Ride Reports

Arthur Clune

Guest
More and more people are posting ride reports on here after a long period
when we had none.

KEEP DOING IT FOLKS!

I may not reply to every one, but I do read them, enjoy them and then
think "ah, must get out there again".

So thanks to all that take the time and effort to write their trips up.

The struggle of people against power is the struggle
of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> writes:

> More and more people are posting ride reports on here after a long period
> when we had none.
>
> KEEP DOING IT FOLKS!
>
> I may not reply to every one, but I do read them, enjoy them and then
> think "ah, must get out there again".
>
> So thanks to all that take the time and effort to write their trips up.

Seconded. If anything's likely to make me want to beat my personal best,
it's the trip reports here.

"Once Allende comes to power we shall do all within our power
to condemn Chile and all Chileans to utmost deprivation and poverty."
-- Edward Korry

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> More and more people are posting ride reports on here after a long period
> when we had none.
>
> KEEP DOING IT FOLKS!
>
> I may not reply to every one, but I do read them, enjoy them and then
> think "ah, must get out there again".
>
> So thanks to all that take the time and effort to write their trips up.
>

> --
> Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt
> The struggle of people against power is the struggle
> of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

I agree, I love reading them and find them very motivating. It's a pity so
few of us reply to them though, it's the much needed positive feedback that
encourages more ride reports IMO.

Thumbs up for ride reports

This is the season for exceeding at personal bests and enjoying the
summer evenings and nights. (+Full moon at the moment. - A bit low but
what can you expect from a free service.)

Club cyclists tend to pick up lots of knowledge such as good places to
stop, but many u.r.cers don't have that grapevine. Hence the usefulness
of chatting about rides.

Suggestion for ride report writers:
If your ride is marred by some slight defect that perhaps somebody else
might have found the answer to. eg "Very scenic but no decent real ale
:(" or "Anyone know if short-cut X is feasible?" then you may be
surprised by useful local knowledge from u.r.c. There are plenty of
people here who may be able to say things like "when I go from A to B
I've taken to using the variant route C to save my knees(etc)" or "do
you know about attraction X".

If you discover something on your ride then it's more than likely that
many others are currently ignorant and would like to know. For example
have these Yorkshire floods closed a lot of roads involving many miles
of hilly detours? Even if the answer is 'no' then that's useful
information for visitors this summer.

Data is good. "Brilliant PB Average 14.2 mph from A-B" The sporty types
will enjoy a smug grin and the rest will know it's possible and be
encouraged to beat their own records.

Cyclists like to hear about personal endeavour. "Not too bad for first
ride after my operation" or "Three punctures and a rainstorm later..."
Also the ways of solving problems "fortunately my trusty X saved the
day".

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the e-commerce business came to a .
[email protected]

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> More and more people are posting ride reports on here after a long period
> when we had none.

Here's my short and sweet one:

As usual yesterday I was awakened by the dawn chorus but unusually with a
hungry tum as well so no turning over.
So at 05:15 I was on me bike round the country lanes, cool fresh air and
long shadows with an almost total absence of motor traffic, bliss!
20 Miles then home to breakfast and shower then to work where a few folk
commented on my unusually cheerful demeanour for a Tuesday :)

I look forward to more of the same.
--
Pete
http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/P

Arthur Clune wrote:

> More and more people are posting ride reports on here after a long period
> when we had none.
>
> KEEP DOING IT FOLKS!

Wait for my Dunwich Dynamo epic...

LSMike wrote:
> I agree, I love reading them and find them very motivating. It's a pity so
> few of us reply to them though, it's the much needed positive feedback that
> encourages more ride reports IMO.

I actually write ride reports entirely for my own benefit. With some
rides it's great to be able to refresh my memories a few years later.
But if I've bothered to write a report then it seems to make sense to
post it.

The thought that somebody else might enjoy reading the report encourages
me to actually get round to writing it, so thanks to everyone who reads
them.

BTW, my latest effort now has pictures:
<http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/colyer_pictures/ridereports/bbbr05/>

It's hardly an epic ride, and I've certainly written more interesting
reports in the past, but this is a good one to keep memories of because
it's the longest ride we've done so far with the kids.

I wrote:
> BTW, my latest effort now has pictures:
> <http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/colyer_pictures/ridereports/bbbr05/>

Eeugh, nasty advertising put in by my ISP. Try this instead:
<URL:http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/colyer_pictures/ridereports/bbbr05/index.html>

>Seconded. If anything's likely to make me want to beat my personal best,
>it's the trip reports here.

What interests me about these long rides is this: do people ever get
bored, frustrated, lonely over such a distance, particularly if
they're on their own?

Not looking to sound negative in the face of such accomplishments, but
these kind of distances don't seem to have an appeal for me, and I'm
kind of curious what's going on to impel somebody to cycle 200+ miles
in one sitting. The longest I've ever done is about 120, which I'd say
is the farthest I'd even want to do in a day, and even during these
rides there have always been periods of boredom, disinterest of the
like, that has threatened to destroy ones enjoyment of it all
completely. But there again, there is always a sense of fulfilment and
achievement when these kind of distances are accomplished, when the
pain recedes into the background and one is left with what the numbers
display on your cycle computer, so I guess it's no different for a
longer ride, just different distances. But I'm curious, do you really
enjoy it all?

Anyway, no big deal, each to his/her own.

Garry

garryb59 <[email protected]> wrote:

: What interests me about these long rides is this: do people ever get
: bored, frustrated, lonely over such a distance, particularly if
: they're on their own?

Personally, I stick to 200km or less (120 miles). The longest I'd normally
do on my own would be about 80 miles/5 hours. I'm a socialbe chap really
and I much prefer doing the longer rides in company. The miles pass much
quicker when you're talking.

The only exception to this is when I'm somewhere I've never been before
with stunning scenery. Then I'm happy to ride on my own and just look
around. Even then, I'd keep it under the 200km mark.

I do see the appeal of doing long rides on your own though. If you can
get into the right state of mind, it would be like meditation.

Each to their own.

Arthur

garryb59 wrote:

> What interests me about these long rides is this: do people ever get
> bored, frustrated, lonely over such a distance, particularly if
> they're on their own?

Personally, no. The worst thing is when one gets a particular tune stuck in
one's head for hours at a stretch. I though I had it bad when I got
"Televators" by The Mars Volta for the entire two-hour race[1] at Castle
Combe last year, but that paled into insignificance alongside the chorus of
"The Macc Lads' Party" for about 2/3 of the Plains 400...

> But I'm curious, do you really enjoy it all?

There were a few occasions on the Rural South 300, notably sitting on top of
a windswept hill fixing a flat in the pissing rain, when I did wish that
someone had invented a portable Star Trek-stylee transporter so I could beam
myself and the Trice back to Beech Hill... But on the whole there seems to
be something curiously addictive about it, to the extent that even the bad
bits are good (at least /after/ one has finished).

1 - well, until I crashed on the last corner of the last lap, anyway :-(

My liver is evil, and must be punished.

in message <[email protected]>, garryb59
('[email protected]') wrote:

>>Seconded. If anything's likely to make me want to beat my personal
>>best, it's the trip reports here.

> What interests me about these long rides is this: do people ever get
> bored, frustrated, lonely over such a distance, particularly if
> they're on their own?

IMLE, not really. I can get into a sort of Zen state when grinding up a
very long climb or riding for a long time into a headwind where all I'm
really doing is turning the pedals and my mind is almost switched off.
Other than that, the places I ride are always sufficiently varied that
there's something new to see all the time. So bored, no. Frustrated,
no. Lonely, not really, at least not yet. Of course, bonking (running
completely out of energy) when you're on your own in some wild place
miles from the nearest mobile phone coverage, can be a very lonely and
frightening experience which I don't recommend to anyone.

> Not looking to sound negative in the face of such accomplishments, but
> these kind of distances don't seem to have an appeal for me, and I'm
> kind of curious what's going on to impel somebody to cycle 200+ miles
> in one sitting.

200+ miles happens to be my ambition for this year! The truth is I not
only enjoy the rides, I enjoy the feeling I have after the rides, the
sense of well-being and physical relaxation.

[ This .sig subject to change without notice ]

Arthur Clune wrote:

> I do see the appeal of doing long rides on your own though. If you can
> get into the right state of mind, it would be like meditation.

Or long walks. As well the "like meditation" aspect there are times
when I'm down and/or can't get something off my mind when a long sojourn
with little to do except get where I'm going is just the thing to get it
all back together. It's the exception rather than the rule (I prefer
riding with a pal or two as well), but I've used it to very good effect.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

: Or long walks. As well the "like meditation" aspect there are times

I find it far easier to get into a zen like zone when walking then when
cycling. Something to do with those cars (on-road) and the need to not
crash (off road)

Arhtur

The struggle of people against power is the struggle
of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

"garryb59" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>>Seconded. If anything's likely to make me want to beat my personal best,
>>it's the trip reports here.

> What interests me about these long rides is this: do people ever get
> bored, frustrated, lonely over such a distance, particularly if
> they're on their own?

I find it incredibly good for my self confidence and mental strength to
achieve something that a lot of people would find "impossible". I don't get
lonely as I enjoy the radio and music on my ride and I prefer my own company
anyway. It's just a fantastic high to set yourself challenging goal and
acheive it :)

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

On 23 Jun 2005 08:50:18 GMT, "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote:

>garryb59 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>: What interests me about these long rides is this: do people ever get
>: bored, frustrated, lonely over such a distance, particularly if
>: they're on their own?
>
>Personally, I stick to 200km or less (120 miles). The longest I'd normally
>do on my own would be about 80 miles/5 hours. I'm a socialbe chap really
>and I much prefer doing the longer rides in company. The miles pass much
>quicker when you're talking.

Yes, I can see this now. I went down to East Sussex last weekend and
did the 100k SouthDowns ride. It turned out great. I did it on my
recumbent and met another bent rider and also got to know another set
of blokes for half the ride, and this made the day. I don't think I'd
have been bothered to seek out a ride on my own down there.
Just depends how you're feeling I guess.

Garry

>The only exception to this is when I'm somewhere I've never been before
>with stunning scenery. Then I'm happy to ride on my own and just look
>around. Even then, I'd keep it under the 200km mark.
>
>I do see the appeal of doing long rides on your own though. If you can
>get into the right state of mind, it would be like meditation.
>
>Each to their own.
>
>Arthur

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> BTW, my latest effort now has pictures:
> <http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/colyer_pictures/ridereports/bbbr05/>

That's great Danny, thanks for sharing! I loved seeing another recumbent +
trailer. :) You must be one of the coolest Dads around. I had hoped to be
on CM with the wife and toddler, but we were too tired from a tough couple
of weeks, plus several thunderstorms came to town.

What make of trailer is that?

LSMike wrote:
>><http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/colyer_pictures/ridereports/bbbr05/>

> That's great Danny, thanks for sharing! I loved seeing another recumbent +
> trailer. :) You must be one of the coolest Dads around.

<G>
Jenny's at the stage now where she wants to ride, though. I have a
second-hand Islabikes trailerbike waiting for her (purchased following
an ad in this ng), unfortunately her legs aren't yet long enough.

I suspect that when Charlie's ready for a trailerbike he may be
dissatisfied with the wedgie version and insist on something like this:
<URL:http://www.hase-bikes.com/ens/trets/index.php>

> What make of trailer is that?

It's a Little Van. 70 quid from Lidl, and a real bargain.