rider down in Kew

Resound

Guest
I was making my way up the hill on High St in Kew yesterday morning, through
the shops when I heard the bang. I looked up in time to see a van still
rocking, halfway through turning right into a side street and a cyclist.
Midair. Upside-down. It was a scene out of a gratuitous TAC ad. The cyclist
hit the ground, and came to a stop and sat yelling "F*CK!" (sorry, still not
sure on conventions for swearing in this group, thought I'd dodge any
filters) over and over. After the initial shock of "**** he's been hit", I
was relieved that he was still capable of yelling coherently (not
unconcious/dead...he hit VERY hard). It's amazing how people react; by the
time I'd ditched the bike on the footpath and managed to run across the
road, there was a guy already calling emergency services on his mobile. I
was dithering a bit after checking the guy out as he had a really nasty deep
gash in his brow (I'd hate to think how far up his forehead it would have
gone had he not been wearing a helmet) and I was trying to think what I had
that I could use as a compress without resorting to my sweat soaked jersey,
which I doubt he'd have enjoyed for a number of reasons. A few seconds
later, a waiter emerged from the cafe on the corner with tea-towels, which
solved that problem. I think he was actually the owner because he later
offered to store the bike out the back of the place until the guy could come
back to get it. Everyone around was fantastic, except the guy driving the
van who was trying to explain why it was everyone's fault but his. I don't
EVER really feel like I want to hit people; I'm almost pathological when it
come to avoiding conflict, but it took some serious self control to not
thump this guy. So in the end, the injuries looked like a nasty gash in the
forehead, hopefully nothing more serious in terms of any lasting damage as
he was completely coherent the whole time, a damaged ankle, and bruising and
abrasion that would have felt extra special when the shock wore off. The
police and ambulance were there in just a couple of minutes, so kudos to
them. I suspect I'm going to have this action replay in my head for quite a
few days. It's left me feeling pretty nasty, but I suppose it could have
been a great deal worse. Here's hoping he's on his feet again soon.

"Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I was making my way up the hill on High St in Kew yesterday morning,
>through the shops when I heard the bang. I looked up in time to see a van
>still rocking, halfway through turning right into a side street and a
>cyclist. Midair. Upside-down. It was a scene out of a gratuitous TAC ad.
>The cyclist

Nasty stuff! :(.. That is a common commute route for myself, dutch, and
many others..

This time of year the sun is positioned very badly at that time of day for
roads like High St. Where possible I've been keeping off the main roads
when there is excess glare. Even switching my rear light on when riding into
the sun...

stay safe,

GPL

Resound said:

Jesus!

just glad he is OK(ish)

which corner was it? the one 200m-ish east of the junction?
can you recall the details/particulars?

did you give a witness statement and/or get the victim's details?

as Lama mentioned, we ride there all the time and its a real bottleneck for everyone! cars are always turning right and not looking in both lanes.

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Resound Wrote:
>>
>> snippage
>>

> Jesus!
>
> just glad he is OK(ish)
>
> which corner was it? the one 200m-ish east of the junction?
> can you recall the details/particulars?
>
> did you give a witness statement and/or get the victim's details?
>
> as Lama mentioned, we ride there all the time and its a real bottleneck
> for everyone! cars are always turning right and not looking in both
> lanes.
>

> --
> flyingdutch

Corner of High St and Derrick St, Kew, not the corner you're thinking of if
it's the corner I'm thinking of (Cotham Rd). I've had a moment or two on
that corner myself. I gave a witness statement, didn't get details of the
guy who went down though.

Resound wrote:

> "flyingdutch" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Resound Wrote:
> > >
> >> snippage
> > >

> > Jesus!
> >
> > just glad he is OK(ish)
> >
> > which corner was it? the one 200m-ish east of the junction?
> > can you recall the details/particulars?
> >
> > did you give a witness statement and/or get the victim's details?
> >
> > as Lama mentioned, we ride there all the time and its a real
> > bottleneck for everyone! cars are always turning right and not
> > looking in both lanes.
> >

> > --
> > flyingdutch
> >

> Corner of High St and Derrick St, Kew, not the corner you're thinking
> of if it's the corner I'm thinking of (Cotham Rd). I've had a moment
> or two on that corner myself. I gave a witness statement, didn't get
> details of the guy who went down though.

Wow. I know that street. A month or so ago I had to slam on the
brakes there (or maybe a couple of streets up the hill) to avoid a
driver who cut me off as she turned right through the traffic. I was
passing on the left of the stationary cars on High St, so I wasn't
going too fast, but it was still pretty close.

The timing of the lights at Kew Junction seem to have changed too.
I've positioned myself at the centre of the front of the left lane,
expecting it to turn green for Studley Park Rd, when it puts on the
green left turn arrow instead. So I shuffle my bike into the right
lane to let the turning traffic past. Then shuffle back if there's
time... Seems like the sequence changes at some time during the
morning.

Andrew Reddaway said:
The timing of the lights at Kew Junction seem to have changed too.
I've positioned myself at the centre of the front of the left lane,
expecting it to turn green for Studley Park Rd, when it puts on the
green left turn arrow instead. So I shuffle my bike into the right
lane to let the turning traffic past. Then shuffle back if there's
time... Seems like the sequence changes at some time during the
morning.

hmmm. latest i go thru there is 8am and still seems to be as you 'were' used to. ie both lanes green at same time.

dang dangerous anticipating/assuming what lights are gonna do! i almost ened up stranded in the middle of bridge/punt intersection this week after an extraordinarily long time , it finally wet green for me whilst i nervously trackstanding in the middle, having rolled off assuming it was within half a second of greening :rolleyes:

Thank God I didn't get around to reading this thread before I set off this morning! Would've made the usual Kew dodge even less pleasant... Between watching for doors, watching for peds stepping out, watching for right turners turning in and left turners turning out, I think I'm now needing about 8 eyes...

Well done for the helping hands, both Resound and the associated others...