Ride Pictures: Johansen and Gazos Creek Roads, November 2005

Bill Bushnell

Guest
November 19, 2005

I planned this route to go mostly the reverse of last week's route on
Old Haul and Gazos Creek Roads, except that I wanted to descend Johansen
Road, a road that I hadn't ridden in over ten years.

I started by taking the straight road to Saratoga then climbed CA9 over
Saratoga Gap to Waterman Gap. Unfortunately, the stopsign at the new
intersection at Waterman Gap doesn't allow one legally to build up
momentum to carry across to the short ascent on the other side.

I continued onto CA236 and turned right on China Grade Rd. From this
point until I got to the bottom of Gazos Creek Road I saw no one.

I climbed to the top of China Grade then continued onto the dirt road
until I got to Johansen Rd. I usually descend South Butano Fire Trail
when I go this way, but today I turned left and began the descent to
Sandy Point Junction on Johansen Rd.

Johansen Road lies at the northern boundary of Big Basin Redwoods State
Park and doesn't get much traffic. The road was covered with many
leaves, twigs and branches. A "track" was not to be seen, evidence that
few ride or hike this road.

When I got to Sandy Point I turned right on Gazos Creek Rd. and
descended into the canyon and along Gazos Creek, stopping several times
to take pictures.

At this time of year what little light that manages to shine into the
canyon does so at an angle that highlights the colors of the foliage,
much like light at sunrise or sunset. The changing color of the big
leaf maples were still spectacular, although the week before had been
closer to the peak.

While I was climbing Cloverdale Rd. my rear tire blew out. The hole was
substantial and required a boot. (I use Tyvek.) Adding insult to injury
I discovered that my pump was missing, probably fell off on Johansen or
Gazos Creek Roads. Just as I was finished mounting the new tube in the
tire, a kind motorcyclist came by who happened to have a compressor in
his trunk, and with the Presta to Schrader adapter I carry in my patch
kit we were able to inflate the tire.

But, because the rear tire was fatally injured and I had no pump, I
decided to return home on roads that were likely to see more traffic in
case I had further trouble. So, instead of taking Old Haul Rd., Bridge
Trail, and Camp Pomponio Rd. as I had planned, I climbed Pescadero Rd.
and Alpine Rd., and returned home on Page Mill and Moody Roads without
incident.

(79 miles; 7300 feet climbing)

http://tinyurl.com/afvsh

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/

I enjoy looking at all your ride pix.
One of the main reasons I want to move to the Bay Area
is the great rides I see in yours and other webpages in your area.
I tried for years to get a job there: pretty hard coming from
the East Coast. But now I got a job around LA, so should be
easier to move up there, now that I am a Cal. resident.
Very soon, I will be riding those same roads.....

news:[email protected]...