Ride report: BR some number (too tired to check)

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by DaveB, Oct 22, 2005.

  1. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Gasp, must ... continue ... pressing ... keys ... sooooooo ... tired.

    Today's ride has left me completely trashed. First time out for nearly a
    month after concentrating on running. Ess93, Flying Dutch and Craigster
    out for a very warm and sunny day. BOM forecast was somewhat bizarre
    forecasting fog this morning but 14degrees. The official BR clock
    (thanks Auto Barn) showed 20 degrees at 7;30am. There's no way it was 20
    but it was still pretty warm.

    After discussion on how to avoid the Paris-Roubiex section we agreed to
    go through the gravel at snail's pace; FD is still about skittish, and I
    was too after finding a gravle filled hole in that section last time
    out. As it turned out Ess fell in the same hole with me just behind him;
    anyone wanting a clipout-in-a-hurry lesson should talk to Ess.

    The main hills left me trashed so in order to punish my body further I
    decided to do Clintons Rd for the first time. Thanks gawd for my
    faithful domestiques otherwise I never would have made it to Smith
    Gully, although FD's complaint that I was breathing too loud was a bit
    out of line ;) (ok at that stage I was sounding a bit like Puffing Billy).

    The trip home was fairly good with a ostly tail wind. I think Ess set a
    new speed record coming down into Greensborough. I left the group at my
    Heidelberg bailout point, and despite toying with faking a mechanical
    and calling for the car, continued home at a very slow pace.

    Dave "so not ready for kew Crits to start" B

    Tags:

  2. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    It was 15deg at the start, according to the radio. I actually feel alright after the ride, nice and pleasant.

    That sections getting worse each week, 4000 holes on old-warrandyte rd, and the holes ain't small.

    Not sure what the record is, but I clocked 82.1, my new top speed :D My previous PB was 80.6 on the main hill. Of course I got a bit of assistance from a truck, just wish he was going more than 60, ended up pulling out and overtaking him. I reckon his grin was as big as mine :D

    Also got a new PB on the Warrandyte climb, 12:08, knocking 14 sec off. Oh yeah and first time I'd gone over 70 on the 3rd downhill (the one after we turn at the servo) All in all a very gratifying day.

  3. dave

    dave Guest

    essendon93 wrote:

    >>Today's ride has left me completely trashed. First time out for nearly
    >>month after concentrating on running. Ess93, Flying Dutch and Craigster
    >>out for a very warm and sunny day. BOM forecast was somewhat bizarre
    >>forecasting fog this morning but 14degrees. The official BR clock
    >>(thanks Auto Barn) showed 20 degrees at 7;30am. There's no way it was
    >>20
    >>but it was still pretty warm.

    > It was 15deg at the start, according to the radio. I actually feel
    > alright after the ride, nice and pleasant.
    >

    >>After discussion on how to avoid the Paris-Roubiex section we agreed to
    >>go through the gravel at snail's pace; FD is still about skittish, and
    >>was too after finding a gravle filled hole in that section last time
    >>out. As it turned out Ess fell in the same hole with me just behind
    >>him;
    >>anyone wanting a clipout-in-a-hurry lesson should talk to Ess.
    >>That sections getting worse each week, 4000 holes on old-warrandyte rd,

    > and the holes ain't small.
    >

    >>The trip home was fairly good with a ostly tail wind. I think Ess set a
    >>new speed record coming down into Greensborough.
    >>

    > Not sure what the record is, but I clocked 82.1, my new top speed :D My
    > previous PB was 80.6 on the main hill. Of course I got a bit of
    > assistance from a truck, just wish he was going more than 60, ended up
    > pulling out and overtaking him. I reckon his grin was as big as mine
    > :D
    >
    > Also got a new PB on the Warrandyte climb, 12:08, knocking 14 sec off.
    > Oh yeah and first time I'd gone over 70 on the 3rd downhill (the one
    > after we turn at the servo) All in all a very gratifying day.

    Well Kath and I did the rotary river ride. All fun. Kath who remember
    lacks confidence was flying on some of the gravel bits.

    On the way back a bloke went down in a big way in front of us.. I think
    most likely a cracked rib where he landed on the bars. We ended up
    waiting (with a nurse who was riding who I have seen somewhere before..)
    untill the ambos arived. At least it wasnt kathy.

    Dave

  4. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    "essendon93" wrote in message ...

    > Also got a new PB on the Warrandyte climb, 12:08, knocking 14 sec off.
    > Oh yeah and first time I'd gone over 70 on the 3rd downhill (the one
    > after we turn at the servo) All in all a very gratifying day.

    Awesome work Ess, sounds like there is a sub 12 on the way!!

    cheers,
    GPL

  5. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Bikesoiler & I encountered fog on the Merri Creek whilst returning home from Goat on Friday evening. Early summer, a lot of humidity & storms et al cooking up during the day.

  6. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Dave, would you be happy to domestique if a bloke from work comes along next Sunday. He's slower than you are, and struggles up the hills.

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    i think if you 'find it' you 'keep it'
    bit unfair on DaveB IMHO

    why dont we just give hi headstarts on the uppy bits. The TTing section last week worked out perfectly doing that...

  8. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Fair call Dutch
    I not saying in every single section, I was mainly thinking if Dave wanted to go straight ahead to Smiths Gully instead of Clintons for instance, or going off together after the muffin stop :)

  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    nah. you need the 'ride like an audaxer' training :D:D:D

    besides, some of us would like to claim we beat you up a hill for once :D
    Altho I'm guessing DaveB may opt for the 'non-clinton' cafe run :rolleyes:
    (either that or I'm gettin earplugs. listening to someone have a coronary <daveB baiting> plays havoc with your rhythm :D)

  10. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > essendon93 Wrote:
    >
    >>Fair call Dutch
    >>I not saying in every single section, I was mainly thinking if Dave
    >>wanted to go straight ahead to Smiths Gully instead of Clintons for
    >>instance, or going off together after the muffin stop :)

    > nah. you need the 'ride like an audaxer' training :D:D:D
    >
    > besides, some of us would like to claim we beat you up a hill for once
    > :D
    > Altho I'm guessing DaveB may opt for the 'non-clinton' cafe run
    > :rolleyes:
    > (either that or I'm gettin earplugs. listening to someone have a
    > coronary <daveB baiting> plays havoc with your rhythm :D)

    HURRUMPH! (that's indignation not an imitation of my breathing up
    Clintons Rd). Nobody can say I don't work hard.

    Ess if a newbie makes it as far as Kangaroo Ground I'm happy to take
    them along some shortcuts. Given my current bike fitness I may end up
    using them as domestique (no honestly it's much easier if you ride in
    front).

    DaveB

  11. kyra

    kyra New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2003
    HURRUMPH! (that's indignation not an imitation of my breathing up
    Clintons Rd). Nobody can say I don't work hard.

    Ess if a newbie makes it as far as Kangaroo Ground I'm happy to take
    them along some shortcuts. Given my current bike fitness I may end up
    using them as domestique (no honestly it's much easier if you ride in
    front).

    DaveB[/QUOTE]

    g'day gents,

    I'm back from european summer and ready to rejoin the BR ride... i've only made a couple of cameos before but ready to hit it each weekend. Dave, i guarrantee i will struggle to keep on your back wheel up the slightest hill, let alone the big ones! I do believe I hit 89.something on my second attempt at that hill, i flew past a few people on the way down.

    cheers,
    Bill

  12. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Hey! there's a blast for the past

    The ride has changed a bit since you were last out. lots of options but all centred around the Smiths Gully Bakery :D
    see ya on Sunday

  13. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    kyra wrote:

    > g'day gents,
    >
    > I'm back from european summer and ready to rejoin the BR ride... i've
    > only made a couple of cameos before but ready to hit it each weekend.
    > Dave, i guarrantee i will struggle to keep on your back wheel up the
    > slightest hill, let alone the big ones! I do believe I hit 89.something
    > on my second attempt at that hill, i flew past a few people on the way
    > down.
    >
    > cheers,
    > Bill

    So will you be meeting us at Doncaster or the top of the hill (from
    memory you live out that way somewhere)??

    DaveB

  14. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004

  15. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    essendon93 wrote:
    as
    >>well as an attempt not to embarass myself at Kew next week.

    I'm aiming to not embarass myself at Kew but I suspect I'm aiming a
    little lower than you. My aim is to not be lapped twice by D-grade. Once
    will be quite acceptable.

    DaveB "aiming low"