Ride to the race?

globecanvas

May 2, 2011
50 mile road race tomorrow, the start/finish is a 25 minute uphill ride from home going easy (10 minute drive).

Ride to the race, or drive?

I rode to the race because my friend insisted we needed the smugness points. Riding there was fine, riding back after having cooled down was painful, but I'd do it again.

The race (a charity "challenge") was awesome! 50 mile hilly route with one 1500-foot climb. I had done the route solo last week in 3:00 / 16.7 mph and in the actual event I clocked 2:35 / 19.3 mph.

I did the same thing yesterday, but it is only about a 6 mile ride from my place to the start/finish. Riding there was fine, riding home after my first ever 50? Well, I didn't make it. About 2 miles from home (with a hill between me and there) I was like forget this, someone come pick me up!

My husband was awesome and finished riding home and grabbed my car and picked me up. I blame the newbie neck pain :)

My house to the start/finish was 6 miles too, just uphill. Funny coincidences, but different coasts, I think.

Before hand I was worried that riding there would detract from how I did in the event, but that was a total non issue. I didn't think at all about the ride back!