Ride to the Brindabella Challenge with PPACT

Terryc

Guest
Since it hasn't been already mentioned here.

PPACT http://www.pedalpower.org.au
are running a ride
http://www.pedalpower.org.au/events/details.asp?IntContId=993
to the Brindabella challenge http://www.brindabellachallenge.com.au

Leaves Macarthur, SW Sydney[1] {:) Wednesday 29th and ride three days
to Canberra with Saturday and Sunday in Canberra.

It might be of interest to people who would like their gear carried.
Price of $125 also includes a return of you, gear and bicycle on the
Sunday evening[2]. Food and accomodation is extra.

They have a warning about 25kms of gravel road, but my 2c is that you
should be safe on 1.25" tyres in that area. Take patches, a spare and
take it easy. Past puncture god sacrifices were about 2 in 40 riders
(unless the council, is grading the road = shudder).

Worst part seems to be the accommodation option at Tarago at $50 per
person, but it did include breakfast. The evening menu you choose from
the blackboard at $8-27 The only other accommodation is camping at
$10/head. There are no other choices, although Lake Bathurst (historic
buildings) mentions a B&B or two, which might be an option if you don't
like the pub scene.

[1] Sorry, but it looks like you are going to have to catch the train to
the start as AFAIK there is no safe motor vehcle parking around. It
might be okay in the Macarthur Square area (but I have no idea of the
break-in rate there), but the Uni on the other side is now charging.

The TAFE car park might be doable, but it will definitely be locked up
on Sunday night when you get back.

Parking at any of the train stations will be difficult as they will be
full from 7am, although cars left overnight would not be out of place;
shiftworkers, but again no idea of break-in rate.

[2] Personaly, I think it would be wiser to return people to
Campbelltown station (more trains) than the blackhole of Macarthur.
Afterhours around Macarthur station seems to rate a few unhealthy
mentions occasionally in the papers.

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 28 Oct 2006 19:35:02 +1000
Terryc <[email protected]> wrote:

> Worst part seems to be the accommodation option at Tarago at $50 per
> person, but it did include breakfast. The evening menu you choose from
> the blackboard at $8-27 The only other accommodation is camping at
> $10/head. There are no other choices, although Lake Bathurst (historic
> buildings) mentions a B&B or two, which might be an option if you don't
> like the pub scene.

If that's the Loaded Dog, then the rooms are good, the people
friendly, and the breakfast excellent.

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Sat, 28 Oct 2006 19:35:02 +1000
> Terryc <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Worst part seems to be the accommodation option at Tarago at $50 per
>>person, but it did include breakfast. The evening menu you choose from
>>the blackboard at $8-27 The only other accommodation is camping at
>>$10/head. There are no other choices, although Lake Bathurst (historic
>>buildings) mentions a B&B or two, which might be an option if you don't
>>like the pub scene.

> If that's the Loaded Dog, then the rooms are good, the people
> friendly, and the breakfast excellent.

Yep, it is.
When you were there, did you notice if the hall still exists at Tarago?

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:24:40 +1100
Terryc <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yep, it is.
> When you were there, did you notice if the hall still exists at Tarago?

No I didn't notice. Haven't stayed at the Dog for a while, mostly I
pass through Tarago on my way to Bungendore.

Wake up BTH! You are the full bottle on Tarago.

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:24:40 +1100
> Terryc <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Yep, it is.
> > When you were there, did you notice if the hall still exists at Tarago?

> No I didn't notice. Haven't stayed at the Dog for a while, mostly I
> pass through Tarago on my way to Bungendore.
>
> Wake up BTH! You are the full bottle on Tarago.

I am? I thought I was the half-bottle of blue poofta drink? ;-)

Yep, the hall is still there. It was the petrol station that burned
down a few years ago, but I's been rebuilt.

The Loaded Dog is OK if you're a smoker, being in the bar there of an
evening damned near kills me though.

BTH

BT Humble wrote:

> Yep, the hall is still there. It was the petrol station that burned
> down a few years ago, but I's been rebuilt.

Thanks, if I understand you correctly; a) the hall is still there and b)
there was a petrol station, but it burnt down and has now been rebuilt.

It is a nice old hall. We used it for rides in the 80s and I was
wondering why the organisers of this ride were not providing it for
riders. Not everyone will be able to afford $50 for the Loaded Dog, nor
have the camping gear. So it would have catered for an alternative rider
, e.g group of mates who are going to book and share a cabin or caravan
at Moss Vale and Canberra.

> The Loaded Dog is OK if you're a smoker, being in the bar there of an
> evening damned near kills me though.

Yep, you tend to forget about this side of pubs.

Terryc wrote:
> BT Humble wrote:
>
> > Yep, the hall is still there. It was the petrol station that burned
> > down a few years ago, but I's been rebuilt.

> Thanks, if I understand you correctly; a) the hall is still there and b)
> there was a petrol station, but it burnt down and has now been rebuilt.
>

> It is a nice old hall. We used it for rides in the 80s and I was
> wondering why the organisers of this ride were not providing it for
> riders. Not everyone will be able to afford $50 for the Loaded Dog, nor
> have the camping gear. So it would have catered for an alternative rider
> , e.g group of mates who are going to book and share a cabin or caravan
> at Moss Vale and Canberra.

When is this ride? If it's sometime after mid-December and you feel
like doing an extra 16km from Tarago, you can stay at my farmlet for
free.

BT Humble wrote:

> When is this ride? If it's sometime after mid-December and you feel
> like doing an extra 16km from Tarago, you can stay at my farmlet for
> free.

Too early. Arrives Tarago on Thurs 30th November for the night. Being
organised by Pedal Power ACT to link into Brindabella challenge.

I posted here because they hadn't and the closing date is 15th Nov. My
2c is that it will not happen, unless they have put out a lot of
publicity in the BNSW/BV/etc bike mag.

I worked out it needs about 10 peoples to book and pay just to break
even on costs[1]. This is hire of truck in Sydney for gear and bikes and
a local Canberra overnight hire of bus to return people to Sydney[2].

I am not a fan of the big rides and would love to see many more small
group rides happening.

[1] covering hire of vehicle(1 ton tray), food and accom of driver(s).

[2] Bus needs a Canberra person (with appropriate license) to drive up
and back as no one-way hire is possible (budget or thrifty, hertz is
about double just to hire, avis probably same)

Terryc wrote:
> [2] Bus needs a Canberra person (with appropriate license) to drive up
> and back as no one-way hire is possible (budget or thrifty, hertz is
> about double just to hire, avis probably same)

Why not take the train back to Sydney? They leave Canberra station at
17:05 on Sundays and arrive back at Central 21:25. It costs $54
Econ/$76 first class... OK, I think I just answered my own question.

Only $45 if you board at Tarago though! ;-)

(It's much cheaper if you can book several months in advance, e.g. $32
for Canb-Syd on 11 March)

BTH

BT Humble wrote:
> Terryc wrote:
>
>>[2] Bus needs a Canberra person (with appropriate license) to drive up
>>and back as no one-way hire is possible (budget or thrifty, hertz is
>>about double just to hire, avis probably same)

> Why not take the train back to Sydney? They leave Canberra station at
> 17:05 on Sundays and arrive back at Central 21:25. It costs $54
> Econ/$76 first class... OK, I think I just answered my own question.

Compare that to the price for an overnight hire of a 12 seater bus for
only $281 (Thrifty). allowing two seats for driver and co-driver to
share driving to and from. Makes it half price and more convenient.[1]

The other major problem with trains is whether they would let you take
your bicycle on board. Ever since NSW dropped the loco carriages and
changed to XPT/explorer, the railways have been a joke[2] for groups on
trains.

In the 80,s you could say to a group of peeps to catch the XYZ train to
so&so andthere would be no problems about them getting there and they
could do the same home. Not any more. If you want to take a group
anywhere, you almost need to have 50-50[2] bus to take them there and back.

[1] greyhound buses say their fare is $27 for the 2 hr 40 minutes trip.
Leaves 5pm

[2] Not to mention dangerous. Being gassed by exhaust fumes all the way
to Moss Vale once was enough for me. I wasn't impressed by the
allocation space for passenger luggage either; 4 suitcases per carriage.

[3] Half seats, half luggage/bike space.

> (It's much cheaper if you can book several months in advance, e.g. $32
> for Canb-Syd on 11 March)

Who wants to plan that far ahead. That is like going to work each day {:-(.

<oh well, back to finishing this paper>

Ah well. Maybe the best solution is just to get a touring bike and
take 6 months off work then?

BTH