Ride Photos of a couple of areas in and around Phoenix, AZ, USA

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Geedubb, Nov 7, 2003.

  1. Geedubb

    Geedubb Guest

    There's been a couple of people talking about coming to Arizona for some winter riding so I thought
    I'd post links to some photos I took the last couple of days. Let's just say it's brown........

    Here is the trail that starts less than a mile from my house and has 11 miles of straight through
    single track right in the heart of Phoenix. Additionally there are roughly 60 miles of trails that
    connect in some way to this trail though not all are bike friendly.

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?K2CE42976

    This link shows some of the trail at White Tanks Regional Park that my buddy Alex and I rode
    yesterday afternoon. There's a race here on Saturday put on by the County Park Service.
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?V29E32976

    It looks like the Park Service has gone in and taken out some of the technical drops and made super
    highways out of them. I haven't ridden here for over a year so these area may have been washed out
    to a point where they had to be redone. There are still some areas that are rutted and washed out in
    areas where you run into them at some speed which for me was a little unnerving.

    I also added a WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4 on the front end before riding Thursday, switching from an IRC
    Mythosxc 1.95. What a difference in handling the loose sand and granite. I had much more control
    with the WTB.

    As I ride some of the other trails I'll add them to my site and post the links.

    Gary

    Tags:

  2. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:22:11 -0700, GeeDubb <[email protected]> wrote:

    > There's been a couple of people talking about coming to Arizona for some winter riding so I
    > thought I'd post links to some photos I took the last couple of days. Let's just say it's
    > brown........
    >
    > Here is the trail that starts less than a mile from my house and has 11 miles of straight through
    > single track right in the heart of Phoenix. Additionally there are roughly 60 miles of trails that
    > connect in some way to this trail though not all are bike friendly.
    >
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?K2CE42976
    >
    > This link shows some of the trail at White Tanks Regional Park that my buddy Alex and I rode
    > yesterday afternoon. There's a race here on Saturday put on by the County Park Service.
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?V29E32976
    >
    > It looks like the Park Service has gone in and taken out some of the technical drops and made
    > super highways out of them. I haven't ridden here for over a year so these area may have been
    > washed out to a point where they had to be redone. There are still some areas that are rutted and
    > washed out in areas where you run into them at some speed which for me was a little unnerving.
    >
    > I also added a WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4 on the front end before riding Thursday, switching from an IRC
    > Mythosxc 1.95. What a difference in handling the loose sand and granite. I had much more control
    > with the WTB.
    >
    > As I ride some of the other trails I'll add them to my site and post the links.
    >
    > Gary

    These links just take me to an HP photo website.

    Bob, who's from Phoenix, AZ, but who's glad he doesn't live there anymore.

    --
    Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

  3. Destroy

    Destroy Guest

    Links are borked.

    GeeDubb wrote:
    > There's been a couple of people talking about coming to Arizona for some winter riding so I
    > thought I'd post links to some photos I took the last couple of days. Let's just say it's
    > brown........

  4. Geedubb

    Geedubb Guest

    > These links just take me to an HP photo website.
    >
    > Bob, who's from Phoenix, AZ, but who's glad he doesn't live there anymore.
    >
    > --
    > Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

    Damn, I hate when that happens. I'll try w/o the short link.

    Trail 100 at
    http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=garyrwilliams&password=12304142

    White Tanks at
    http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=garyrwilliams&password=50490933

    Gary

    "Bob M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:22:11 -0700, GeeDubb <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > There's been a couple of people talking about coming to Arizona for some winter riding so I
    > > thought I'd post links to some photos I took the last couple of days. Let's just say it's
    > > brown........
    > >
    > > Here is the trail that starts less than a mile from my house and has 11 miles of straight
    > > through single track right in the heart of Phoenix. Additionally there are roughly 60 miles of
    > > trails that connect in some way to this trail though not all are bike friendly.
    > >
    > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?K2CE42976
    > >
    > > This link shows some of the trail at White Tanks Regional Park that my buddy Alex and I rode
    > > yesterday afternoon. There's a race here on Saturday put on by the County Park Service.
    > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?V29E32976
    > >
    > > It looks like the Park Service has gone in and taken out some of the technical drops and made
    > > super highways out of them. I haven't ridden here for over a year so these area may have been
    > > washed out to a point where they had to be redone. There are still some areas that are rutted
    > > and washed out in areas where you run into them at some speed which for me was a little
    > > unnerving.
    > >
    > > I also added a WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4 on the front end before riding Thursday, switching from an
    > > IRC Mythosxc 1.95. What a difference in handling the loose sand and granite. I had much more
    > > control with the WTB.
    > >
    > > As I ride some of the other trails I'll add them to my site and post the links.
    > >
    > > Gary

  5. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:22:11 -0700, GeeDubb wrote:
    > There's been a couple of people talking about coming to Arizona for some winter riding so I
    > thought I'd post links to some photos I took the last couple of days. Let's just say it's
    > brown........

    Really? It looks kind of grey to me.

    I've only ridden South Mountain - mainly because of business trips to Chandler which is of course
    pretty close. That was damn fun riding, too. Enchaladas at Rosas were spectacular, too (though
    the neighborhood was a little scary). Seems like one could easily spend a few days riding just
    around Phoenix.

    --
    -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least) "It's a shallow life that
    doesn't give a person a few scars" - Garrison Keillor

  6. South Mountain is definitely an excellent trail for being inner-city. Yes, that neighborhood is very
    scary. You are much braver than me. I was in a 7-11 there about 5 years ago when it was robbed. The
    rent-a-cop in the store ran outside and called the cops even though he had a gun. Meanwhile I was
    inside s-ing my pants. I now avoid the area like the plague.

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:22:11 -0700, GeeDubb wrote:
    > > There's been a couple of people talking about coming to Arizona for some winter riding so I
    > > thought I'd post links to some photos I took the last couple of days. Let's just say it's
    > > brown........
    >
    > Really? It looks kind of grey to me.
    >
    > I've only ridden South Mountain - mainly because of business trips to Chandler which is of course
    > pretty close. That was damn fun riding, too. Enchaladas at Rosas were spectacular, too (though the
    > neighborhood was a little scary). Seems like one could easily spend a few days riding just around
    > Phoenix.
    >
    > --
    > -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least) "It's a shallow life
    > that doesn't give a person a few scars" - Garrison
    Keillor

  7. Chuckles

    Chuckles Guest

    Bob M wrote:

    > These links just take me to an HP photo website.
    >
    > Bob, who's from Phoenix, AZ, but who's glad he doesn't live there anymore.

    I've been thinking about moving to Phoenix. Is there something that I should know that might
    change my mind?

    Thanks

  8. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Chuckles <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bob M wrote:
    >>
    >> These links just take me to an HP photo website.
    >>
    >> Bob, who's from Phoenix, AZ, but who's glad he doesn't live there anymore.
    >
    >I've been thinking about moving to Phoenix. Is there something that I should know that might
    >change my mind?

    As large cities go, I think the Phoenix area is one of the best. Yeah, you DO have to contend
    with the summer temperatures, but the rest of the year the weather is perfect. It's certainly
    no harder to get around in than most cities (much easier than most IMHO), and the east valley
    has a well-developed bike lane program that makes it very practical to go almost anywhere you
    want by bike.

    It could be a lot worse...

  9. Geedubb

    Geedubb Guest

    "Chuckles" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Bob M wrote:
    > >
    > > These links just take me to an HP photo website.
    > >
    > > Bob, who's from Phoenix, AZ, but who's glad he doesn't live there
    anymore.

    > I've been thinking about moving to Phoenix. Is there something that I should know that might
    > change my mind?
    >
    > Thanks

    Rant On - I've been here for 43 years, a rare native. I'v seen this place grow w/o much concern for
    mass transportation, water conservation, or air quality issues. Maybe it's similar everywhere but
    people coming here are damn nasty at times. Drivers from all over the country crammed into Phoenix
    all with their own way of driving. Some drive slow, more drive fast, and most hate cyclists.

    People move(d) here to get away from the "big city" way of life but then change(d) it into what they
    left. And then there's our pitiful group of politicians that can't seem to wipe their butts w/o
    spending our money on a new sports stadium of some sort. "it's good for the tax base so we're going
    to raise taxes to help pay for the stadiums' Funny how the taxes never come back down. Yea, bringing
    the Cardinals here was a good idea (said with a lot of sarcasm).

    Schools (education) for the most part suck. I won't go into the details unless you ask. Rant Off

    Fortunately our recent mayor was a cyclist and he established more bike lanes if you're into road
    biking. There's a flood control canal with a path that runs from east Mesa to Peoria with
    underpasses at most of the major street crossings.

    Construction is still booming so jobs are still plentiful. Yes we do have the three major league
    sports teams, four if you include the Cardinals.

    Mountain biking is really big here. You can ride just about every day. South Mountain has some
    awesome, highly difficult trails. The Phoenix Mountain Preserve has a good trail system (which I
    posted some pix of) and there are three county parks with 'fast bikes have the right-of-way' race
    courses. Soon to be added is a system of trails in the far southeastern valley (San Tan area) and
    rumor has it that a trail system linking the county parks is in the planning stages. East Mesa has
    the Red Mountain trails area and North Scottsdale has the Pima & Dynamite area (though you have to
    keep a heads up for motorcycles).

    Then there's Tucson, Payson, the White Mountains and the Flagstaff area if Phoenix gets boring
    and the Arizona Trail crossing the entire length of the state though parts of it go through
    wilderness area.

    If the wife and kids would agree, I'd be in Southwestern Colorado in a lot less populated area.

    Gary