Ride To Work Day - 8th October '03

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hippy, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    So is anyone going to try and rope their workmates into riding to work for BV's Ride to Work Day?
    Has anyone tried in previous years? How did it go? Many participants? Have you attended the
    Melbourne city breakfast thing? Do newbies actually start commuting as a result of this, or is it
    just the hardcore commuters that go in for free food?

    hippy "Free?!? Oh man, I am so there!!! :)

    Tags:

  2. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    > So is anyone going to try and rope their workmates into riding to work for BV's Ride to Work Day?
    > Has anyone tried in previous years? How did it go? Many participants? Have you attended the
    > Melbourne city breakfast thing? Do newbies actually start commuting as a result of this, or is it
    > just the hardcore commuters that go in for free food?

    I had a workmate that lives near me do it one year - never again, ended up taking twice as long to
    get to work!

    I did go for the free feed one year however.

    Tim

  3. K&C Russell

    K&C Russell Guest

    "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > So is anyone going to try and rope their workmates into riding to work for BV's Ride to Work
    > > Day? Has anyone tried in previous years? How did it go? Many participants? Have you attended the
    > > Melbourne city breakfast thing? Do newbies actually start commuting as a result of this, or is
    > > it just the hardcore commuters that go in for free food?
    > >

    > I had a workmate that lives near me do it one year - never again, ended up taking twice as long to
    > get to work!
    >
    > I did go for the free feed one year however.
    >
    > Tim

    Hi Tim, I had a similar experience I once took the car and I reckon it took me twice as long too,
    and I got no free breakfast. I won't do that again ;-)

    Kevin

  4. Nickzx6r

    Nickzx6r Guest

    hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
    > So is anyone going to try and rope their workmates into riding to work for BV's Ride to Work Day?
    > Has anyone tried in previous years? How did it go? Many participants? Have you attended the
    > Melbourne city breakfast thing? Do newbies actually start commuting as a result of this, or is it
    > just the hardcore commuters that go in for free food?

    > hippy "Free?!? Oh man, I am so there!!! :)

    I used to work at Southbank so it was on my way to work. Since I rode everyday anyway there was no
    reason I could think of not to stop and stuff as many free muesli bars/yoghurts/whatever into my bag
    as possible, and get a free massage (or two if you can sweet talk them :).

    The few times I went there seemed to be plenty of people who didn't look like regular commuters to
    me. Also, if you don't get in reasonably early you find the good food's all gone and there's a long
    wait for the massages.

    At the time, there were a few of us that rode every day to work and it was pretty much a free food
    novelty. If you already commute regularly then the food and massage is the only reason to stop by.
    In fact, for me, the food was a bit crappy but a free massage should never be refused :)

    Last time I did it there must've been at least a couple of hundred people.

    Cheers. -Nick

  5. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    "K&C Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > So is anyone going to try and rope their workmates into riding to work for BV's Ride to Work
    > > > Day? Has anyone tried in previous years? How did it go? Many participants? Have you attended
    > > > the Melbourne city breakfast thing? Do newbies actually start commuting as a result of this,
    > > > or is it just the hardcore commuters that go in for free food?
    > > >

    > > I had a workmate that lives near me do it one year - never again, ended
    up
    > > taking twice as long to get to work!
    > >
    > > I did go for the free feed one year however.
    > >
    > > Tim
    > >

    > Hi Tim, I had a similar experience I once took the car and I reckon it took me
    twice
    > as long too, and I got no free breakfast. I won't do that again ;-)

    Sorry, I meant that it took me twice as long to ride to work as normal (comuting) as he was slow,
    not that I ever drive into the city - heaven forbid!

    > Kevin

    Tim

  6. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    I went last year, got the free brekky at Parliament and met up with some friends (who already ride to work anyway). Then I rode to work in sunny Footscray.

    It's worth doing if you can drag a new rider along, so they realise the joys of commuting. It's also worth doing as a couple of hundred people on bikes has great visual impact (especially when they're all happily munching on breakfast as the car commuters sit in traffic).

  7. its_stuart

    its_stuart New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2003
    I ride to work in all but the most inclement weather however I don't live far from work. The problem with riding to work for alot of peeps is the fact that they cant get sweaty or dirty as they don't have shower facilities etc. If the fed gov is serious about bike-commuting they should address this issue at least in gov facillities.
    :)

  8. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > At the time, there were a few of us that rode every day to work and it was pretty much a free food
    > novelty. If you already commute regularly then the food and massage is the only reason to stop by.
    > In fact, for
    me,
    > the food was a bit crappy but a free massage should never be refused
    :)

    Well my commute is ~1hr each way, daily and I've been doubling that when I visit my girlfriend - all
    of this on the singlespeed mtb (with knobs ;-P). Another 5k into the city for free stuff isn't going
    to trouble me! :) I need a massage right now though.. 2hrs on the SS this morning into a strong
    headwind after the same distance last night.. me sore!

    hippy