"Ride report"

My partner and I have separate houses, I commute to her at the
weekends, usually by bike, around 16 miles. My normal Monday is 16
miles home in the morning, then I work in the afternoon/evening, 24
mile round trip cycle commute, making 40 miles for the day.

My partner's house is at 150 feet, route home climbs to nearly 1000
feet, then 8 miles across the hilltops down to my house at 600 feet.
Yesterday as soon as I got past the 1,000 foot mark, there was a
headwind all the way.

Got home, realised I'd left my keys behind. After evaluating options,
decided I had to cycle back and get them (they have a memory stick
with them which is essential for work). Spare car key at partner's
house, so no point in breaking in to get it. Get mobile phone out to
call partner to check spare key for her house in usual place, battery
dead. Eventually find phone box that's still there (they've mostly
gone from rural areas). Can't get through to partner because she
hasn't logged in to her phone. 16 mile ride to her house, spare key
not there, so 3 mile round trip to where she works, get her key, back
to her house, retrieve my keys, eat large chunk of stollen.

Set off home, climb up to 1000', feels a bit tougher this time,
headwind still there, feels a bit stronger, some rain (no jacket, in
panniers left at home earlier), but get home OK, time for a rest
before setting off to work.

Headwind on way to work, no problem, I've had a rest, I have a descent
from 600' to 50' this time, and will have the wind behind on the way
home.

Average 13.5mph for this trip, quite pleased. Come out of work to find
wind has changed direction, so I have a headwind going home, feels
like hard work. Stop at pub halfway for refreshment, just before big
climb.

Come out of pub to discovers it's raining. Hard. Start up hill,
slightly surprised to see another cyclist (it's around 10.30). Do a
decent turn of speed, stay ahead until (s)he turns off. Notice road
feels rather bumpy, investigate, slow puncture in back tyre. Have
spare tube, but am now in dark, rain and wind swept suburbia. Choice
between (a) descending 200' back to town where there's plenty of well
lit sheltered places to fix it; (b) fixing it under a lamppost in the
wind and rain; (c) pumping it up and hoping for the best. Fear I will
fail to find cause of puncture with (b), can't face the re-ascent for
(a), so opt for (c). Get up the hill, then 4 miles across the hill
tops into headwind and heavy rain. 7 or 8 stops to pump up tyre, get
home at midnight, straight to bed.

Total mileage for day: 76 miles
Total ascent: 2,900 feet just based on starting heights and highest
points for each segment, considerably more with undulations.

I don't record rides, but I know I've done numerous 40 and 50 mile
days, a few 60s, and I think this was my fifth 70+ miles. No specific
aches and pains, but felt pretty tired yesterday. Poor eating/drinking
probably partly to blame as I wasn't equipped for such an epic.

Notes to self

(1) get head torch to keep in pannier, I do a fair amount of night
riding in unlit areas, holding a Cateye in mouth just to find valve to
put pump on is not easy (thanks to David Damerell for suggesting
that).

(2) when removing pannier, remember to put pump in bar bag. I had no
pump when returning to my partner's house, if the puncture had
happened then I would have been stuffed a long way from anywhere.

(3) Rear tyre has been on about 2.5 years and several thousand miles,
only one puncture in that time then two in two weeks. Inspection in
daylight shows it's looking the worse for wear, time to replace it
before another puncture.

(4) Must get round to doing an Audax this year. Those little 100k ones
must be easy.

(5) I really ought to get a new bike, my old hybrid is adequate, but I
feel entitled to something better. Just can't decide what, but that's
another topic.

Leandr43 writtificated

> Come out of pub to discovers it's raining. Hard.

were about to get on the outside ;)

Yesterday when I got caught without a coat I just went back into the shop
to buy one. Worked perfectly - Sods Law brought the sun out as soon as I
paid.

[email protected] wrote:
> [...]
> riding in unlit areas, holding a Cateye in mouth just to find valve to
> put pump on is not easy (thanks to David Damerell for suggesting
> that).
>
> (2) when removing pannier, remember to put pump in bar bag. I had no
> pump when returning to my partner's house, if the puncture had
> happened then I would have been stuffed a long way from anywhere.
>
> (3) Rear tyre has been on about 2.5 years and several thousand miles,
> only one puncture in that time then two in two weeks. Inspection in
> daylight shows it's looking the worse for wear, time to replace it
> before another puncture.
>
> (4) Must get round to doing an Audax this year. Those little 100k ones
> must be easy.
>
> (5) I really ought to get a new bike, my old hybrid is adequate, but I
> feel entitled to something better. Just can't decide what, but that's

Congratulations on your epic ride! And thanks for pointing out the
essential nature of a head torch. Only spotted one for sale in Tesco
yesterday and dismissed the idea of buying it. You have change my mind!

Be careful on here mentioning that you called in a pub though. The
alco-fascists will find out that you once passed out when you were 18 or
something and will hound you as an alcoholic who should not go near a
saddle. ;-)

Brian.

Brian Robertson wrote:

> Be careful on here mentioning that you called in a pub though.

Why?

> alco-fascists will find out that you once passed out when you were 18 or
> something and will hound you as an alcoholic who should not go near a
> saddle. ;-)

Errrr, who would they be then? Not come across them myself when I've
reported having a beer punctuate a ride, or that I regularly ride to the
pub and back...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

> Brian Robertson wrote:
>
>> Be careful on here mentioning that you called in a pub though.

> Why?
>
>> alco-fascists will find out that you once passed out when you were 18 or
>> something and will hound you as an alcoholic who should not go near a
>> saddle. ;-)

> Errrr, who would they be then? Not come across them myself when I've
> reported having a beer punctuate a ride, or that I regularly ride to the
> pub and back...

He's currently having grief elsewhere for his alcohol-related problems
(including job loss IIRC).

cheers,
clive

Clive George wrote:
> "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Brian Robertson wrote:
>>
>>> Be careful on here mentioning that you called in a pub though.

>> Why?
>>
>>> alco-fascists will find out that you once passed out when you were 18 or
>>> something and will hound you as an alcoholic who should not go near a
>>> saddle. ;-)

>> Errrr, who would they be then? Not come across them myself when I've
>> reported having a beer punctuate a ride, or that I regularly ride to the
>> pub and back...

> He's currently having grief elsewhere for his alcohol-related problems
> (including job loss IIRC).
>
> cheers,
> clive

Past problems, thank you! I went through a bit of a bad patch years ago
due to a bad divorce and a brick through the cab window of my train that
hit me. Got no help from the railways after the brick incident and I
went on a bit of a self destruct path ending in near nervous break down.
Years later and driving buses, it still scares me to death having kids
throw things at the bus. They can have me diving for cover with a conker!

I call off at the pub sometimes for a couple of sherberts on the way
home. Some people think my past problems should bar me from entering a
pub, having an opinion or driving anything more ambitious than a pedal
car. lol

Brian.

On 06/02/2008 16:17, Brian Robertson wrote:
> Congratulations on your epic ride! And thanks for pointing out the
> essential nature of a head torch.

I've kept one in a pannier for the last 2 or 3 years precisely so that I
can use it for fixing punctures after dark. Works like a charm - in all
that time I've only once had to fix a puncture after dark.

> Be careful on here mentioning that you called in a pub though. The
> alco-fascists will find out that you once passed out when you were 18 or
> something and will hound you as an alcoholic who should not go near a
> saddle. ;-)

In urc? Seems rather unlikely.

--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My partner and I have separate houses, I commute to her at the

> (3) Rear tyre has been on about 2.5 years and several thousand miles,
> only one puncture in that time then two in two weeks. Inspection in
> daylight shows it's looking the worse for wear, time to replace it
> before another puncture.

Nice report.
I have a policy of replacing my road bike tyres yearly whatever their
state. 14 months with no puncture now on Bonty Hard Case and they sure take
a hammering.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

On Feb 6, 10:56 am, [email protected] wrote:
> (3) Rear tyre has been on about 2.5 years and several thousand miles,
> only one puncture in that time then two in two weeks. Inspection in
> daylight shows it's looking the worse for wear, time to replace it
> before another puncture.

PF has it in for me. I thought I could wait to the weekend for a new
tyre, but third puncture this morning. Schwalbe Marathon fitted this
afternoon.

Rob

On Feb 6, 10:56 am, [email protected] wrote:
> (3) Rear tyre has been on about 2.5 years and several thousand miles,
> only one puncture in that time then two in two weeks. Inspection in
> daylight shows it's looking the worse for wear, time to replace it
> before another puncture.

PF has it in for me. I thought I could wait to the weekend for a new
tyre, but third puncture this morning. Schwalbe Marathon fitted this
afternoon.

Rob

Not just you. I punctured last Sunday on a club ride and punctured again on
Thursday evening in the middle of the North Downs. The latter one was a rear
wheel puncture on the Birdy which takes twice as long to fix because of the
hub gears. I am awaiting a couple of Marathon Pluses for it.

Adam