Ride up the Mississippi

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Jim, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim

Jim Guest

I was thinking of riding self-contained north along the Mississippi river from St. Louis to
    Minnesota in mid-May into June. Any comments about the roads, traffic, scenery, hazards, camping
    opportunities, etc.

Tags:

2. Dwurff

Dwurff Guest

The highway from Hamilton, IL to Fort Madison, IA is very scenic and follows the river to Nauvoo,
    IL. I understand the LDS Church has rebuilt the original temple or is in the process of doing it.
    Good camping in the area although it has been sometime since I have been that way. The road is two
    lane an well traveled. It was wide with a good shoulder.

Highway 35 from Prairie du Chien, WI to LaCrosse, WI is also very nice and offers the same views of
    the river as above. I'm not to sure about the camping in this area though. You would be traveling
    through the Wisconsin Coulees, an area not covered by glaciers the last time they visited the area.

Happy Trails.

On Thu, 8 May 2003 06:36:35 -0700, "Jim" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I was thinking of riding self-contained north along the Mississippi river from St. Louis to
    >Minnesota in mid-May into June. Any comments about the roads, traffic, scenery, hazards, camping
    >opportunities, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.