Ride report:(warning: Long) predawn darkness, the vagaries of Divine Providence, and remounts

Luigi de Guzman

Guest
Have been off the bike for too long.

I call my buddy Peter up last night. "You and your brother-in-law
still do your morning rides?"

"Yeah, thirty miles."

"Where do you start?"

He tells me the start point, about fifteen miles away from my house.
"I'll meet you there at seven thirty tomorrow. I'll be riding in."

My alarm goes off today at four o'clock. Wake up, wash my face, eat a
bowl of cereal. It's still dark outside. Get my stuff ready. Catch
flak from mom & dad--they dont' like the idea of my riding off before
dawn. Not safe.

It's five o'clock when I set out. Still dark. My lights are on. I
move slowly--around nine miles an hour, on average, in the dark.
Safety first: even with lights, it's hard to see road hazards in the
dark.

I make good time. Dawn breaks. The sun is now up, and I'm cranking
a steady fifteen miles an hour on a striaght stretch. Out of nowhere,
I say the antiphon for matins under my breath: "O Lord, open my lips/
And let my mouth proclaim Thy praise". I pray the rosary as I go,
tapping decades out on my fingers.

God in Heaven is a good friend, and like many good friends, He is not
beyond a joke. I finish a decade on a doxology: "Glory...." and
just as I finish, I roll to a stop sign. My toe catches on my front
fender, folds it under the wheel, and I go down. I start laughing.

I pull the offending fender off and go the remaining distance to the
meeting point--Peter's brother-in-law's house. Just as I'm around the
corner from the house, POW. A spoke breaks.

Now I know I'm a fat *******, but this is ridiculous. These are
thirty-six spoke wheels, recently trued. I examine the hub flange,
and see that the spoke hole has keyholed somewhat--I suspect this
deformation of the spoke hole has been sawing spokes off right at the
spokehead, causing the breakages. Time to haul that back to the
shop...I'm going to want a new wheel on warrantee (even though the
bike is now 2 years old), because the hub seems to have been defective
from the word go, and I've broken more than a few spokes at that same
place.

Peter's brother-in-law, luckily, had a Cannondale R500 which he
doesn't ride much, which fits me just fine, so he lends that to me.
It fits well enough that I don't have to adjust a thing. We mount up
and go.

There were a few adjustments that I had to make, mentally. First was
the brakes: My Jamis Aurora's cantilevers are very very powerful.
The Cannondale's brakes are dual-pivots sidepulls; strong enough, but
they felt different. I had to make a panic stop (misjudge a left turn
and nearly become a Ford Explorer hood ornament) and lock up the rear
wheel--it fishtails. Let me never ever do that again.

This was my first time on a modern, close-clearance road bike. I have
to say it was a blast--for twenty-five miles of their thirty-mile
loop, I was constantly itching to go out in front. Peter would attack
me, just as a joke, and I'd counterattack with surprising (to me)
combativeness. On one stretch, I cranked it and opened up two
minutes' gap on my companions. The bicycle demanded to be ridden hard
and fast--not like my Jamis, which reassures me and calms me to ride
at a steady pace. Maybe someday I'll have a real modern road-racer.
I'll have to think about it.

My absence from the bike really showed up in the last five miles
home--towards the end I was barely hanging on to Peter's wheel. The
legs that I had earlier that morning were gone. It was frustrating,
because I remember when i used to be able to ride faster, harder,
farther. I was consoled, somewhat by the fact that I had tacked on
sixteen extra miles (riding to the meeting point, instead of driving),
and was riding a borrowed bike.

So overall, I was pleased that I could still ride reasonably fast (for
a man of my weight & fitness). But annoyed at the broken spoke on my
own bike.

"Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I say the antiphon for matins under my breath: "O Lord, open my lips/
> And let my mouth proclaim Thy praise".

Adonai s'fatai tiftach ufi yagid t'hilatecha -- it's also the opening to the
Amida.

There's kind of a traveling song, "The River", by David Paskin, that uses
Adonai s'fatai tiftach as a part of the words -- I think it goes something
like:

And the words they are my vessel
And the thoughts they are the waves
And I journey along the river with my heart leading the way
And there are times the waves are angry
There are times they're calm and slow
And all along the river there is one thing that I know
That I have miles and miles to go.

Adonai s'fatai tiftach u'fi yagid t'hilatecha
Eternal God, open up my lips that my mouth may declare your glory

This would make a nice meditative bicycling song.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

> So where's the ride report?

You snipped it.

...and why isn't this in rec.bicycles.rides?

Is there a rule in here?

Bill "why aren't your political distortions in rec.misleadingarrogance?" S.

David Reuteler wrote:
> S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>> So where's the ride report?

>> You snipped it.
>>
>> ...and why isn't this in rec.bicycles.rides?
>>
>> Is there a rule in here?

> pot, kettle, black mr. quote cop.

What the hell are you talking about?

Bill "truly baffled" S.

S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
> David Reuteler wrote:
>> S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> You snipped it.
>>>
>>> ...and why isn't this in rec.bicycles.rides?
>>>
>>> Is there a rule in here?

>> pot, kettle, black mr. quote cop.

> What the hell are you talking about?
>
> Bill "truly baffled" S.

you're complaining that jobst is whinging about some "newsgroup infraction"
that is every bit as valid or invalid as all the quote violations you
complain about every day.

"Is there a rule in here?" you appeal.

it's all kinda ironic.

technically he's right, however. and, yea, there's even a rule.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/rbnewsgroups.html

check under rec.bicycles.rides
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

David Reuteler wrote:
> S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
>> David Reuteler wrote:

>>> pot, kettle, black mr. quote cop.

>> What the hell are you talking about?
>>
>> Bill "truly baffled" S.

> you're complaining that jobst is whinging about some "newsgroup
> infraction" that is every bit as valid or invalid as all the quote
> violations you complain about every day.

I think you're confusing me with someone else. I sometimes complain about
MISQUOTING (actually misattribution) if I happen to catch it; and people who
don't quote ANYTHING annoy me a bit; and people who leave 400 lines of ****
just to add a one-line remark bother me; and yes, top-posting is idiotic,
but QUOTE COP?!? Nah.

> "Is there a rule in here?" you appeal.
>
> it's all kinda ironic.
>
> technically he's right, however. and, yea, there's even a rule.
>
> http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/rbnewsgroups.html
>
> check under rec.bicycles.rides

So one person posts a story about his ride -- in a "miscellaneous" group --
and that's a crime? And the person who flagellates him regularly posts
political **** and links to his precious "Daily Misleader"?!?

Sorry, I call that hypocrisy.

Bill "so sue me" S.

Claire Petersky wrote:

> "Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> I say the antiphon for matins under my breath: "O Lord, open my lips/
>> And let my mouth proclaim Thy praise".

> Adonai s'fatai tiftach ufi yagid t'hilatecha -- it's also the opening to
> the Amida.

I knew it did come from the Hebrew originally, so I'm grateful to learn it
now. I'd only known in in Latin, though.

The ancients had a sense of rhythm when it came to addressing the Almighty
that we can't even hope to match these days.

> There's kind of a traveling song, "The River", by David Paskin, that uses
> Adonai s'fatai tiftach as a part of the words -- I think it goes something
> like:

<snip excellent song>

> This would make a nice meditative bicycling song.

Yes, it definitely would.

-Luigi

--
www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
Photos, Rants, Raves

S o r n i wrote:

> So one person posts a story about his ride -- in a "miscellaneous" group

[Begin Maoist self-criticism session]

Sorry for not putting this in r.b.rides. Perhaps I buried a lot of the
miscellaneous things I wanted to feed to the archive--Mostly, these were my
impressions of the "proper" road bike as compared to my own tourer, an
observation about the spoke-holes in the flanges of my rear hub, and an
observation about speed in dark conditions.

For the spiritually-inclined, there was the bit about my morning devotions,
and the jokes the Almighty is apt to play from time to time.

I was far too tired, obviously, to have made those points in the properly
antiseptic manner. The alternative was posting three times, once for each
observation I wanted to make, and then repeating most of the story in each
post. This was tiresome to me, and would have brought even more
castigation on me, as well, I thought.

Therefore, since everything was tied into the ride anyway, I decided to talk
about the ride. Again, it should have been in r.b.rides, probably. But
posts of this sort do appear here in .misc from time to time. They are
usually well-received, or at least, civilly tolerated; I took this to mean
that my post would be okay.

[end self-criticism]

To haul this thread back on-topic:

1)Do I have a case when I go to my shop and ask them to get me a new wheel
on warrantee? I haven't messed with the hub flanges, ever, and I can now
prove (I think) that it is the spoke hole that is cutting my spokes up.

2)Have you noticed a significant drop in your speeds, even on familiar
roads, when riding in the dark?

-Luigi

"Kay tamis ang atin samahan
Sa lungkot at kaligayaan"

--
www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
Photos, Rants, Raves

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
:: S o r n i wrote:
::
:::
[...]

I disagree...while it was a ride report, this is a .misc group and your post
had plenty of misc in there...

:: [end self-criticism]
::
:: To haul this thread back on-topic:
::
::
:: 1)Do I have a case when I go to my shop and ask them to get me a new
:: wheel on warrantee? I haven't messed with the hub flanges, ever,
:: and I can now prove (I think) that it is the spoke hole that is
:: cutting my spokes up.

I doubt it -- since the warranty is up.

::
::
:: 2)Have you noticed a significant drop in your speeds, even on
:: familiar roads, when riding in the dark?

If you can't see well, you'd better slow down. I would if I were driving my
car in the dark and felt visability was limited. It's the smart thing to
do. Don't ever feel bad about riding and a speed you feel comfortable at.

> Claire Petersky wrote:
> >
> > "Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >> I say the antiphon for matins under my breath: "O Lord, open my lips/
> >> And let my mouth proclaim Thy praise".

> > Adonai s'fatai tiftach ufi yagid t'hilatecha -- it's also the opening to
> > the Amida.

> I knew it did come from the Hebrew originally, so I'm grateful to learn it
> now. I'd only known in in Latin, though.
>
> The ancients had a sense of rhythm when it came to addressing the Almighty
> that we can't even hope to match these days.

There's a great version of it here: http://www.rimon.com/Favorites.html that
I highly recommend. The hardest part of singing it is working the
consonants -- "s'fatai tiftach" is hard to roll off the tongue.

--

Luigi de Guzman said:
To haul this thread back on-topic:

2)Have you noticed a significant drop in your speeds, even on familiar
roads, when riding in the dark?

On flat terrain:
If the pavement is dry, no drop in speed, unless the road is especially dark and twisty. Slight drop in speed if it is wet.
When the road is really twisty, I have to slow down significantly, because my headlights (Lumotecs) are tightly focussed on the road in front of me. I could add a helmet-mounted headlight, but I so rarely ride winding roads or trails at night...

On hilly terrain, average speed drops a lot because I don't ride at more than 25-30 km/h if the road is dark.

Bill Sorni writes:

>> So where's the ride report?

> You snipped it.

I think you'll find that I snipped nothing of the kind, the entire
posting by Luigi contained no ride report, unless you find his bicycle
prep and doings fill your interest in where the ride went and what was
seen and experienced.

>> ...and why isn't this in rec.bicycles.rides?

> Is there a rule in here?

No, but I expect to find ride reports in the 'rides' newsgroup and
didn't find it. That's where I look for narratives on scenic and
interesting bicycle adventures.

> Bill "why aren't your political distortions in rec.misleadingarrogance?" S.

I see, you are suffering from political irritations. However, those
can be found under a different and obvious heading referring to
Mr. Bush.

Next question...

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

[email protected] wrote:
> Bill Sorni writes:
>
>>> So where's the ride report?

>> You snipped it.

> I think you'll find that I snipped nothing of the kind, the entire
> posting by Luigi contained no ride report, unless you find his bicycle
> prep and doings fill your interest in where the ride went and what was
> seen and experienced.

Funny, I recall SOMETHING about a ride (and equipment and pace and...).

>>> ...and why isn't this in rec.bicycles.rides?

>> Is there a rule in here?

> No, but I expect to find ride reports in the 'rides' newsgroup and
> didn't find it. That's where I look for narratives on scenic and
> interesting bicycle adventures.

But...but...you post pics and stories of YOUR adventures in here all the
time! Double standard?!?

>> Bill "why aren't your political distortions in
>> rec.misleadingarrogance?" S.

> I see, you are suffering from political irritations.

Irrelevant. I'd say the same thing if your OFF-TOPIC postings were
conservative. (If you'd notice, by the way, people like Mark Hickey rarely
if ever START such threads; they merely respond to things you "political
irritants" insist on inflicting upon the newsgroup.)

Like I said, I'm merely pointing out /your/ hypocrisy in whining about a
ride report in this forum.

> Next question...

When are you going to fix your user name? :)

Bill "sniff, sniff" S.

S o r n i wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:

>>> You snipped it.

>> I think you'll find that I snipped nothing of the kind, the entire
>> posting by Luigi contained no ride report, unless you find his bicycle
>> prep and doings fill your interest in where the ride went and what was
>> seen and experienced.

> Funny, I recall SOMETHING about a ride (and equipment and pace and...).

Maybe I should have put FIRST TIME ON A MODERN ROAD BIKE AND BOY WAS IT FUN
as the header?

>>> Is there a rule in here?

>> No, but I expect to find ride reports in the 'rides' newsgroup and
>> didn't find it. That's where I look for narratives on scenic and
>> interesting bicycle adventures.

> But...but...you post pics and stories of YOUR adventures in here all the
> time! Double standard?!?

He's been around since before I threw a leg over a top tube,so his off-topic
posts are grandfathered in, as it were. Sh*t rolls downhill.

-Luigi

--

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:43:17 -0400, Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:

>Maybe I should have put FIRST TIME ON A MODERN ROAD BIKE AND BOY WAS IT FUN
>as the header?

I thought it was interesting, and didn't find it was misrepresented by the
header.

There's more to a ride than: I saw this, then I saw that ...

KV

Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
> 2)Have you noticed a significant drop in your speeds, even on familiar
> roads, when riding in the dark?

That would obviously depend on the road. Ain't no way I would do 50kph
on most of our wonderful potholed Quebec roads -- sometimes I don't even
dare to go faster than 20kph. However, if I know the road and the
pavement is in good shape, then I can ride almost as fast as in
daylight, minus the drag of the dynamo.

Still, slow or fast, I find night riding to be incredibly enjoyable.

--
Frederic Briere <*> [email protected]

=> <[email protected]> IS NO MORE: <http://www.abacomsucks.com> <=