Riders to save on fuel

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
Here's cheery news story for you from Victoria. And it's not exclusively Melbourne-centric. Well, a little bit.

Riders to save on fuel
http://the.standard.net.au/articles/2005/09/15/1126377406207.html

THE fuel crisis could be a blessing in disguise for peoples' health and the environment with commuters reconsidering walking, cycling and public transport.

In an effort to fight off soaring petrol prices an increasing number of Warrnambool travellers are opting to jump on their bike.

Damian Clark spent $400 on a new mountain bike this week and hoped he could leave his Falcon in the driveway and cycle the two to three kilometres to his job at King Cole fruit suppliers.

"You just have to spend a bit more to put the fuel in. It just cost me $90 to fill up," Mr Clark said.

"I bought the bike because it's cheaper and to try and get fit."

According to Warrnambool's Bicycle Superstore manager Stewart Pyers, Mr Clark is one of a number who see fuel price hikes as an opportunity to boost their health for the sake of their pocket.

"With petrol prices where they're at we've seen people on a daily basis coming in to buy bikes so they can commute," Mr Pyers said.

"It doesn't take long to save on fuel the $300 or $400 spent on a bike.

"It's quite achievable for somebody to ride 20 to 30 kilometres to work and back each day."

More than half the Australian population is obese and studies have shown cycling to work reduces mortality risk.

Those worried about safety while riding on the road should consider a UK study which revealed 140 people killed when cycling each year, but 20,000 others die prematurely due to a lack of exercise.

And it's not just waistlines which will reap the rewards. Each year the average passenger vehicle emits about four tonnes of carbon dioxide which is the biggest culprit in terms of global warming and climate change.

In Melbourne there have been reports of a surge in scooter sales, but Philip Russell from Philip Russell Motorcycle's said it wasn't as attractive for Warrnambool commuters due to the climate.

"If they bought an economical bike they could get about four times the distance out of their tank than a car and you can buy a scooter for between $2500 and $7000," Mr Russell said.

cfsmtb wrote:
<snip>
> Riders to save on fuel
> http://the.standard.net.au/articles/2005/09/15/1126377406207.html

<snip>
> Damian Clark spent $400 on a new mountain bike this week and hoped he
> could leave his Falcon in the driveway and cycle the two to three
> kilometres to his job at King Cole fruit suppliers.
>
> "You just have to spend a bit more to put the fuel in. It just cost me
> $90 to fill up," Mr Clark said.
>
> "I bought the bike because it's cheaper and to try and get fit."

<snip>

He lives 2-3km from work, but it took $90/tank fuel to convince him that
driving that distance wasn't his smartest option?

Tam

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> cfsmtb wrote:
> <snip>
>> Riders to save on fuel
>> http://the.standard.net.au/articles/2005/09/15/1126377406207.html

> <snip>
>> Damian Clark spent $400 on a new mountain bike this week and hoped he
>> could leave his Falcon in the driveway and cycle the two to three
>> kilometres to his job at King Cole fruit suppliers.
>>
>> "You just have to spend a bit more to put the fuel in. It just cost me
>> $90 to fill up," Mr Clark said.
>>
>> "I bought the bike because it's cheaper and to try and get fit."

> <snip>
>
> He lives 2-3km from work, but it took $90/tank fuel to convince him that
> driving that distance wasn't his smartest option?
>
> Tam

Yeah, I wondered about that. Mind you, that's not an uncommon distance for a
car trip, if I recall coreectly.

cfsmtb> Damian Clark spent $400 on a new mountain bike this week and
cfsmtb> hoped he could leave his Falcon in the driveway and cycle
cfsmtb> the two to three kilometres to his job at King Cole fruit
cfsmtb> suppliers.

Two to three KMs? That's a walking distance, not a cycling distance. Sheesh!
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Two to three KMs? That's a walking distance, not a cycling distance. Sheesh!
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,
Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)[/QUOTE]

Exactly... i dont know why he even bothered buying a bike.. He should just walk for 2-3 k's.. If he only works 2-3 k's away, what kind of falcon was he driving to suck that much juice. One that has warp drive???

Sounds like my house mate - lives 2km from his work, drives, and then spends
10 minutes walking from the car park to his work. Needless to say his waist
line shows it!

Go figure

coowoowoo said:
Two to three KMs? That's a walking distance, not a cycling distance. Sheesh!
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,
Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)

Exactly... i dont know why he even bothered buying a bike.. He should just walk for 2-3 k's.. If he only works 2-3 k's away, what kind of falcon was he driving to suck that much juice. One that has warp drive???[/QUOTE]

Maybe he's using the bike formore than just the work commute?

Euan wrote:

> cfsmtb> Damian Clark spent $400 on a new mountain bike this week and
> cfsmtb> hoped he could leave his Falcon in the driveway and cycle
> cfsmtb> the two to three kilometres to his job at King Cole fruit
> cfsmtb> suppliers.
>
> Two to three KMs? That's a walking distance, not a cycling distance. Sheesh!

Three kilometres is roughly 18-25 minutes walking. Three km, cycling is
about 6-10 minutes depending on terrain and traffic. If late for work
you probably can do it much faster :) I'll cycle, thank you.

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada