ride to South america

Asj

Guest
I want to bike from toronto canada to Machu Picchu in Peru, climb it and then fly back to toronto. I
think this will take between 4-6 months. Has anyone done anything like this. I am looking for a
partner to go with me, and/or suggestions on how I should proceed to make a route. I know that there
are no roads between southern Panama and Columbia so I will need to either fly or boat across that.
Any suggestions?

ASJ wrote:
> I want to bike from toronto canada to Machu Picchu in Peru, climb it and then fly back to toronto.
> I think this will take between 4-6 months. Has anyone done anything like this. I am looking for a
> partner to go with me, and/or suggestions on how I should proceed to make a route. I know that
> there are no roads between southern Panama and Columbia so I will need to either fly or boat
> across that. Any suggestions?

I think somebody has done that not sure where tho.

I think you have a real challenge here. and its also very dangerous particularly with narco-rebel
activity in colombia and bandits in certain other places.

its almost like the Wild West down there

[email protected] (ASJ) wrote in news:dd4e0b72.0306041910.585262a1 @posting.google.com:
> I want to bike from toronto canada to Machu Picchu in Peru, climb it and then fly back to toronto.
> I think this will take between 4-6 months. Has anyone done anything like this. I am looking for a
> partner to go with me, and/or suggestions on how I should proceed to make a route. I know that
> there are no roads between southern Panama and Columbia so I will need to either fly or boat
> across that. Any suggestions?

I remember reading an article in *Bicycling Magazine* about someone making such a journey, I believe
in the early 1980s. That was back when Bicycling Magazine was a decent read. The guy used a machete
to cut a path for his bike through the Darian Gap. Many libraries keep old issues of magazines and
may be able to track this one down for you.

By the way, Outside Magazine from this month (or last month) has an article about hikers being
kidnapped in the Darian Gap recently. That would be worth a read as well.

Dilbert Firestorm wrote:

> ASJ wrote:
> > I want to bike from toronto canada to Machu Picchu in Peru, climb it and then fly back to
> > toronto. I think this will take between 4-6 months. Has anyone done anything like this. I am
> > looking for a partner to go with me, and/or suggestions on how I should proceed to make a route.
> > I know that there are no roads between southern Panama and Columbia so I will need to either fly
> > or boat across that. Any suggestions?
>
> I think somebody has done that not sure where tho.
>
> I think you have a real challenge here. and its also very dangerous particularly with narco-rebel
> activity in colombia and bandits in certain other places.
>
> its almost like the Wild West down there

Louisana?

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 05:03:49 +0000 (UTC), Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

>By the way, Outside Magazine from this month (or last month) has an article about hikers being
>kidnapped in the Darian Gap recently. That would be worth a read as well.

Yeah. You might want to consider somewhere safer, like Chechnya, Bosnia, or Iraq.

Jasper

Check out http://www.downtheroad.org they are traveling from the United States to Terra Del Fuego.

[email protected] (ASJ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I want to bike from toronto canada to Machu Picchu in Peru, climb it and then fly back to toronto.
> I think this will take between 4-6 months. Has anyone done anything like this. I am looking for a
> partner to go with me, and/or suggestions on how I should proceed to make a route. I know that
> there are no roads between southern Panama and Columbia so I will need to either fly or boat
> across that. Any suggestions?

Have you read this site http://go.to/bikemessenger ?

Go to "back issues" then look back to about December 2000.

thanks I hadn't seen any of these sites!

Bernie wrote:

> Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
>

>>ASJ wrote:
>>
>>>I want to bike from toronto canada to Machu Picchu in Peru, climb it and then fly back to
>>>toronto. I think this will take between 4-6 months. Has anyone done anything like this. I am
>>>looking for a partner to go with me, and/or suggestions on how I should proceed to make a route.
>>>I know that there are no roads between southern Panama and Columbia so I will need to either fly
>>>or boat across that. Any suggestions?
>>
>>I think somebody has done that not sure where tho.
>>
>>I think you have a real challenge here. and its also very dangerous particularly with narco-rebel
>>activity in colombia and bandits in certain other places.
>>
>>its almost like the Wild West down there
>

> Louisana?

Um.. I'm trying to figure out what you meant by the louisiana comment....

[email protected] (ASJ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I want to bike from toronto canada to Machu Picchu in Peru, climb it and then fly back to toronto.
> I think this will take between 4-6 months. Has anyone done anything like this. I am looking for a
> partner to go with me, and/or suggestions on how I should proceed to make a route. I know that
> there are no roads between southern Panama and Columbia so I will need to either fly or boat
> across that. Any suggestions?

Never done that, sounds interesting. Good luck, and don't get caught by those south american
slave traders.

The safest way for you is to fly from Panama City to either Medellin or Cali and proceed from there,
if you want to skip Colombia altogether then fly to Quito. Don´t try to cross the Darien Gap, there
are no roads, nothing, it´s just a huge swamp. Colombian cities are safe in general, travel between
cities during the day to feel safer.

Dilbert Firestorm wrote:

> Bernie wrote:
> >
> > Dilbert Firestorm wrote:

> >>I think somebody has done that not sure where tho.
> >>
> >>I think you have a real challenge here. and its also very dangerous particularly with
> >>narco-rebel activity in colombia and bandits in certain other places.
> >>
> >>its almost like the Wild West down there
> >

> > Louisana?
> >

> Um.. I'm trying to figure out what you meant by the louisiana comment....

It's on his way and I've heard it's pretty wild in it's own right

Bernie wrote:

> Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
>

>>Bernie wrote:

>>>Louisana?
>>>

>>Um.. I'm trying to figure out what you meant by the louisiana comment....
>

> It's on his way and I've heard it's pretty wild in it's own right

oh!! its on its internary. cool. it does get wild. but I'm wasn't talking about that kind of wild.

I was refering to the "wild wild west" of the late 1800's with regards to columbia.

[email protected] (Juan) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> The safest way for you is to fly from Panama City to either Medellin or Cali and proceed from
> there, if you want to skip Colombia altogether then fly to Quito. Don´t try to cross the Darien
> Gap, there are no roads, nothing, it´s just a huge swamp. Colombian cities are safe in general,
> travel between cities during the day to feel safer.
>
> [email protected] (ASJ) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > I want to bike from toronto canada to Machu Picchu in Peru, climb it and then fly back to
> > toronto. I think this will take between 4-6 months. Has anyone done anything like this. I am
> > looking for a partner to go with me, and/or suggestions on how I should proceed to make a route.
> > I know that there are no roads between southern Panama and Columbia so I will need to either fly
> > or boat across that. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, Columbia frightens me the most only because of all the stories we
hear up here. I'm sure it exagerated though?