Ride of Silence Australia 2007

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
Three Australian rides confirmed so far, with possibly Bendigo and Adelaide organising their own RoS events on Saturday 19 May.

See Ride of Silence or Wheels of Justice for more updates & ride contacts.

Australian Ride Contacts
http://www.rideofsilence.org/locations-international.php?i=Australia#Australia

Wheels of Justice
http://www.woj.com.au

Brisbane: Saturday 19th May. Ready for a 10.00am Departure.
We will be leaving at 10.00am so make sure you are there before then please!
Where: City Botanic Gardens (Lower end near river - corner of Edward and Alice st.)
Distance: Approx. 5 - 10km. (Slow Ride approx 13-18km per hour)
Route: King George Square riding the Streets of Brisbane
(proposed route is http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/32530 )
Destination: Parliament House

Sydney: Memorial Ride of Silence
Saturday 19 May 2007 10am from Archibald Fountain, Hyde Park, Sydney
Assemble: Hyde Park 10 am
Departure: (estimate) 10:15 am. Destination: (approx 12 noon) Parliament House, Macquarie Street

Melbourne: Meet: 10am Saturday May 19, 2007 At Federation Square, corner Flinders Street and St Kilda Rd, facing Flinders Street Station.
Destination: Parliament House Steps, Spring Street. There will be an opportunity for riders to speak at the conclusion.
Protocol: Please, no speaking during the ride unless absolutely necessary. Ride maximum two abreast and stop at red lights. Please follow all road rules, no blocking of traffic or pedestrians. There will be Ride of Silence signage and leaflets distributed on the day.

In 2003, Chris Phelan organized the first Ride Of Silence in Dallas after endurance cyclist Larry Schwartz was hit by the mirror of a passing bus and was killed.

The Ride Of Silence is a free ride that asks its cyclists to ride no faster than 12 mph and remain silent during the ride. There is no brochure, no sponsors, no registration fees and no t-shirt. The ride, which is held during Bike Safety month, aims to raise the awareness of motorists, police and city officials that cyclists have a legal right to the public roadways. The ride is also a chance to show respect for those who have been killed or injured.

Details for the Bendigo ride:

The meeting point is the Epsom Sports Complex Howard Street Epsom at 8.45am.

Date: 19th May 2007
Time: 8:45am till 9:30am
Potential group size: 200 plus riders

Leaving: The Epsom Sports Complex in Howard Street turning left into Midland Highway (traffic light controlled intersection)
Destination: The area along High Street (Dianne's Deli, Rays Tents)

The road is controlled primarily with traffic light intersections at the following intersections:
Lyons Street - Midland Highway
Nolan Street - Midland Highway
Pedestrian Lights between Tomlins Street & Tramways (Access to walking track to Lake)
Chapel Street - Mc Crae Street (McIvor Highway turn off)
Williamson Street - McIvor Highway
Mitchell Street - Intersection between Calder Highway and McIvor Highway

Short Street Intersection on the Calder Highway

Details of ride: The ride is contained to the road verge bicycle lane from Epsom Sports Complex till Mc Crae Street where lane is no longer available and one lane is usually contained by cyclists but leaves a lane for motorists. The ride is two by two peleton riding at low speed

Details for Adelaide Ride:

Adelaide Ride of Silence
http://www.woj.com.au/2007/05/16/adelaide-ride-of-silence/

On Saturday May 19th at 9am, Adelaide has the opportunity to join the International Ride of Silence. In the first 5 months of 2007 there has been a significant increase in fatal accidents for cyclists and pedestrians – at least 5 cyclists so far!

Join us & help to raise awareness of the community’s ‘right to ride’ in safety on our roads! We will remember our fellow riders in silence while also enjoying the ride & celebrating all that is good about cycling.

Where: Victoria Square, (immediately to the East of the tram terminus) to Glenelg.

Distance: Approx. 12km. When: Adelaide’s ride will leave at 9.30am SHARP. All participants are asked to arrive by at least 9am to allow orderly assembly and departure. Support: The ride will be supported and led by SAPOL with a BISA `pick-up’ vehicle following at the rear.

There will be several BISA Marshals at the assembly and arrival points and riding with the group.

Route: Along King William St-South (in right-hand lane), turn right on to South Trc. (left lane), left onto Anzac Highway (left lane).

At Glenelg we’ll turn right at the lights on Adelphi Trc, thence through the car park entrance on the left and straight onto the grassed area as directed by Marshals. We’ll have a short address to finalise the ride and then off for coffee or ice cream!

Registration: No registration necessary! However it would be useful in managing nos. if you would let us know you are coming at chairATbisa.asn.au. Participation is of course at your own risk!

Any queries? Contact Sam Powrie at chairATbisa.asn.au

From First Edition Cycling News for May 17, 2007
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/may07/may17news2

Ride of Silence honors injured and killed cyclists
Cyclists around the world are participating in silent, slow-paced rides maximum speed of 20kph / 12mph) in honor of those who have been injured or killed while cycling on public roads. In North America, rides began at hundreds of locations at 7 PM on Wednesday. The rides follow all road rules, are polite and respectful of other road users, and are conducted in silence unless speaking is absolute necessary. (more in article)

***

Contacts for Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Sydney rides:
http://www.rideofsilence.org/locations-international.php?i=Australia#Australia

Melbourne Press release here:
http://www.woj.com.au/docs/MelbRoSMRMay07.pdf

And not forgetting, Ride of Silence routes on Bikely:

Melbourne:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/36594

Brisbane:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Brisbane-Ride-Of-Silence-2007

Adelaide:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ride-of-Silence-Sat-19th-May-2007

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> cfsmtb wrote:
>> From First Edition Cycling News for May 17, 2007
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/may07/may17news2
>>
>> Ride of Silence honors injured and killed cyclists

> Heard on the radio this am that a 46 yo cyclist was killed in a
> collision with a car at an intersection in Rockingham . They said
> someone failed to give way, but I didn't catch who.

That would be Rockingham WA. I heard it at 6:30 am on 94.5FM

Theo

Just note to say a heartfelt thank you to all the organisers and participants in Saturdays Ride of Silence in Bendigo, Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne.

If you have a report, photos or any feedback, please feel free to contact WoJ (infoATwoj.com.au) to pass on details, as I'm collating ride reports & photos for Australian roundup for the WoJ website.

http://www.woj.com.au

Also please feel free to chat amongst your local contacts if you want to plan a local debrief or even contact us regarding any future planning for next years ride, as we'd very much appreciate to hear your ideas for promotion and media.