Ride on a work night...what to eat

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by noonievut, Apr 5, 2005.

1. noonievut

noonievut New Member

Aside from regular nutrition, what constitutes good foods to eat throughout the day and just prior to, or during a ride if I'm going for a 1 to 2 hour ride after work?

My usual weekday breakfast is cereal or yogurt, for lunch I have an apple, orange, banana, but I'm not sure what to eat in the afternoon (and when) as well as just before and during the ride.

I was thinking of a whole wheat bagel around 3:00pm and 1/2 clif bar just before ride and the other half during the ride (ride to start around 6pm).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and comments.

Tags:

2. noonievut

noonievut New Member

LOL...16 views and no response!

I guess either no one works or no one rides after work.

3. dv1027

dv1027 New Member

well im not totally sure but I would probably eat something low card high protein. Not NO CARB but low. I don’t like to consume lots of crabs late in the day but maybe some more qualified people have a better opinion.

4. mark_e_smith

mark_e_smith New Member

That's all u eat for lunch? My stomach would cave in!

5. Wolfzazi

Wolfzazi New Member

Well for me it's school, and i ride right after it. Doing 4-5 hr rides this whole week thanks to the java. Usually a coffee or even a redbull will give me that bolt of energy to do that direct transition from school to biking. For food, i eat usually a protein bar or a banana. And for my "recovery" i get the mcdeal sandwich at Mcdonalds unfortunetely because later i'm toooo tired to do anything but be a couch potatoe than to cook myself a meal. After buying my new bike i am too poor to continue buying healthy subs, so mcdonalds is my last resort for fast food.

6. Catabolic Jones

Catabolic Jones New Member

Hey, not the most qualified to respond, but just from my limited experience, you need to eat MORE!! More complex carbs especially. Not sure what you are doing for dinner, but I would look at changing your lunch around, perhaps include whole oats or brown rice with egg or tofu. Also, make sure you pack down something glycemic right after your ride, followed by some nutritious complex carbs in the evening.

Maybe ric can reply?

7. chrispopovic

chrispopovic New Member

Dude. Try to balance out that diet. I start the day with a 1/2 cup of rice and a 1/2 cup of "Better 'n Eggs." Lunch is a 5 oz. pork chop or chicken breast along with more rice and some veggies - usually carrots, red peppers, asparagus or snow peas. Sometimes a mix of all. If I can get home by 5, I'll throw down a banana, some almonds or peanut butter and then off I go. ON rides of 20-25, I'll down a bottle of Accelerade or maybe a Power Gel pack. If I go longer, more gel, maybe another banana, more accelerade.

When I get home, I usually grill or steam a 5-7 oz. salmon filet. On top of that maybe a small baked potato, carrots or onions, or even more asparagus.

Late night maybe just a small portion of Ben & Jerry's or some hershey's dark chocolate. On average, i track about 1800-2200 calories per day. If I ride really long, I'll throw a couple ozs. of pasta and marinara in there to load up the carbs. Carb intake goes around 50%; fat around 22-25% and the rest to protein. I've been on this formula going on three months. I've lost 18 pounds and I am climbing like a freak. My body fat went from 21% to 15% and it's still dropping.

Check out a website called FitDay. It's at www.fitday.com. It's awesome for tracking what you eat and what the carb/fat/protein breakdown is. It's totally free and very educational. You'll never look at a plate full of food the same way again.

Good luck!

8. EL34

EL34 New Member

A 90 to 120 minute ride really doesn't need any special preparation in terms of food eaten in the previous 8 hours other than just the normal healthy diet a cyclist would be eating anyway. You can do that ride entirely on the glycogen in your muscles and your liver. I do two hour rides on water only because I enjoy my post ride meal much more than if I had taken some kind of sugar while on the ride. Four and six hour rides may require some preperation, but not a two hour ride.

9. noonievut

noonievut New Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I know my lunch sounds modest but I started that a few years ago (when I wasn't riding) because I would eat a big lunch then a big dinner, and I decided that something had to be cut back, and I couldn't tell my wife that it was her cooking :D . Funny thing, everyone who tells me that my lunch is too small is overweight; and I've always felt good with no health problems from eating that way.

On a day that I ride after work, I do have a larger lunch. My question was about what foods are good for the increased lunch on the day of a ride. I currently eat a whole wheat bagel a few hours before the ride then a clif bar during the ride. This seems to work fine for me, but I usually am a little tired during the ride (basically, I don't have the same feeling as I would on a Saturday morning ride which may start at 10am...though on a weekday I'm up at 5:45am and put in 9 hours of work...so maybe that's expected).

10. stormer94

stormer94 New Member

Chris, THANK YOU, for the fit day tip. :D I've been doing that same thing in a spreadsheet program, and then trying to get my polar HRM stuff in there... and another program for my weight, YIKES, always was a mess, and NOT convenient.

Fitday is very handy. Most grateful.

many thanks,
    -Bob