Ride profile for Sacramento Wheelmen Sierra Century?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Tom Young, Mar 10, 2004.

  1. Tom Young

    Tom Young Guest

    Hi all:

    I'm looking at the "Sierra Century" put on by the
    Sacramento Wheelmen June 5 as possibly my "first ever"
    century ride. Only thing is, the web site doesn't have a
    rout profile posted, though the verbiage suggests there's
    at least one pretty challenging climb: "You'll approach the
    Sierra high country on your way to the legendary climb up
    Slug Gulch. Those who conquer the climb will receive a
    special award. If you'd like to save Slug Gulch for next
    year, take the bypass option."

    The description suggests – but doesn't say so in so many
    words – that the "bypass" still gives you century distance.
    Can anybody clear this up for me?

    TIA.

    Tom Young

    Tags:

  2. I did the Sierra Century double metric last year. Beautiful
    scenery over roads with little traffic. Slug Gulch is steep
    but not that long. I soaked my feet in wading pools of cold
    water provided at the top (as did others). Very friendly and
    thought by many to be at least one of the best supported
    centuries around.

    Steve Juniper "Most accidents occur at home in bed." --
    A.E. Neuman --

    "Tom Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... Hi
    all:

    I'm looking at the "Sierra Century" put on by the
    Sacramento Wheelmen June 5 as possibly my "first ever"
    century ride. Only thing is, the web site doesn't have a
    rout profile posted, though the verbiage suggests there's
    at least one pretty challenging climb: "You'll approach the
    Sierra high country on your way to the legendary climb up
    Slug Gulch. Those who conquer the climb will receive a
    special award. If you'd like to save Slug Gulch for next
    year, take the bypass option."

    The description suggests - but doesn't say so in so many
    words - that the "bypass" still gives you century distance.
    Can anybody clear this up for me?

    TIA.

    Tom Young

  3. Bill Kraus

    Bill Kraus Guest

    Of all the centuries I did last year (including the Death
    Ride), I think the Sierra Century Challenge was my favorite.
    Great support, fun climbs (Slug Gulch wasn't nearly as bad
    as they made it out to be, but then again, I live in Tahoe
    and all we have here are hills to climb :) ), and a good
    looking jersey as well.

    news:[email protected]_s52...