rec.bicycles.rides · Public discussion

Ride Report: Blazing Saddles

Started by pete salomone · · Last activity · 2 posts · 603 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.rides
Published
1 September 2004
Last activity
17 September 2004
Original author
pete salomone
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
603
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Ride Report: Blazing Saddles

    I arrived at Georgetown(MA) HS just before 7:30 am on August 28 for Blazing
    Saddles, a ride offered by the North Shore Cyclists. The lower parking lot was
    already filled cyclists wanting an early start on a hot, humid day. At
    registration ($15 on the day of the ride) I got a water bottle and a cue sheet
    with a map on the back.

    Around 7:45 I was on my way heading for New Hampshire on the northwest loop
    that includes about five miles of NH. I decided to start slowly and warm up
    before looking for a speedy group of riders. Almost the whole route was on
    quiet country roads surrounded by trees with a mostly flat terrain with some
    gentle hills.

    Soon I turned onto Bridge St presumably named for the bridge that crossed the
    Merrimack River. Just after the bridge I missed the 8 mile water stop, which if
    I had seen, I probably would have just ridden by. So far I had not seen anyone
    on the century route until I caught up to a couple of riders.

    In a couple of minutes I heard voices behind as “the blazing saddles’ had
    arrived first as a dozen riders with Noshoma jerseys and shorts followed by
    another dozen riders. This century now lived up to its name. We zoomed in and
    out of NH and back to the Merrimack River where one Noshoma rider got a flat.
    Most riders waited with a few continuing on. Then several of us continued on.

    There were five of us in a pretty good pace line as we crossed the Merrimack on
    the same bridge heading for the ocean which was about ten miles away. On the
    bridge I noticed I had about half of my second water bottle left. I could and
    should have ridden to the 8 mile water stop which was less than a half mile from
    the bridge.

    I rationed my last half bottle until we reached the first rest stop at 43 miles
    in Newbury just a few blocks from the ocean. The next sag stop was at 75
    miles. I filled my water bottles, ate, and put some cookies and a banana in my
    jersey pockets. I regretted leaving the Blazing Saddles water bottle which came
    with registration in my car. I also regretted leaving my camelbak at home
    assuming I would not need it.

    A group f us left the rest stop together but not going quite as fast as
    before. I figured I would ration my energy expenditure as well as my food and
    water until I reached the 75 mile rest stop. As we got close to Ipswich, I
    stopped at a general store for a bottle of grapefruit juice. While I thought I
    paid the North Shore Cycling club to support me I was not foolish enough to ride
    on empty. Shortly after stopping I came across the first of about four turns
    that were not marked or only marked once. Most turns were marked with a before
    and after arrow. Many continue straight were marked with a straight arrow. I
    forked to the left to stay on Linebrook Rd and soon came to a right turn.

    There was another confusing turn in Ipswich, but the Noshoma riders came by, so
    I knew which way to go. I hung with them for several miles. Then slowed and
    ate the banana I carried from the first rest stop. The next rest stop was less
    than ten miles away. They had water and a small amount of food, mostly
    cookies. While I was there the two rest stop workers debated whether or not
    they had enough water. One said I think we’ll be ok. They other replied.
    “uh-oh here comes a large group of riders.”

    I asked one worker about a restaurant for lunch and another rider told me about
    three restaurants in Manchester. Another rider said some of the best scenery
    was east of Manchester and off the route. I was thinking maybe we should have
    skipped NH for more riding along the ocean.

    When I got to Manchester, I decided to skip the restaurants for now realizing I
    might not see another. As I crossed 128 I came across another lack of road
    markings. The map indicated a left on Hull, the cue sheet agreed, but there
    were no current road markings only reddish ones from a prior year. As I tried
    to figure out what to do, a group of riders came by making up my mind for me. I
    hung with them for a while until hunger got the best of me.

    I stopped a fellow leaving the train in Topsfield asking about restaurants and
    he said there were many in a shopping center two miles down the road. Initially
    my plan was a large chocolate shake and a large order of fried from McDonalds.
    Right across the road from McDonalds was a Starbucks and I thought double
    chocolate cream frappuccino and apple fritter. Besides that I had a large ice
    water and got my water bottles filled with ice water.

    Leaving Starbucks with lots of calories I was ready to complete the ride.
    Actually I had only 15 miles to go which was an easy hour. At mile 98 it
    started raining; it felt great. It rained harder; it was so refreshing.
    Luckily it almost stopped raining while I loaded my bike and changed into dry
    clothes, but it stormed on the way home.

    EVALUATION

    Brochure – I never saw a brochure, but there was some information on the North
    Shore Cyclists website.

    Routes – good. Gentle terrain, rustic, quiet roads. A few more miles along the
    ocean would have been nice.

    Intersections - a warning mark and a mark after most the intersection plus many
    straight arrows indicating the route. Some missing arrows caused confusion.

    Cue sheet – good. With a map giving the option to pick a short cut if you are
    tired, if it starts to rain, etc.

    Rest stops – fair. The first rest stop was over 40 miles after the start. It
    was fully stocked. The second 35 miles later had just a little food. I believe
    stronger riders should have rest stops every 20 miles, maybe 25. Slower riders
    need more frequent rest stops if they are drinking a water bottle every hour.

    Sags – bad. I didn’t notice a sag vehicle while I rode. There was a note on
    the map with a number to call for support.

    Value – moderate price; low service.

    Conclusion – I will not be on this ride next year.

    Addendum: I have ridden on over 20 different invitationals; many several
    times. I have worked on club invitationals for ten years and am aware of and
    thankful for the significant effort volunteers make in the forms of:
    Publicity Route planning Route marking Parking Registration Rest stops
    SAG wagons Clean up

  2. pete salomone <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Ride Report: Blazing Saddles

    I arrived at Georgetown(MA) HS just before 7:30 am on August 28 for Blazing
    Saddles, a ride offered by the North Shore Cyclists. The lower parking lot was
    already filled cyclists wanting an early start on a hot, humid day. At
    registration ($15 on the day of the ride) I got a water bottle and a cue sheet
    with a map on the back.

    Around 7:45 I was on my way heading for New Hampshire on the northwest loop
    that includes about five miles of NH. I decided to start slowly and warm up
    before looking for a speedy group of riders. Almost the whole route was on
    quiet country roads surrounded by trees with a mostly flat terrain with some
    gentle hills.

    Soon I turned onto Bridge St presumably named for the bridge that crossed the
    Merrimack River. Just after the bridge I missed the 8 mile water stop, which if
    I had seen, I probably would have just ridden by. So far I had not seen anyone
    on the century route until I caught up to a couple of riders.

    In a couple of minutes I heard voices behind as ?the blazing saddles? had
    arrived first as a dozen riders with Noshoma jerseys and shorts followed by
    another dozen riders. This century now lived up to its name. We zoomed in and
    out of NH and back to the Merrimack River where one Noshoma rider got a flat.
    Most riders waited with a few continuing on. Then several of us continued on.

    There were five of us in a pretty good pace line as we crossed the Merrimack on
    the same bridge heading for the ocean which was about ten miles away. On the
    bridge I noticed I had about half of my second water bottle left. I could and
    should have ridden to the 8 mile water stop which was less than a half mile from
    the bridge.

    I rationed my last half bottle until we reached the first rest stop at 43 miles
    in Newbury just a few blocks from the ocean. The next sag stop was at 75
    miles. I filled my water bottles, ate, and put some cookies and a banana in my
    jersey pockets. I regretted leaving the Blazing Saddles water bottle which came
    with registration in my car. I also regretted leaving my camelbak at home
    assuming I would not need it.

    A group f us left the rest stop together but not going quite as fast as
    before. I figured I would ration my energy expenditure as well as my food and
    water until I reached the 75 mile rest stop. As we got close to Ipswich, I
    stopped at a general store for a bottle of grapefruit juice. While I thought I
    paid the North Shore Cycling club to support me I was not foolish enough to ride
    on empty. Shortly after stopping I came across the first of about four turns
    that were not marked or only marked once. Most turns were marked with a before
    and after arrow. Many continue straight were marked with a straight arrow. I
    forked to the left to stay on Linebrook Rd and soon came to a right turn.

    There was another confusing turn in Ipswich, but the Noshoma riders came by, so
    I knew which way to go. I hung with them for several miles. Then slowed and
    ate the banana I carried from the first rest stop. The next rest stop was less
    than ten miles away. They had water and a small amount of food, mostly
    cookies. While I was there the two rest stop workers debated whether or not
    they had enough water. One said I think we?ll be ok. They other replied.
    ?uh-oh here comes a large group of riders.?

    I asked one worker about a restaurant for lunch and another rider told me about
    three restaurants in Manchester. Another rider said some of the best scenery
    was east of Manchester and off the route. I was thinking maybe we should have
    skipped NH for more riding along the ocean.

    When I got to Manchester, I decided to skip the restaurants for now realizing I
    might not see another. As I crossed 128 I came across another lack of road
    markings. The map indicated a left on Hull, the cue sheet agreed, but there
    were no current road markings only reddish ones from a prior year. As I tried
    to figure out what to do, a group of riders came by making up my mind for me. I
    hung with them for a while until hunger got the best of me.

    I stopped a fellow leaving the train in Topsfield asking about restaurants and
    he said there were many in a shopping center two miles down the road. Initially
    my plan was a large chocolate shake and a large order of fried from McDonalds.
    Right across the road from McDonalds was a Starbucks and I thought double
    chocolate cream frappuccino and apple fritter. Besides that I had a large ice
    water and got my water bottles filled with ice water.

    Leaving Starbucks with lots of calories I was ready to complete the ride.
    Actually I had only 15 miles to go which was an easy hour. At mile 98 it
    started raining; it felt great. It rained harder; it was so refreshing.
    Luckily it almost stopped raining while I loaded my bike and changed into dry
    clothes, but it stormed on the way home.

    EVALUATION

    Brochure ? I never saw a brochure, but there was some information on the North
    Shore Cyclists website.

    Routes ? good. Gentle terrain, rustic, quiet roads. A few more miles along the
    ocean would have been nice.

    Intersections - a warning mark and a mark after most the intersection plus many
    straight arrows indicating the route. Some missing arrows caused confusion.

    Cue sheet ? good. With a map giving the option to pick a short cut if you are
    tired, if it starts to rain, etc.

    Rest stops ? fair. The first rest stop was over 40 miles after the start. It
    was fully stocked. The second 35 miles later had just a little food. I believe
    stronger riders should have rest stops every 20 miles, maybe 25. Slower riders
    need more frequent rest stops if they are drinking a water bottle every hour.

    Sags ? bad. I didn?t notice a sag vehicle while I rode. There was a note on
    the map with a number to call for support.

    Value ? moderate price; low service.

    Conclusion ? I will not be on this ride next year.

    Addendum: I have ridden on over 20 different invitationals; many several
    times. I have worked on club invitationals for ten years and am aware of and
    thankful for the significant effort volunteers make in the forms of:
    Publicity Route planning Route marking Parking Registration Rest stops
    SAG wagons Clean up

    Zach Trexler eats SAG wagons.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.