ride to South america

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Asj, Jun 4, 2003.

  1. Asj

    Asj Guest

    I want to bike from toronto canada to Machu Picchu in Peru, climb it and then fly back to toronto. I
    think this will take between 4-6 months. Has anyone done anything like this. I am looking for a
    partner to go with me, and/or suggestions on how I should proceed to make a route. I know that there
    are no roads between southern Panama and Columbia so I will need to either fly or boat across that.
    Any suggestions?

    Tags:

  2. ASJ wrote:
    > I want to bike from toronto canada to Machu Picchu in Peru, climb it and then fly back to toronto.
    > I think this will take between 4-6 months. Has anyone done anything like this. I am looking for a
    > partner to go with me, and/or suggestions on how I should proceed to make a route. I know that
    > there are no roads between southern Panama and Columbia so I will need to either fly or boat
    > across that. Any suggestions?

    I think somebody has done that not sure where tho.

    I think you have a real challenge here. and its also very dangerous particularly with narco-rebel
    activity in colombia and bandits in certain other places.

    its almost like the Wild West down there

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (ASJ) wrote in news:dd4e0b72.0306041910.585262a1 @posting.google.com:
    > I want to bike from toronto canada to Machu Picchu in Peru, climb it and then fly back to toronto.
    > I think this will take between 4-6 months. Has anyone done anything like this. I am looking for a
    > partner to go with me, and/or suggestions on how I should proceed to make a route. I know that
    > there are no roads between southern Panama and Columbia so I will need to either fly or boat
    > across that. Any suggestions?

    I remember reading an article in *Bicycling Magazine* about someone making such a journey, I believe
    in the early 1980s. That was back when Bicycling Magazine was a decent read. The guy used a machete
    to cut a path for his bike through the Darian Gap. Many libraries keep old issues of magazines and
    may be able to track this one down for you.

    By the way, Outside Magazine from this month (or last month) has an article about hikers being
    kidnapped in the Darian Gap recently. That would be worth a read as well.

  4. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    Dilbert Firestorm wrote:

    > ASJ wrote:
    > > I want to bike from toronto canada to Machu Picchu in Peru, climb it and then fly back to
    > > toronto. I think this will take between 4-6 months. Has anyone done anything like this. I am
    > > looking for a partner to go with me, and/or suggestions on how I should proceed to make a route.
    > > I know that there are no roads between southern Panama and Columbia so I will need to either fly
    > > or boat across that. Any suggestions?
    >
    > I think somebody has done that not sure where tho.
    >
    > I think you have a real challenge here. and its also very dangerous particularly with narco-rebel
    > activity in colombia and bandits in certain other places.
    >
    > its almost like the Wild West down there

    Louisana?

  5. On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 05:03:49 +0000 (UTC), Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

    >By the way, Outside Magazine from this month (or last month) has an article about hikers being
    >kidnapped in the Darian Gap recently. That would be worth a read as well.

    Yeah. You might want to consider somewhere safer, like Chechnya, Bosnia, or Iraq.

    Jasper

  6. Daryl Lewis

    Daryl Lewis Guest

    Check out http://www.downtheroad.org they are traveling from the United States to Terra Del Fuego.

  7. [email protected] (ASJ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I want to bike from toronto canada to Machu Picchu in Peru, climb it and then fly back to toronto.
    > I think this will take between 4-6 months. Has anyone done anything like this. I am looking for a
    > partner to go with me, and/or suggestions on how I should proceed to make a route. I know that
    > there are no roads between southern Panama and Columbia so I will need to either fly or boat
    > across that. Any suggestions?

    Have you read this site http://go.to/bikemessenger ?

    Go to "back issues" then look back to about December 2000.

  8. Asj

    Asj Guest

    thanks I hadn't seen any of these sites!

    news:<[email protected]>...

  9. Bernie wrote:

    > Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
    >

    >>ASJ wrote:
    >>
    >>>I want to bike from toronto canada to Machu Picchu in Peru, climb it and then fly back to
    >>>toronto. I think this will take between 4-6 months. Has anyone done anything like this. I am
    >>>looking for a partner to go with me, and/or suggestions on how I should proceed to make a route.
    >>>I know that there are no roads between southern Panama and Columbia so I will need to either fly
    >>>or boat across that. Any suggestions?
    >>
    >>I think somebody has done that not sure where tho.
    >>
    >>I think you have a real challenge here. and its also very dangerous particularly with narco-rebel
    >>activity in colombia and bandits in certain other places.
    >>
    >>its almost like the Wild West down there
    >

    > Louisana?

    Um.. I'm trying to figure out what you meant by the louisiana comment....

  10. Eric Bazan

    Eric Bazan Guest

    [email protected] (ASJ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I want to bike from toronto canada to Machu Picchu in Peru, climb it and then fly back to toronto.
    > I think this will take between 4-6 months. Has anyone done anything like this. I am looking for a
    > partner to go with me, and/or suggestions on how I should proceed to make a route. I know that
    > there are no roads between southern Panama and Columbia so I will need to either fly or boat
    > across that. Any suggestions?

    Never done that, sounds interesting. Good luck, and don't get caught by those south american
    slave traders.

  11. Juan

    Juan Guest

    The safest way for you is to fly from Panama City to either Medellin or Cali and proceed from there,
    if you want to skip Colombia altogether then fly to Quito. Don´t try to cross the Darien Gap, there
    are no roads, nothing, it´s just a huge swamp. Colombian cities are safe in general, travel between
    cities during the day to feel safer.

    [email protected] (ASJ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I want to bike from toronto canada to Machu Picchu in Peru, climb it and then fly back to toronto.
    > I think this will take between 4-6 months. Has anyone done anything like this. I am looking for a
    > partner to go with me, and/or suggestions on how I should proceed to make a route. I know that
    > there are no roads between southern Panama and Columbia so I will need to either fly or boat
    > across that. Any suggestions?

  12. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    Dilbert Firestorm wrote:

    > Bernie wrote:
    > >
    > > Dilbert Firestorm wrote:

    > >>I think somebody has done that not sure where tho.
    > >>
    > >>I think you have a real challenge here. and its also very dangerous particularly with
    > >>narco-rebel activity in colombia and bandits in certain other places.
    > >>
    > >>its almost like the Wild West down there
    > >

    > > Louisana?
    > >

    > Um.. I'm trying to figure out what you meant by the louisiana comment....

    It's on his way and I've heard it's pretty wild in it's own right

  13. Bernie wrote:

    > Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
    >

    >>Bernie wrote:

    >>>Louisana?
    >>>

    >>Um.. I'm trying to figure out what you meant by the louisiana comment....
    >

    > It's on his way and I've heard it's pretty wild in it's own right

    oh!! its on its internary. cool. it does get wild. but I'm wasn't talking about that kind of wild.

    I was refering to the "wild wild west" of the late 1800's with regards to columbia.

  14. Asj

    Asj Guest

    [email protected] (Juan) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > The safest way for you is to fly from Panama City to either Medellin or Cali and proceed from
    > there, if you want to skip Colombia altogether then fly to Quito. Don´t try to cross the Darien
    > Gap, there are no roads, nothing, it´s just a huge swamp. Colombian cities are safe in general,
    > travel between cities during the day to feel safer.
    >
    > [email protected] (ASJ) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I want to bike from toronto canada to Machu Picchu in Peru, climb it and then fly back to
    > > toronto. I think this will take between 4-6 months. Has anyone done anything like this. I am
    > > looking for a partner to go with me, and/or suggestions on how I should proceed to make a route.
    > > I know that there are no roads between southern Panama and Columbia so I will need to either fly
    > > or boat across that. Any suggestions?

    Thanks a lot for the suggestions, Columbia frightens me the most only because of all the stories we
    hear up here. I'm sure it exagerated though?