of bus stops, improper use of their safety devices (horns), all of which are
illegal, and are probably cumulatively more prevalent than the usual offences you see committed by
cyclists.. Of course, they're committed in cars, so other car drivers are blind to them, whereas
they're certainly not blind to offences committed by vehicles other than cars..

How many car drivers here can say they have never illegally used their horn as a stress
relief device, or failed to give way to a bus pulling out of a bus stop, both of which are
fineable offences?

PC

"PC" <[email protected]> wrote in message [email protected]
> On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 12:49:24 +1000, "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> OK, so where should cyclists be if not on the road or on the paths?
>>
>>That's not what he's talking about. He's talking about cyclists' almost complete indifference to
>>the road rules, including red lights. They seem to think the rules don't apply to them.
>
> What an utterly mindless post.. I ride a pushbike, and I obey the road rules.. What's your problem
> with "cyclists'"?

No, it's not mindless. It's both an accurate statement of what Kowalski was talking about and, as it
happens, a statement of what I've seen for myself over many years of being on the roads.

> Meanwhile, I see car drivers every minute on the road not indicating, ignoring lane markings,
> ignoring bike lanes and driving down them, speeding, running orange lights and the occasional red
> light, stopping on tram tracks, failing to give way to trams or tram passengers, failing to give
> way to buses pulling out of bus stops, improper use of their safety devices (horns), all of which
> are illegal, and are probably cumulatively more prevalent than the usual offences you see
> committed by cyclists.. Of course, they're committed in cars, so other car drivers are blind to
> them, whereas they're certainly not blind to offences committed by vehicles other than cars..
>
> How many car drivers here can say they have never illegally used their horn as a stress relief
> device, or failed to give way to a bus pulling out of a bus stop, both of which are fineable
> offences?

All of which has absolutely nothing to do with the point, which is the widespread failure of
cyclists to obey the road rules.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

"PC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> How many car drivers here can say they have never illegally used their horn as a stress relief
> device, or failed to give way to a bus pulling out of a bus stop, both of which are fineable
> offences?

How many cyclists have completely disregarded red lights? How many have failed to stop for
pedestrians on crossings? How many cyclists fail to signal an intention to turn?

If the roads are there for all, so are the road rules.

KK

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 13:10:07 +0930, "Kasper Kowalski" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> How many car drivers here can say they have never illegally used their horn as a stress relief
>> device, or failed to give way to a bus pulling out of a bus stop, both of which are fineable
>> offences?
>
>How many cyclists have completely disregarded red lights? How many have failed to stop for
>pedestrians on crossings? How many cyclists fail to signal an intention to turn?
>
>If the roads are there for all, so are the road rules.

Well, why don't car drivers start 100% compliance first, then you may collectively have a right to
whinge about cyclists non-compliance..

Oh, wait, the Government is so sure that car drivers can't obey the road rules that it is banking on
the revenue to run the state.. I guess car drivers are an awful long way off 100% compliance..

PC

In article <BB2374FE.596B%[email protected]>, ghostwombat wrote:
> And have you ever kayaked on the Yarra River in the shade of the freeway, and heard how it sounds
> like you're kayaking down the median strip of Nepean Highway? Or tried to access the Yarra Banks
> from the Richmond side? (What

Just try having a barbeque on the banks adjacent to the freeway. Thought you were up for something
peaceful and tranquil? I think not!

--
Jeremy Lunn Melbourne, Australia Homepage: http://www.austux.net/ http://www.jabber.org.au/ - the
next generation of Instant Messaging.

In article <[email protected]>, stu wrote:
>>Malvern East, Glen Iris, Southbank near Sturt St, Fishermans Bend, Newport... I could go on & on
>>about suburbs which are chopped in half.
> most of there roads were on the planing board for years railway lines do just as good a job of
> cutting suburbs in half

Try standing 500m from a busy railway and 500m from a busy freeway and telling me which is worse. I
think you'll find the railway line is barely noticable while the freeway will give off a horrible
roar. Also notice how much easier it is to cross a double track railway line as opposed to a six
lane freeway.

--

In article <[email protected]>, Trevor S wrote:
> err the obvious answer to this one is to move to a rural or semi rural area...

No thanks. There's no reason why linear parks should be destoryed by freeways.

> I do have to agree with a lot of what Stu is saying even though I have an intense dislike for the
> dominace of the car, PT in it's current incarceration will never be the answer. Problem is I have
> no answers

Perhaps not, though once it's upgraded to a reasonable state then it'll be the answer. The answer
will always be to upgrade PT and not to upgrade roads.

--
Jeremy Lunn Melbourne, Australia Homepage: http://www.austux.net/ http://www.jabber.org.au/ - the
next generation of Instant Messaging.

"PC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> >How many cyclists have completely disregarded red lights? How many have failed to stop for
> >pedestrians on crossings? How many cyclists fail to signal an intention to turn?
> >
> >If the roads are there for all, so are the road rules.
>
> Well, why don't car drivers start 100% compliance first, then you may collectively have a right to
> whinge about cyclists non-compliance..

those of us that do comply have the right to complain about *anyone* that doesn't... car drivers and
cyclists alike.

FFS, running red lights, failing to give way to pedestrians are serious offences. I see these things
done every day by many cyclists as a matter of course. i don't often see drivers do them.....

> Oh, wait, the Government is so sure that car drivers can't obey the road rules that it is banking
> on the revenue to run the state.. I guess car drivers are an awful long way off 100% compliance..

and what do you suppose contributes primarily to this revenue? parking and speeding fines? technical
breaches for the most part, little relevance to danger of the offence.

KK

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 13:23:24 +0930, "Kasper Kowalski" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Well, why don't car drivers start 100% compliance first, then you may collectively have a right
>> to whinge about cyclists non-compliance..
>
>those of us that do comply have the right to complain about *anyone* that doesn't... car drivers
>and cyclists alike.

So you've never exceeded the speed limit or used your horn without a valid safety concern?

>FFS, running red lights, failing to give way to pedestrians are serious offences. I see these
>things done every day by many cyclists as a matter of course. i don't often see drivers do
>them.....

I saw a small rigid truck get flashed at a red light camera at Maribyrnong Road crossing Mount
Alexander Road just two days ago.. I see cars accelerate for the orange regularly.. I see cars fail
to stop at the red pedestrian signal coming out of moonee ponds interchange southbound onto Mount
Alexander Road once every week or two, less so now than when I used the tram through there daily..

Really, car drivers in general are just as bad as cyclists in general, but car drivers have way more
potential to do serious harm than cyclists do, are less manouverable, more isolated from localised
conditions, and two tonnes of steel hurts a LOT more than 50-180kg of cyclist and bicycle..

>> Oh, wait, the Government is so sure that car drivers can't obey the road rules that it is banking
>> on the revenue to run the state.. I guess car drivers are an awful long way off 100% compliance..
>
>and what do you suppose contributes primarily to this revenue? parking and speeding fines?
>technical breaches for the most part, little relevance to danger of the offence.

Perhaps..

Revenue from parking offences tends to go to councils though, and is used to keep their little
council area amenable.. One person hogging a parking space for more than their fair share of time
doesn't help urban amenity..

Speeding is a problem, though I do feel that 3-10km/h should be a points only offence, so if you get
flashed, you lose say two points but don't get fined, or get a $20 processing charge or similar..
That said, the speed limits should be lower than they are in urban areas, 50 on arterials in
pedestrianised parts of town (read the inner suburbs), 40 on local streets in similar areas, though
I wouldn't support those lower limits if the fines kicked in as early as they do today..

Meanwhile, car drivers do need to learn that the speed limit does not mean that you have to drive at
that speed.. 5-10km/h below should be acceptable and should not cause people behind you to honk,
drive agressively, tailgate or overtake across unbroken lines.. Most of the time, you catch up to
people like that at the next red light anyway, but it still happens..

PC

"PC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> >those of us that do comply have the right to complain about *anyone* that doesn't... car drivers
> >and cyclists alike.
>
> So you've never exceeded the speed limit or used your horn without a valid safety concern?

I suspect I exceed the speed limit on many occasions... but, I look at the road/traffic, not my
speedo. Speed limits are largely irrelevant as they dont take into account the many factors that
govern a safe speed given a set of conditions.

> Really, car drivers in general are just as bad as cyclists in general, but car drivers have way
> more potential to do serious harm than cyclists do, are less manouverable, more isolated from
> localised conditions, and two tonnes of steel hurts a LOT more than 50-180kg of cyclist and
> bicycle..

That makes no difference... if anything, a driver should be given more leeway WRT running red lights
as they are in a far better position to clear the intersection safely. A cyclists lack of size is
the only reason they can ride thru a crossing while pedestrians are on it. But, I suggest you read
some medical textbooks, a cyclist at speed could potentially kill someone also if they knocked a
person down - head injuries are remarkably easy to sustain, and their severity can be out of
proportion with the size of impact.

Having nearly been knocked down by a cyclist on a crossing (who thought I should give way to him,
based upon the abuse yelled at me as he rode right in front of me), I will forcibly knock a cyclist
down that does this in front of me again.

Adelaide is a relatively bike-friendly city, lots of bike-lanes etc. That still doesnt stop many of
them ignoring road rules, and riding in a downright dangerous manner. I'd probably have killed a
handful of cyclists this year alone if not for the fact that I was expecting them to do some pretty
stupid things. One has to wonder, given the complete lack of protection afforded by a bike, why
don't they practise self-preservation a bit more often?

> Speeding is a problem, though I do feel that 3-10km/h should be a points only offence, so if you
> get flashed, you lose say two points but don't get fined, or get a $20 processing charge or
> similar.. That said, the speed limits should be lower than they are in urban areas, 50 on
> arterials in pedestrianised parts of town (read the inner suburbs), 40 on local streets in
> similar areas, though I wouldn't support those lower limits if the fines kicked in as early as
> they do today..

Speeding is a far smaller problem than you think.... grossly over-emphasised, for little more than
justifying the dependence on the revenue it generates.

> Meanwhile, car drivers do need to learn that the speed limit does not mean that you have to drive
> at that speed.. 5-10km/h below should be acceptable and should not cause people behind you to
> honk, drive agressively, tailgate or overtake across unbroken lines.. Most of the time, you catch
> up to people like that at the next red light anyway, but it still happens..

Should be acceptable by whom? Most people are doing 5-10kmh over the limit. They are driving at a
speed they feel comfortable with, a speed they feel is suitable for the conditions. Why is 5-10
below any more acceptable, given there is no proof going slower has any effect on road safety?

KK

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 14:34:31 +0930, "Kasper Kowalski" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Having nearly been knocked down by a cyclist on a crossing (who thought I should give way to him,
>based upon the abuse yelled at me as he rode right in front of me), I will forcibly knock a cyclist
>down that does this in front of me again.

He'll still be gone before you can make the conscious decision to actually do it next time
it happens..

>Adelaide is a relatively bike-friendly city, lots of bike-lanes etc. That still doesnt stop many of
>them ignoring road rules, and riding in a downright dangerous manner. I'd probably have killed a
>handful of cyclists this year alone if not for the fact that I was expecting them to do some pretty
>stupid things. One has to wonder, given the complete lack of protection afforded by a bike, why
>don't they practise self-preservation a bit more often?

*shrug*

I actually wonder if it's safer to be a little silly in an effort to be visible, on the assumption
that other road users are more likely to see you if you're in front of them and are being visible..

>Speeding is a far smaller problem than you think.... grossly over-emphasised, for little more than
>justifying the dependence on the revenue it generates.

Perhaps, and I used to think exactly that way too.. Then I realised that while it may be perfectly
safe for me as a motorcyclist to drive around at 76 in a 60 zone (which I got fined for a few years
back), it sure isn't safe for those ahead of me who expect me to approach slower.. Pedestrians,
those pulling out of parking spaces or turning out of side streets etc..

And then what if you need to stop suddenly - your reaction time is the same but the extra speed
means you travel further and a slight prang can become much worse..

>Should be acceptable by whom? Most people are doing 5-10kmh over the limit. They are driving at a
>speed they feel comfortable with, a speed they feel is suitable for the conditions. Why is 5-10
>below any more acceptable, given there is no proof going slower has any effect on road safety?

Yeah, same deal, but isn't that a rather selfish attitude?

PC

"PC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> >Having nearly been knocked down by a cyclist on a crossing (who thought I should give way to him,
> >based upon the abuse yelled at me as he rode
right
> >in front of me), I will forcibly knock a cyclist down that does this in front of me again.
>
> He'll still be gone before you can make the conscious decision to actually do it next time it
> happens..

No, it's pretty obvious when a cyclist doesn't intend to stop... and they're not nearly as
maneuvrable as you think.

> I actually wonder if it's safer to be a little silly in an effort to be visible, on the assumption
> that other road users are more likely to see you if you're in front of them and are being
> visible..

Do you consider bike couriers riding *against* traffic flow, weaving around cars, an effort to be
visible, or an effort to be dead?

> Perhaps, and I used to think exactly that way too.. Then I realised that while it may be perfectly
> safe for me as a motorcyclist to drive around at 76 in a 60 zone (which I got fined for a few
> years back), it sure isn't safe for those ahead of me who expect me to approach slower..
> Pedestrians, those pulling out of parking spaces or turning out of side streets etc..

Looking rather than glancing tends to fix that ... I've never come close to being hit whether as
a pedestrian or as a driver. Perhasp they should reconsider giving licenses to those that can't
just speed?

> And then what if you need to stop suddenly - your reaction time is the same but the extra speed
> means you travel further and a slight prang can become much worse..

I've never hit anyone. I drive in a manner that allows me stop in time, regardless of limit. Part of
that involves looking around you and reading the traffic for potential bingles.

> >Should be acceptable by whom? Most people are doing 5-10kmh over the
limit.
> >They are driving at a speed they feel comfortable with, a speed they feel
is
> >suitable for the conditions. Why is 5-10 below any more acceptable, given there is no proof going
> >slower has any effect on road safety?
>
> Yeah, same deal, but isn't that a rather selfish attitude?

It's not slefish when that is the way the majority behave... efforst to try and get people to slow
to below a speed they feel comfortable with does more harm than good.

KK

<snip>
> ride thru a crossing while pedestrians are on it. But, I suggest you read some medical textbooks,
> a cyclist at speed could potentially kill someone also if they knocked a person down - head
> injuries are remarkably easy to sustain, and their severity can be out of proportion with the size
> of impact.

How many people die each year from this sort of accident? Potentially a tree could kill someone if
it landed on them. In practice, the risk is very, very small, as is the chance of being killed by
a cyclist.
---
DFM