Rides across the US

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Andrew Price, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. Andrew Price

    Andrew Price Guest

    Interested in doing a west to east crossing - anyone with the experience got a recommendation for an
    operator or an organised tour? - not the race across for the first time thanks !

    Andrew

    Tags:

  2. Tim Arnold

    Tim Arnold Guest

    "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Interested in doing a west to east crossing - anyone with the experience
    got
    > a recommendation for an operator or an organised tour? - not the race
    across
    > for the first time thanks !
    >
    > Andrew

    http://www.pactour.com/

    typically not for slackers.

  3. Garyg

    Garyg Guest

    "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Interested in doing a west to east crossing - anyone with the experience
    got
    > a recommendation for an operator or an organised tour? - not the race
    across
    > for the first time thanks !
    >
    > Andrew

    Every year the American Lung Association does a cross country charity ride. It's not as "brisk" as
    the PAC Tour, but requires you to raise a pretty substantial contribution to their charity. Info at:
    http://www.lungusa.org/events/bigride.html

    --
    ~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.CycliStats.com CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

  4. Dan

    Dan Guest

    I rode for a week with Cycle America's America North tour. It was part of a nine-week cross-country
    ride. You can learn more at www.cycleamerica.com The riders either camped or slept on gym floors. I
    enjoyed it very much.

    A friend rode across the US with "America by Bicycle" a couple of years ago and really liked them.
    He has a terrific web site about the experience at www.padrerider.com He rode a 50 day ride, staying
    in hotels along the way. Their web site is at www.abbike.com They also have faster rides (26 and 32
    day options).

    Both companies do a great job and provide wonderful support. The main difference between them is the
    hotel vs. camping approach, as well as the distance ridden each day. The routes are fairly similar,
    or at least the northern routes are.

    Good luck, and enjoy the journey! Dan