Ride of Silence 2008

Plodder wrote:
> "Adrian Tritschler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> <SNIPPED LOTS OF STUFF>
>> Have had this happen quite a few times, ride up behind pedestrians and
>> call out (loudly) *BIKE!* or "KEEP LEFT PLEASE". Due to pervesity, bad
>> cases of get stuffed, or general perveseness they ignore you, or leap
>> left, or leap right, then scream abuse telling you to get a bell.
>> Obvious that they have heard, equally obvious that they don't give a
>> damn or just want to be angry. AFAICT the various road laws state "An
>> audible warning device such as a bell". My voice can be louder, more
>> expressive and more controllable than any tink-tink bell and I'll be
>> willing to argue that with any magistrate.

> <SNIPPED MORE>
>> Adrian

> A bell can be more effective than a voice. In a park, or other public space
> (where shared paths often go through), people's natural filters will often
> filter out voices (there are many of them around). They will be more alert
> to a bell, which is not a part of the continuous background noise of voices.

<snipped even more>

And here's the proof of the power of the bell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtv2_-2mHck
(in Japanese- no translation, sorry)

Even in a supermarket!

--
Pete.B

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 30 May 2008 22:24:59 +1000
Aeek <[email protected]> wrote:

> Its a big problem, with oversized bars as standard and funky frames
> and seatposts its hard to find a bell that will fit anywhere on a
> serious adult bike.

Luckily I have a funny adult bike and so no problem.

Zebee

Skewer wrote:
> Plodder wrote:
>> "Adrian Tritschler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> <SNIPPED LOTS OF STUFF>
>>> Have had this happen quite a few times, ride up behind pedestrians and
>>> call out (loudly) *BIKE!* or "KEEP LEFT PLEASE". Due to pervesity, bad
>>> cases of get stuffed, or general perveseness they ignore you, or leap
>>> left, or leap right, then scream abuse telling you to get a bell.
>>> Obvious that they have heard, equally obvious that they don't give a
>>> damn or just want to be angry. AFAICT the various road laws state "An
>>> audible warning device such as a bell". My voice can be louder, more
>>> expressive and more controllable than any tink-tink bell and I'll be
>>> willing to argue that with any magistrate.

>> <SNIPPED MORE>
>>> Adrian

>> A bell can be more effective than a voice. In a park, or other public
>> space (where shared paths often go through), people's natural filters
>> will often filter out voices (there are many of them around). They
>> will be more alert to a bell, which is not a part of the continuous
>> background noise of voices.
>>

> <snipped even more>
>
> And here's the proof of the power of the bell
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtv2_-2mHck
> (in Japanese- no translation, sorry)
>
> Even in a supermarket!
>
> --
> Pete.B

Love the bit on the escalator. What were they thinking was coming up
behind?

Moike

On Thu, 29 May 2008 10:23:02 GMT, Adrian Tritschler
<[email protected]> wrote in aus.bicycle:

>Have had this happen quite a few times, ride up behind pedestrians and
>call out (loudly) *BIKE!* or "KEEP LEFT PLEASE". Due to pervesity, bad
>cases of get stuffed, or general perveseness they ignore you, or leap
>left, or leap right, then scream abuse telling you to get a bell.
>Obvious that they have heard, equally obvious that they don't give a
>damn or just want to be angry. AFAICT the various road laws state "An
>audible warning device such as a bell". My voice can be louder, more
>expressive and more controllable than any tink-tink bell and I'll be
>willing to argue that with any magistrate.

The advantage of a bell over any other method of warning is that
people still associate them with a bike. I tried a horn with a rubber
bulb that I bought 40years ago but all that did was frighten the ****
out of people which was not the desired result.

I would throw one of those tink tink bells away and replace it with
the 'old fashioned' one with the rotary clapper they only cost a
couple of dollars and are well worth the money if you use cycle paths
a lot.

Regards
Dinsy

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius

On Sat, 31 May 2008 00:36:46 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> Luckily I have a funny adult bike and so no problem.

Other than a lack of elbow patches, a beard, and the respect of your peers!

--
Dave Hughes - [email protected]
"Verbogeny is one of the pleasurettes of a creatific thinkerizer."

On Sat, 31 May 2008 20:07:41 +1000, Dave Hughes
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 31 May 2008 00:36:46 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>
>> Luckily I have a funny adult bike and so no problem.

>Other than a lack of elbow patches, a beard, and the respect of your peers!

A beard is surely optional unless a mirkin is worn.

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 31 May 2008 20:07:41 +1000
Dave Hughes <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 31 May 2008 00:36:46 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>
>> Luckily I have a funny adult bike and so no problem.

> Other than a lack of elbow patches, a beard, and the respect of your peers!

Damn. I'm never going to get away with the beard thing am I.

Zebee

Aeek wrote:
> On Sat, 31 May 2008 20:07:41 +1000, Dave Hughes
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 31 May 2008 00:36:46 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>>
>>> Luckily I have a funny adult bike and so no problem.

>> Other than a lack of elbow patches, a beard, and the respect of your peers!

> A beard is surely optional unless a mirkin is worn.

Errr.... ewwwwww.

G-S

Simon wrote:
> After last Friday's hit and run on the Vikings bunch, we're inspired
> to get a RoS going in Canberra at late notice. Meeting tomorrow
> (Wednesday the 7th May) 1pm at the Purple Pickle cafe in the ANU for
> anyone interested in helping out.

Bugger - wish I'd been reading on the 6th; I'd have been there.

--
//Adam F

On May 7, 10:53 am, TimC <[email protected]
astro.swin.edu.au> wrote:
> On 2008-05-06, Simon (aka Bruce)
>
> > On May 6, 11:51 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.38z...@no-
> > mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> >> Any police action or follow up on what actually happened?

> > The cops took it seriously at the time, sending out the crash
> > investigation people. I'm trying to chase up with them but having
> > trouble getting on to the relevant people...

> Please post back with status when it happens...
>
> Were you in the bunch?
>
> --
> TimC
> Using top down development, you never have any working code. Using bottom
> up development, you never solve the problem. -- John Kelly in debian-user

Latest on the ACT "accident": Looks like a typical effort when
cyclists are involved. His word against ours, no physical evidence
that was convincing enough apparently, so this guy who goes around
ramming fellow citizens with his car when they're in the cycle lane
then hooning off without bothering to check if the unconscious victim
is still alive, has received a WARNING for leaving the scence of an
accident. Seems you can do what you want in this country, so long as
you're behind the wheel of a car. I'm not happy. Any suggestions?

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 4 Jun 2008 19:22:53 -0700 (PDT)
Simon <[email protected]> wrote:

> Latest on the ACT "accident": Looks like a typical effort when
> cyclists are involved. His word against ours, no physical evidence
> that was convincing enough apparently, so this guy who goes around
> ramming fellow citizens with his car when they're in the cycle lane
> then hooning off without bothering to check if the unconscious victim
> is still alive, has received a WARNING for leaving the scence of an
> accident. Seems you can do what you want in this country, so long as
> you're behind the wheel of a car. I'm not happy. Any suggestions?

So what do you do if a cyclist *does* wobble or swerve into a car's
path?

Can a cyclist do wrong?

Should the law be changed so that cyclists are never at fault, what
effect with this have?

Zebee

On Jun 5, 1:01 pm, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:

> Can a cyclist do wrong?

Yes, and unfortunately I get in trouble for saying it here all the
time. In fact I'm the guy who says cyclists need to make the first
step and clean up their act. Is your point beyond reasonable doubt?
Sure, but it doesn't change the fact that when justice is not served,
or when it's just not followed up, one can be justified in getting
angry. In this case the cyclists weren't doing anything wrong and the
evidence points to a collision in the bike lane.

Here's the background:
The left front corner of the car struck the back wheel of one bike and
the front of the one following. If the car was travelling in the lane,
parallel to the gutter, then the first guy would have had to have been
half way across the road and the other guy following his wheel. This
second rider had his forks snapped straight off and went directly onto
his head and face - barely any other bruises or scares. So the cyclist
went over the handlebars.

Two possible scenarios. 1) He had swerved into the car lane at about a
45degree angle to the road, following the wheel of the fellow in
front. 2) Or he was riding in the bike lane, parallel to the gutter.
His unconscious body ended up right next to the gutter. The week
after, the AFP investigation team went on a two week course. So the
key witnesses were not interviewed till over two weeks later.

"Should the law be changed so that cyclists are never at fault, what
effect with this have?"
My understanding is that in several European countries the onus is on
the driver of the motor vehicle to prove they weren't at fault. So
perhaps it's not all that far fetched.

Simon said:
Latest on the ACT "accident": Looks like a typical effort when
cyclists are involved. His word against ours, no physical evidence
that was convincing enough apparently, so this guy who goes around
ramming fellow citizens with his car when they're in the cycle lane
then hooning off without bothering to check if the unconscious victim
is still alive, has received a WARNING for leaving the scence of an
accident. Seems you can do what you want in this country, so long as
you're behind the wheel of a car. I'm not happy. Any suggestions?

Has anyone contacted other groups, such as Pedal Power ACT or even a cycle-friendly local lawyer for advice? If the police seem unwilling to pursue further action, there's the option of a civil case.

On Jun 5, 1:25 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.3ai...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Simon Wrote:
>

> > Latest on the ACT "accident": Looks like a typical effort when
> > cyclists are involved. His word against ours, no physical evidence
> > that was convincing enough apparently, so this guy who goes around
> > ramming fellow citizens with his car when they're in the cycle lane
> > then hooning off without bothering to check if the unconscious victim
> > is still alive, has received a WARNING for leaving the scence of an
> > accident. Seems you can do what you want in this country, so long as
> > you're behind the wheel of a car. I'm not happy. Any suggestions?

> Has anyone contacted other groups, such as Pedal Power ACT or even a
> cycle-friendly local lawyer for advice? If the police seem unwilling to
> pursue further action, there's the opinion of a civil case.
>
> --
> cfsmtb

We were hoping to avoid a civil case, but that will really be up to
the injured guys and their insurance companies. Apparently (according
to the AFP) the burden of proof in that case wouldn't be so onerous.
More a case of who is the most likely to be at fault, even if it's 49%
one way 51% the other.

I was disappointed that the ACT Cycling Federation didn't want to act
as an advocate for the group, given they were all ACTCF members
training for ACTCF events. But they are all volunteers and they
probably have their reasons. Pedal Power were informed by email early
on, when we still thought the driver was going to be sanctioned, but
they never followed it up. I'll send them another email today.

I guess one thing that gets me is that the AFP didn't want to even
pursue charges for not stopping, which is a pretty serious offence
when someone is injured, I thought. Given that they didn't think they
could make other charges stick despite him being fairly obviously at
fault, I thought maybe they'd want to push this one a bit harder.

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 4 Jun 2008 20:43:20 -0700 (PDT)
Simon <[email protected]> wrote:
> I guess one thing that gets me is that the AFP didn't want to even
> pursue charges for not stopping, which is a pretty serious offence
> when someone is injured, I thought. Given that they didn't think they
> could make other charges stick despite him being fairly obviously at
> fault, I thought maybe they'd want to push this one a bit harder.

It does seem odd. Which means either the AFP are being complete
arseholes or there's more to it, meaning less proof than thought.

Zebee

In article
<e9e59a64-8a1c-412d-a346-f8bb487b9869@c19g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Simon <[email protected]> wrote:

> I guess one thing that gets me is that the AFP didn't want to even
> pursue charges for not stopping, which is a pretty serious offence
> when someone is injured, I thought.

Perhaps you should tell them someone of middle-eastern appearance was
involved -- that should get them all over the case.

--
Shane Stanley

On 5 Jun 2008 04:23:29 GMT, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:

>It does seem odd. Which means either the AFP are being complete
>arseholes or there's more to it, meaning less proof than thought

Someone posted on http://the-riotact.com/ of a driver throwing rocks
at other cars. Apparently the AFP weren't interested. After all, its
not real crime. ProudLocal stopped posting after that.

Simon said:
I guess one thing that gets me is that the AFP didn't want to even
pursue charges for not stopping, which is a pretty serious offence
when someone is injured, I thought. Given that they didn't think they
could make other charges stick despite him being fairly obviously at
fault, I thought maybe they'd want to push this one a bit harder.

Seen this letter published in CN?
http://www.cyclingnews.com/letters.php?id=letters/2008/06-05letters#7