Ride with music or not?

I've been listening to a training video sound trace to pace me through
sprint workouts. The sound only comes through the right ear so there's no
problem hearing what's going on. Actually pacing me through the audio
workout has improved my cycling a lot over the past few months. I just wish
there were more audio tape of mp3 workouts out there to change the pace a
bit.

victor

"TomP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "David L. Johnson" wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:57:56 +0000, TomP wrote:
> >
> > > So what are hearing impaired riders to do?

> > They are aware of the possibility of people coming up on them without
> > their being able to hear, so they look around more than do riders with
> > average hearing. They are also not engrossed with the music.
> >
> > --
> >
> > David L. Johnson

> David,
> I can hear approaching traffic just fine with earbud type

headphones,
> with the volume loud enough to hear the programming over the ambient wind
> noise. I might even go so far as to say I can hear approaching traffic
> better with the earbuds in place. Depending on ambient conditions, wind
> speed and direction.
> Use a little judgment and accept the risk.
>

> --
> Tp,
>
> -------- __o
> ----- -\<. -------- __o
> --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
> -------------------- ( )/ ( )
>
> No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...
> Life is one big Risk Management exercise.

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 00:47:07 -0400, "David L. Johnson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 14:39:41 +0000, TomP wrote:
>
>> noise. I might even go so far as to say I can hear approaching traffic
>> better with the earbuds in place. Depending on ambient conditions, wind
>> speed and direction.

>Then how come no one on the bike trails, walker, runner, or rider,

Hardly a 'bike trail' then.

The Queen of Cans and Jars wrote:

> Blue Gator <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> This has probably been discussed before, but please forgive me for asking
>> since I'm new to the group.
>>
>> I'm thinking about getting a mp3 player to listen to on long rides. Good
>> Idea or Bad Idea?

> it's illegal in some places, and for a good reason. you need to be able
> to hear what's going on around you.

Well, usually I can't hear bugger all over the noise the damn cars are
making. So I prefer music.

--

QUIPd 1.02: (2 of 679)
-> With the exception of musical instruments, the bicycle may

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:26:19 +0000, Chris B. wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 00:47:07 -0400, "David L. Johnson"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 14:39:41 +0000, TomP wrote:
>>
>>> noise. I might even go so far as to say I can hear approaching traffic
>>> better with the earbuds in place. Depending on ambient conditions, wind
>>> speed and direction.

>>Then how come no one on the bike trails, walker, runner, or rider,

> Hardly a 'bike trail' then.

Obviously you haven't been on one lately. Regardless of how they are
marked, they all become "multi-use" paths.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
_`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong
(_)/ (_) |

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:03:57 -0400, "David L. Johnson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:26:19 +0000, Chris B. wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 00:47:07 -0400, "David L. Johnson"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Then how come no one on the bike trails, walker, runner, or rider,

>> Hardly a 'bike trail' then.

>Obviously you haven't been on one lately. Regardless of how they are
>marked, they all become "multi-use" paths.

*whoosh*