ride to the beach

irishmanster

Aug 10, 2013
I am a 64 year old male, and I had wanted to do a ride to Dewey Beach Delaware, from northern Lancaster county Pa, a distance of approximately150 miles...this I had wanted to do in two days...in my younger days (up until 2004) I had done such rides to State College Pa about the same distance with a very tough elevation profile, but since then have not engaged in such lengthy rides, partly due to diagnosed cardiac disease and a stent deployment. I would like to change that, but my hoped for ride to Dewey is not happening this year...my training for this ride consisted of two rides a week of increasing time and distance, while attempting to exceed and average ten MPH...I started at 18 miles for less than two hours, and I've gotten to 40 miles, at about 3:45 minutes, but of course on a ride like this that won't cut it...I'm already thinking about next year, though who knows what another year will bring...

...I'm looking for suggestions on a training regimen that gives me a shot at doing this ride over two days, maybe like 60 miles the first day with the tougher Pennsylvania elevations, and the remainder the next, over the much more friendly Delaware terrain...I have a very basic stationary bike that works fine, and I have access to bikes at a gym that are quite a bit more advanced, how can I utilize them? When the weather permits around May, how many miles a week should I do, and how often...and given age and conditioning, is it even a likely venture at all...any suggestions would most appreciated. Thank you.

BTW, my bike is a Redline Metro Sport 2011...fits me great and is the bike I'd be using...

have you asked your physician about your plans ? what is his opinion ? a general advice is to ride more days than you don't during the week, no matter if you do 1 hour rides for example, climbing and false flats are another story... tell your physician that in those terrains your heart rate will climb above 80% of maximum heart rate,

vspa:

Thanks for your response...greatly appreciated...my healthcare provider is a cycling enthusiast, she encourages my riding...my cardiologist opines that 100 miles a week is a lot, perhaps he's not a cyclist...but actually, I haven't seen him this year, and probably should, and mention that I think I'm maybe cardiovascular challenged...

I wasn't aware of the 80% thing on climbs, is that true even if my speed drops to 3-4mph on these climbs? At the gym I never get up that high, yet I still feel the workout the rest of the day...perhaps that's why these training rides are giving me the business...

I think in the back of my mind I knew I needed to ride more days, perhaps for shorter distances, or with some rest during the ride...except I stiffen up so much it's tough to get going again...a thought to build on for next year (wait until my wife hears I'm planning this for next year)...

For now, since I've abandoned my dream ride, I plan on doing the same ride, somewhat shortened, in three different shifts; the tough Pennsylvania part now a truncated 33 miler sometime soon, the final 42 mile leg to the beach still on my schedule, and the middle section sometime when I can get the logistics arranged...though annoyed by my failure, I could perhaps accept that this is my cycling future, and for all intents and purposes the superior option...maybe I can accept that...

Again, thanks for your response...

irishmanster said:
     I wasn't aware of the 80% thing on climbs, is that true even if my speed drops to 3-4mph on these climbs? At the gym I never get up that high, yet I still feel the workout the rest of the day...perhaps that's why these training rides are giving me the business...     
oh yes, 80% and more, there are a number of wristwatch devices and/or bikes computers that give you that information by using a chest strap in your chest obviously, they transmit your heat rate wirelessly and very accurately in real time, people also gauge their efforts by perceived breathing, you hit the red zone when you are not able to hold a conversation anymore during the climb,

going to a beach with your bike isnt recommended, the sand gets in your spokes and on the chain.

also it can get in the cables and sieze them up

Originally Posted by irishmanster .

I am a 64 year old male, and I had wanted to do a ride to Dewey Beach Delaware, from northern Lancaster county Pa, a distance of approximately150 miles...this I had wanted to do in two days...in my younger days (up until 2004) I had done such rides to State College Pa about the same distance with a very tough elevation profile, but since then have not engaged in such lengthy rides, partly due to diagnosed cardiac disease and a stent deployment. I would like to change that, but my hoped for ride to Dewey is not happening this year...my training for this ride consisted of two rides a week of increasing time and distance, while attempting to exceed and average ten MPH...I started at 18 miles for less than two hours, and I've gotten to 40 miles, at about 3:45 minutes, but of course on a ride like this that won't cut it...I'm already thinking about next year, though who knows what another year will bring...

...I'm looking for suggestions on a training regimen that gives me a shot at doing this ride over two days, maybe like 60 miles the first day with the tougher Pennsylvania elevations, and the remainder the next, over the much more friendly Delaware terrain...I have a very basic stationary bike that works fine, and I have access to bikes at a gym that are quite a bit more advanced, how can I utilize them? When the weather permits around May, how many miles a week should I do, and how often...and given age and conditioning, is it even a likely venture at all...any suggestions would most appreciated. Thank you.

BTW, my bike is a Redline Metro Sport 2011...fits me great and is the bike I'd be using...
Is this going to be a supported ride OR are will it be a solo, unsupported ride?

• that is, how much food, water, rain gear will you be carting along on the bike?

Do you have an anticipated mid-point location where you will "camp" OR do you know that there are motels/whatever along a stretch of roadway where you can-or-plan-to stay overnight?

How will you be getting back?

Regardless, if you break the ride up into roughly 20 +/- mile segments with 30 minute to 1 hour breaks in between, then I don't see why you shouldn't be able to tackle the ride if you can already spend ~4 hours in the saddle.

This may be stating the obvious, but DROP handlebars, if your bike doesn't already have them, or Drop Bar clip-ons will be very beneficial.

What shifters do you currently have on your bike?

What is the current gearing (Cassette & chainring range) on your bike?

Pa. climbs are painful for anyone! Long and steep and one following the other.

All I can offer is to find a training partner or local club and ride the miles you are capable of. And frankly, if you are doing forty "Pennsylvania miles" (equal to 75 Nebraska miles!) in 3:45...you're doing damned good! Holding a 13-15 MPH average over some of those mountains can be a challenge for the most fit young riders.

What is your diagnosis/prognosis? Unless it is dire, I can see improvement in your cycling future. I know a guy with a pacemaker the flies and a two heart attack survivor that had some pretty serious blockage that rides Eastern Ohio hills at a hard pace.

Yeah it's like everything else. You need to build up to it. Estimate the time it will take and go from there. Average time and all. You just get close to it for several weeks and then go for it.