Rider Weight when selecting a Bike...Help Needed.

jsirabella

Jan 1, 2005
Hello All,

I have finally come to a conclusion of what I will do about which bike to buy. I want to get a Cervelo and still trying to decide between the Soloist vs. the R3. But besides this issue, how much should my weight factor into selecting my bike. It seems that everyone just wants to keep going lighter and that is all that is needed.

I weight about 175 - 180 depending on the time of day and enjoy doing weight lifting besides cycling so I am not your traditional small upper body type of guy. I also do have a slight larger tighs. I do this because I enjoy it and do want to race but for fun and the competition.

Should I go for a slighter heavier bike because of my frame or should I go lighter? I have a couple bikes now a real old beater Bianchi Project 5 and a Trek 5000. The Trek has alot of miles and want to get a new bike. The funny thing is that on certain days I like the Bianchi more than Trek because it weighs a little more and can really beat on it. The Bianchi has had its day and found a LeMond Poprad frame I am going to turn into a new beater for training and touring.

What do you guys suggest and which bike would you pick for me? If you know Cervelo also let me know what you think.

-John Sirabella

jsirabella said:
Hello All,

I have finally come to a conclusion of what I will do about which bike to buy. I want to get a Cervelo and still trying to decide between the Soloist vs. the R3. But besides this issue, how much should my weight factor into selecting my bike. It seems that everyone just wants to keep going lighter and that is all that is needed.

I weight about 175 - 180 depending on the time of day and enjoy doing weight lifting besides cycling so I am not your traditional small upper body type of guy. I also do have a slight larger tighs. I do this because I enjoy it and do want to race but for fun and the competition.

Should I go for a slighter heavier bike because of my frame or should I go lighter? I have a couple bikes now a real old beater Bianchi Project 5 and a Trek 5000. The Trek has alot of miles and want to get a new bike. The funny thing is that on certain days I like the Bianchi more than Trek because it weighs a little more and can really beat on it. The Bianchi has had its day and found a LeMond Poprad frame I am going to turn into a new beater for training and touring.

What do you guys suggest and which bike would you pick for me? If you know Cervelo also let me know what you think.

-John Sirabella
You need to be specific about where you ride and your prioritys. Flat, steep, rough, ect. and what pecentages of each. Are you looking for a frameset to be built to YOUR requirement's, or a complete bike compromise? Any price limitation?

If you are asking whether there are any limitations on your bicycle choice because of your weght, there are not. At 180 pounds, you can ride any bike you want. Above 200, you might run into some problems with light weight wheels, and above 235, you might have problems with some wheels, frames, and pedals, but at 180, there should be no problems.

I am from NY so I do alot of riding in upstate NY, Jersey and ofcourse Central Park. I joined a club to start to enter races. I am buying this bike specifically for eventual racing and maybe a weekend century up towards Bear Mt.

I enjoy doing touring so going to make the Poprad the touring/commuting/winter and training bike in one. I feel I can make myself stronger and faster on that bike so when I switch to the Curvelo it should feel like even better.

As far as my riding skills, when it comes to racing I am a novice. I put in alot of miles but when I try to keep up with some of the roadies. I get lost mostly on the cornering, downhills and some flats. I am terrible at cornering, always grab brakes. On the hills is where I usually catch them. My legs are bigger and depending in the size of the hill I can grind pretty well through it while they spin. I also feel i do not have the cardio to keep up in certain cases so I have been practicing alot of spinning. I also need to improve my awareness of when to switch gears.

So if a bike can help me with any of the above that would be great...

-john sirabella

lks said:
You need to be specific about where you ride and your prioritys. Flat, steep, rough, ect. and what pecentages of each. Are you looking for a frameset to be built to YOUR requirement's, or a complete bike compromise? Any price limitation?

In the touring forums alot of guys bring up weight, was not aware was when you should become concerned is once you reach the 200lb mark. If I go above that I can start to be concerned I see...

Thanks you for the info.

RickF said:
If you are asking whether there are any limitations on your bicycle choice because of your weght, there are not. At 180 pounds, you can ride any bike you want. Above 200, you might run into some problems with light weight wheels, and above 235, you might have problems with some wheels, frames, and pedals, but at 180, there should be no problems.

RickF said:
I agree with RickF and would like to addthat the lighter you are-the more frame weight makes a "noticeable difference" while riding up hills. At 180 I think your in the range where a 17 to 18 lb bike will not only not break on you, but be sufficiently light. My bike is 17 lbs and I weight 170 lbs. My bike feels light as a feather while climbing-though my previous bike at 20 lbs did not feel light.

I should be down to 155 to 160 come spring so I might slice off 1lb more from my bike right before racing season starts. More mental than anything!!

Enjoy,
Ray