Rider killed in Tucson

Why call us retards? Of course we've heard of them. Doesn't mean we ever get to benefit from them.
Also, the specific tactics of police protection are not often determined by the race promoters, but
by the police themselves. I suppose we can always ask for it.

"hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Have any of you retards ever heard of a rolling enclosure...? You don't have to close the whole
> freakin' road, just have a police escort in front of the main field (and any breaks). For most
> races you can do it for the price of the overtime rate of the cops for a few hours.
>
> "Jim Quinn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Exactly right. In Texas we have lots of road races but I can think of
> only
> > one where there is a total road closure. Most local officials are not
> going
> > to allow you to hold a race if you try to get a total closure. What you
> try
> > to do is to find good roads which have very little traffic. You then have
> > couple of cops controlling what little traffic there is.
> >
> > It normally works pretty good.
> >
> > "S. Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > For the most part, in Canada, if you tried to close the whole road,
> you'd be
> > > racing in a 1km crit. course. In large races, it simply doesn't happen.
> If
> > > you want the long(ish) road race type of course, you generally only get
> half
> > > the road. You can refuse to race all you want, the outcome of which is
> that
> > > there would simply be no races ever again. Europe is a different world
> in
> > > this regard.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Scott..
> > > --
> > > Scott Anderson
> > >
> > > "Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> close

Now go and implement one for 10 categories. It gets expensive really fast.

Of course they can be done, but last I heard, all bike racers were bums and not willing to pay $50
entry fees (they even fight over when they'll get their 3rd place water bottle cage)

Raptor <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> hold my beer and watch this... wrote:
> > Have any of you retards ever heard of a rolling enclosure...? You don't have to close the whole
> > freakin' road, just have a police escort in front of the main field (and any breaks). For most
> > races you can do it for the price of the overtime rate of the cops for a few hours.
>
> I was leaving the gym yesterday and got caught in a rolling closure for a funeral. The motorcycle
> cops here have it down real good. It was a big procession so it took something like 20 cops. They
> apparently were on the clock. If they'd do it for a funeral maybe they'd do it for a bike race,
> though you're crossing jurisdictions.
>
> --

More to the point, a lot of communities are not going to go for rolling enclosures even if you can
pay for it. Also unless the venue is very large then even with rolling enclosures you effectively
shut down the roads when you have 10 or so groups on the road

"kaiser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Now go and implement one for 10 categories. It gets expensive really fast.
>
> Of course they can be done, but last I heard, all bike racers were bums and not willing to pay $50
> entry fees (they even fight over when they'll get their 3rd place water bottle cage)
>
> Raptor <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > hold my beer and watch this... wrote:
> > > Have any of you retards ever heard of a rolling enclosure...? You
don't
> > > have to close the whole freakin' road, just have a police escort in
front of
> > > the main field (and any breaks). For most races you can do it for the
price
> > > of the overtime rate of the cops for a few hours.
> >
> > I was leaving the gym yesterday and got caught in a rolling closure for a funeral. The
> > motorcycle cops here have it down real good. It was a big procession so it took something like
> > 20 cops. They apparently were on the clock. If they'd do it for a funeral maybe they'd do it for
> > a bike race, though you're crossing jurisdictions.
> >
> > --

While technically true in fact they normally have a lead car and follow car bracketing the racing
groups. Cars can pass the group but they normally don't mix with the racers in the groups.

"kaiser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Davide,
>
> The do not usually close ANY part of the road. They merely allow us to race on the road along with
> the automobile traffic. If we dare to cross the center line, we get disqualified. A few of the
> larger races do close the road to automobile traffic, but very few.
>
> -k

news:<[email protected]>...