Ride report:(warning: Long) predawn darkness, the vagaries of Divine Providence, and remounts

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Luigi de Guzman, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Have been off the bike for too long.

    I call my buddy Peter up last night. "You and your brother-in-law
    still do your morning rides?"

    "Yeah, thirty miles."

    "Where do you start?"

    He tells me the start point, about fifteen miles away from my house.
    "I'll meet you there at seven thirty tomorrow. I'll be riding in."

    My alarm goes off today at four o'clock. Wake up, wash my face, eat a
    bowl of cereal. It's still dark outside. Get my stuff ready. Catch
    flak from mom & dad--they dont' like the idea of my riding off before
    dawn. Not safe.

    It's five o'clock when I set out. Still dark. My lights are on. I
    move slowly--around nine miles an hour, on average, in the dark.
    Safety first: even with lights, it's hard to see road hazards in the
    dark.

    I make good time. Dawn breaks. The sun is now up, and I'm cranking
    a steady fifteen miles an hour on a striaght stretch. Out of nowhere,
    I say the antiphon for matins under my breath: "O Lord, open my lips/
    And let my mouth proclaim Thy praise". I pray the rosary as I go,
    tapping decades out on my fingers.

    God in Heaven is a good friend, and like many good friends, He is not
    beyond a joke. I finish a decade on a doxology: "Glory...." and
    just as I finish, I roll to a stop sign. My toe catches on my front
    fender, folds it under the wheel, and I go down. I start laughing.

    I pull the offending fender off and go the remaining distance to the
    meeting point--Peter's brother-in-law's house. Just as I'm around the
    corner from the house, POW. A spoke breaks.

    Now I know I'm a fat bastard, but this is ridiculous. These are
    thirty-six spoke wheels, recently trued. I examine the hub flange,
    and see that the spoke hole has keyholed somewhat--I suspect this
    deformation of the spoke hole has been sawing spokes off right at the
    spokehead, causing the breakages. Time to haul that back to the
    shop...I'm going to want a new wheel on warrantee (even though the
    bike is now 2 years old), because the hub seems to have been defective
    from the word go, and I've broken more than a few spokes at that same
    place.

    Peter's brother-in-law, luckily, had a Cannondale R500 which he
    doesn't ride much, which fits me just fine, so he lends that to me.
    It fits well enough that I don't have to adjust a thing. We mount up
    and go.

    There were a few adjustments that I had to make, mentally. First was
    the brakes: My Jamis Aurora's cantilevers are very very powerful.
    The Cannondale's brakes are dual-pivots sidepulls; strong enough, but
    they felt different. I had to make a panic stop (misjudge a left turn
    and nearly become a Ford Explorer hood ornament) and lock up the rear
    wheel--it fishtails. Let me never ever do that again.

    This was my first time on a modern, close-clearance road bike. I have
    to say it was a blast--for twenty-five miles of their thirty-mile
    loop, I was constantly itching to go out in front. Peter would attack
    me, just as a joke, and I'd counterattack with surprising (to me)
    combativeness. On one stretch, I cranked it and opened up two
    minutes' gap on my companions. The bicycle demanded to be ridden hard
    and fast--not like my Jamis, which reassures me and calms me to ride
    at a steady pace. Maybe someday I'll have a real modern road-racer.
    I'll have to think about it.

    My absence from the bike really showed up in the last five miles
    home--towards the end I was barely hanging on to Peter's wheel. The
    legs that I had earlier that morning were gone. It was frustrating,
    because I remember when i used to be able to ride faster, harder,
    farther. I was consoled, somewhat by the fact that I had tacked on
    sixteen extra miles (riding to the meeting point, instead of driving),
    and was riding a borrowed bike.

    So overall, I was pleased that I could still ride reasonably fast (for
    a man of my weight & fitness). But annoyed at the broken spoke on my
    own bike.

    Tags:

  2. So where's the ride report? ...and why isn't this in rec.bicycles.rides?

    Jobst Brandt
    [email protected]

  3. "Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I say the antiphon for matins under my breath: "O Lord, open my lips/
    > And let my mouth proclaim Thy praise".

    Adonai s'fatai tiftach ufi yagid t'hilatecha -- it's also the opening to the
    Amida.

    There's kind of a traveling song, "The River", by David Paskin, that uses
    Adonai s'fatai tiftach as a part of the words -- I think it goes something
    like:

    And the words they are my vessel
    And the thoughts they are the waves
    And I journey along the river with my heart leading the way
    And there are times the waves are angry
    There are times they're calm and slow
    And all along the river there is one thing that I know
    That I have miles and miles to go.

    Adonai s'fatai tiftach u'fi yagid t'hilatecha
    Eternal God, open up my lips that my mouth may declare your glory

    This would make a nice meditative bicycling song.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:

  4. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > So where's the ride report?

    You snipped it.

    ...and why isn't this in rec.bicycles.rides?

    Is there a rule in here?

    Bill "why aren't your political distortions in rec.misleadingarrogance?" S.

  5. S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> So where's the ride report?

    > You snipped it.
    >
    > ...and why isn't this in rec.bicycles.rides?
    >
    > Is there a rule in here?

    pot, kettle, black mr. quote cop.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]

  6. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    David Reuteler wrote:
    > S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> [email protected] wrote:
    >>
    >>> So where's the ride report?

    >> You snipped it.
    >>
    >> ...and why isn't this in rec.bicycles.rides?
    >>
    >> Is there a rule in here?

    > pot, kettle, black mr. quote cop.

    What the hell are you talking about?

    Bill "truly baffled" S.

  7. S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    > David Reuteler wrote:
    >> S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>> You snipped it.
    >>>
    >>> ...and why isn't this in rec.bicycles.rides?
    >>>
    >>> Is there a rule in here?

    >> pot, kettle, black mr. quote cop.

    > What the hell are you talking about?
    >
    > Bill "truly baffled" S.

    you're complaining that jobst is whinging about some "newsgroup infraction"
    that is every bit as valid or invalid as all the quote violations you
    complain about every day.

    "Is there a rule in here?" you appeal.

    it's all kinda ironic.

    technically he's right, however. and, yea, there's even a rule.

    http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/rbnewsgroups.html

    check under rec.bicycles.rides
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]

  8. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    David Reuteler wrote:
    > S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> David Reuteler wrote:

    >>> pot, kettle, black mr. quote cop.

    >> What the hell are you talking about?
    >>
    >> Bill "truly baffled" S.

    > you're complaining that jobst is whinging about some "newsgroup
    > infraction" that is every bit as valid or invalid as all the quote
    > violations you complain about every day.

    I think you're confusing me with someone else. I sometimes complain about
    MISQUOTING (actually misattribution) if I happen to catch it; and people who
    don't quote ANYTHING annoy me a bit; and people who leave 400 lines of crap
    just to add a one-line remark bother me; and yes, top-posting is idiotic,
    but QUOTE COP?!? Nah.

    > "Is there a rule in here?" you appeal.
    >
    > it's all kinda ironic.
    >
    > technically he's right, however. and, yea, there's even a rule.
    >
    > http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/rbnewsgroups.html
    >
    > check under rec.bicycles.rides

    So one person posts a story about his ride -- in a "miscellaneous" group --
    and that's a crime? And the person who flagellates him regularly posts
    political crap and links to his precious "Daily Misleader"?!?

    Sorry, I call that hypocrisy.

    Bill "so sue me" S.

  9. Claire Petersky wrote:

    > "Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> I say the antiphon for matins under my breath: "O Lord, open my lips/
    >> And let my mouth proclaim Thy praise".

    > Adonai s'fatai tiftach ufi yagid t'hilatecha -- it's also the opening to
    > the Amida.

    I knew it did come from the Hebrew originally, so I'm grateful to learn it
    now. I'd only known in in Latin, though.

    The ancients had a sense of rhythm when it came to addressing the Almighty
    that we can't even hope to match these days.

    > There's kind of a traveling song, "The River", by David Paskin, that uses
    > Adonai s'fatai tiftach as a part of the words -- I think it goes something
    > like:

    <snip excellent song>

    > This would make a nice meditative bicycling song.

    Yes, it definitely would.

    -Luigi

    --
    www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
    Photos, Rants, Raves

  10. S o r n i wrote:

    > So one person posts a story about his ride -- in a "miscellaneous" group

    [Begin Maoist self-criticism session]

    Sorry for not putting this in r.b.rides. Perhaps I buried a lot of the
    miscellaneous things I wanted to feed to the archive--Mostly, these were my
    impressions of the "proper" road bike as compared to my own tourer, an
    observation about the spoke-holes in the flanges of my rear hub, and an
    observation about speed in dark conditions.

    For the spiritually-inclined, there was the bit about my morning devotions,
    and the jokes the Almighty is apt to play from time to time.

    I was far too tired, obviously, to have made those points in the properly
    antiseptic manner. The alternative was posting three times, once for each
    observation I wanted to make, and then repeating most of the story in each
    post. This was tiresome to me, and would have brought even more
    castigation on me, as well, I thought.

    Therefore, since everything was tied into the ride anyway, I decided to talk
    about the ride. Again, it should have been in r.b.rides, probably. But
    posts of this sort do appear here in .misc from time to time. They are
    usually well-received, or at least, civilly tolerated; I took this to mean
    that my post would be okay.

    [end self-criticism]

    To haul this thread back on-topic:

    1)Do I have a case when I go to my shop and ask them to get me a new wheel
    on warrantee? I haven't messed with the hub flanges, ever, and I can now
    prove (I think) that it is the spoke hole that is cutting my spokes up.

    2)Have you noticed a significant drop in your speeds, even on familiar
    roads, when riding in the dark?

    -Luigi

    "Kay tamis ang atin samahan
    Sa lungkot at kaligayaan"

    --
    www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
    Photos, Rants, Raves

  11. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    :: S o r n i wrote:
    ::
    :::
[...]

    I disagree...while it was a ride report, this is a .misc group and your post
    had plenty of misc in there...

    :: [end self-criticism]
    ::
    :: To haul this thread back on-topic:
    ::
    ::
    :: 1)Do I have a case when I go to my shop and ask them to get me a new
    :: wheel on warrantee? I haven't messed with the hub flanges, ever,
    :: and I can now prove (I think) that it is the spoke hole that is
    :: cutting my spokes up.

    I doubt it -- since the warranty is up.

    ::
    ::
    :: 2)Have you noticed a significant drop in your speeds, even on
    :: familiar roads, when riding in the dark?

    If you can't see well, you'd better slow down. I would if I were driving my
    car in the dark and felt visability was limited. It's the smart thing to
    do. Don't ever feel bad about riding and a speed you feel comfortable at.

  12. "Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Claire Petersky wrote:
    > >
    > > "Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > >> I say the antiphon for matins under my breath: "O Lord, open my lips/
    > >> And let my mouth proclaim Thy praise".

    > > Adonai s'fatai tiftach ufi yagid t'hilatecha -- it's also the opening to
    > > the Amida.

    > I knew it did come from the Hebrew originally, so I'm grateful to learn it
    > now. I'd only known in in Latin, though.
    >
    > The ancients had a sense of rhythm when it came to addressing the Almighty
    > that we can't even hope to match these days.

    There's a great version of it here: http://www.rimon.com/Favorites.html that
    I highly recommend. The hardest part of singing it is working the
    consonants -- "s'fatai tiftach" is hard to roll off the tongue.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:

  13. mgagnonlv

    mgagnonlv New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2003

    On flat terrain:
    If the pavement is dry, no drop in speed, unless the road is especially dark and twisty. Slight drop in speed if it is wet.
    When the road is really twisty, I have to slow down significantly, because my headlights (Lumotecs) are tightly focussed on the road in front of me. I could add a helmet-mounted headlight, but I so rarely ride winding roads or trails at night...

    On hilly terrain, average speed drops a lot because I don't ride at more than 25-30 km/h if the road is dark.

  14. Bill Sorni writes:

    >> So where's the ride report?

    > You snipped it.

    I think you'll find that I snipped nothing of the kind, the entire
    posting by Luigi contained no ride report, unless you find his bicycle
    prep and doings fill your interest in where the ride went and what was
    seen and experienced.

    >> ...and why isn't this in rec.bicycles.rides?

    > Is there a rule in here?

    No, but I expect to find ride reports in the 'rides' newsgroup and
    didn't find it. That's where I look for narratives on scenic and
    interesting bicycle adventures.

    > Bill "why aren't your political distortions in rec.misleadingarrogance?" S.

    I see, you are suffering from political irritations. However, those
    can be found under a different and obvious heading referring to
    Mr. Bush.

    Next question...

    Jobst Brandt
    [email protected]

  15. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Bill Sorni writes:
    >
    >>> So where's the ride report?

    >> You snipped it.

    > I think you'll find that I snipped nothing of the kind, the entire
    > posting by Luigi contained no ride report, unless you find his bicycle
    > prep and doings fill your interest in where the ride went and what was
    > seen and experienced.

    Funny, I recall SOMETHING about a ride (and equipment and pace and...).

    >>> ...and why isn't this in rec.bicycles.rides?

    >> Is there a rule in here?

    > No, but I expect to find ride reports in the 'rides' newsgroup and
    > didn't find it. That's where I look for narratives on scenic and
    > interesting bicycle adventures.

    But...but...you post pics and stories of YOUR adventures in here all the
    time! Double standard?!?

    >> Bill "why aren't your political distortions in
    >> rec.misleadingarrogance?" S.

    > I see, you are suffering from political irritations.

    Irrelevant. I'd say the same thing if your OFF-TOPIC postings were
    conservative. (If you'd notice, by the way, people like Mark Hickey rarely
    if ever START such threads; they merely respond to things you "political
    irritants" insist on inflicting upon the newsgroup.)

    Like I said, I'm merely pointing out /your/ hypocrisy in whining about a
    ride report in this forum.

    > Next question...

    When are you going to fix your user name? :)

    Bill "sniff, sniff" S.

  16. S o r n i wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote:

    >>> You snipped it.

    >> I think you'll find that I snipped nothing of the kind, the entire
    >> posting by Luigi contained no ride report, unless you find his bicycle
    >> prep and doings fill your interest in where the ride went and what was
    >> seen and experienced.

    > Funny, I recall SOMETHING about a ride (and equipment and pace and...).

    Maybe I should have put FIRST TIME ON A MODERN ROAD BIKE AND BOY WAS IT FUN
    as the header?

    >>> Is there a rule in here?

    >> No, but I expect to find ride reports in the 'rides' newsgroup and
    >> didn't find it. That's where I look for narratives on scenic and
    >> interesting bicycle adventures.

    > But...but...you post pics and stories of YOUR adventures in here all the
    > time! Double standard?!?

    He's been around since before I threw a leg over a top tube,so his off-topic
    posts are grandfathered in, as it were. Sh*t rolls downhill.

    -Luigi

    --
    www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
    Photos, Rants, Raves

  17. Ken Case

    Ken Case Guest

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:43:17 -0400, Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Maybe I should have put FIRST TIME ON A MODERN ROAD BIKE AND BOY WAS IT FUN
    >as the header?

    I thought it was interesting, and didn't find it was misrepresented by the
    header.

    There's more to a ride than: I saw this, then I saw that ...

    KV

  18. Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
    > 2)Have you noticed a significant drop in your speeds, even on familiar
    > roads, when riding in the dark?

    That would obviously depend on the road. Ain't no way I would do 50kph
    on most of our wonderful potholed Quebec roads -- sometimes I don't even
    dare to go faster than 20kph. However, if I know the road and the
    pavement is in good shape, then I can ride almost as fast as in
    daylight, minus the drag of the dynamo.

    Still, slow or fast, I find night riding to be incredibly enjoyable.

    --
    Frederic Briere <*> [email protected]

    => <[email protected]> IS NO MORE: <http://www.abacomsucks.com> <=