Rider weight limits

katk

Jun 27, 2010
Hi all,
Just after some advice regarding purchasing a new bike.

My fiance who weighs approximately 130kg and is 6ft tall wants to buy a mountain bike purely for fitness/pleasure/weight loss. It would be ridden on footpath, bitumen and occasional dirt road.

Our budget is $200-$1000. It does not have to be extravagant, only colour preference would be black if possible. We both haven't owned bikes for years so really know nothing but know your average Big W or Kmart bike isn't going to cut it!

Any/all advice appreciated,
Katherine

katk said:
Just after some advice regarding purchasing a new bike.

My fiance who weighs approximately 130kg and is 6ft tall wants to buy a mountain bike purely for fitness/pleasure/weight loss. It would be ridden on footpath, bitumen and occasional dirt road.

Our budget is $200-$1000. It does not have to be extravagant, only colour preference would be black if possible. We both haven't owned bikes for years so really know nothing but know your average Big W or Kmart bike isn't going to cut it!
FWIW. I would use the JAMIS Coda as the bike against which you judge other bikes ... the base model has an MSRP of $550(US) ...

The 2010 bikes in most LBSes should go on sale at the beginning of July (soon!) if they haven't already been reduced ... on sale, I reckon a 2010 bike should sell for 20% less (or, even less) than the MSRP ...

A NOS 2009, should be ~30% less ... a NOS 2008 should be ~40% less.

A six footer is tall enough to give serious consideration to a 29er, if a MTB is preferred ...

N.B. I was able to fit 700x52 (29er) tyres in a non-29er frame that I have [I was curious!]; so, if really FAT tyres are of interest, have the shop put a wheel with a 29er tyre in the Coda-or-equivalent frame to see if it fits.