Rides around Arenal, Costa Rica ?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by GWood, Dec 22, 2005.

  1. GWood

    GWood Guest

    Will be visiting the area around the lake and volcano in late January. Have
    heard about great rides nearby, but have no details on how to get in on
    them.

    We will not be taking bikes, but would definitely take pedals and shoes if
    we can find any rides close by. So we'd need rentals and a guide, or an
    organized ride that caters to weekend warriors (and not white-belts). Any
    recommendations or experiences in the area welcomed.

    Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I ask
    because we're travelling light and lids take up precious room....

    Cheers
    Gary

    Tags:

  2. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    > Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I ask
    > because we're travelling light and lids take up precious room....

    Eeewww! Bring your own. They really don't take up that much room
    considering you can stuff the inside of them with other stuff.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  3. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    GWood wrote:

    > Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I ask
    > because we're travelling light and lids take up precious room....

    They "rent" pot down there?!?

    Bill "slow afternoon" S.

  4. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    You obviously do NOT have kids. :)

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > > Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I ask
    > > because we're travelling light and lids take up precious room....
    > >

    > Eeewww! Bring your own. They really don't take up that much room
    > considering you can stuff the inside of them with other stuff.
    >
    > --
    > o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    > www.schnauzers.ws

  5. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Zilla wrote:
    > You obviously do NOT have kids. :)

    Two (6 & 12)

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  6. GWood

    GWood Guest

    Bill, you're dating yourself. And not in the "social" sense.

    "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]>

    > > Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I ask
    > > because we're travelling light and lids take up precious room....

    > They "rent" pot down there?!?

  7. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    And you have room to pack other stuff, let alone
    your bikes, on trips? I need lessons from you!
    I have 3 - 8, 6, 3 yo.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA
    (Remove XSPAM)

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Zilla wrote:
    > > You obviously do NOT have kids. :)
    > >

    > Two (6 & 12)
    >
    > --
    > o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    > www.schnauzers.ws

  8. small change

    small change Guest

    Zilla wrote:
    > And you have room to pack other stuff, let alone
    > your bikes, on trips? I need lessons from you!
    > I have 3 - 8, 6, 3 yo.

    mitch leaves his kids at home. Our solution was the flat bed trailer.

  9. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Zilla wrote:
    > And you have room to pack other stuff, let alone
    > your bikes, on trips? I need lessons from you!
    > I have 3 - 8, 6, 3 yo.

    I am an overpacker. I always bring more than I need. It's all in how
    you fold and place the items. I never had lessons on how to pack a
    backpack, but my loads are so level I could climb Everest without a wobble.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  10. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    GWood wrote:
    > "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]>
    >
    >>> Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I
    >>> ask because we're travelling light and lids take up precious
    >>> room....

    >> They "rent" pot down there?!?

    > Bill, you're dating yourself. And not in the "social" sense.

    The kids don't call 'em lids any more? Too busy pulling their shorts up I
    guess!

    Bill "dag nabbit" S.

  11. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    small change wrote:
    > Zilla wrote:
    >> And you have room to pack other stuff, let alone
    >> your bikes, on trips? I need lessons from you!
    >> I have 3 - 8, 6, 3 yo.
    >>

    > mitch leaves his kids at home. Our solution was the flat bed trailer.

    Bungee 'em down tight? <eg>

  12. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "GWood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Will be visiting the area around the lake and volcano in late January.
    > Have
    > heard about great rides nearby, but have no details on how to get in on
    > them.
    >
    > We will not be taking bikes, but would definitely take pedals and shoes if
    > we can find any rides close by. So we'd need rentals and a guide, or an
    > organized ride that caters to weekend warriors (and not white-belts). Any
    > recommendations or experiences in the area welcomed.
    >
    > Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I ask
    > because we're travelling light and lids take up precious room....
    >
    > Cheers
    > Gary

    There's a guide service I know of made up of an American family that lives
    fairly primitively and gives what are reported to be awesome tours of really
    cool mtnbiking. I'll try to find info at home to post a link for you.

    CDB

  13. "GWood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Will be visiting the area around the lake and volcano in late January.
    > Have
    > heard about great rides nearby, but have no details on how to get in on
    > them.
    >
    > We will not be taking bikes, but would definitely take pedals and shoes if
    > we can find any rides close by. So we'd need rentals and a guide, or an
    > organized ride that caters to weekend warriors (and not white-belts). Any
    > recommendations or experiences in the area welcomed.
    >
    > Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I ask
    > because we're travelling light and lids take up precious room....
    >
    > Cheers
    > Gary

    Belize may be more primitive than Costa Rica but here is my experience from
    last year. Last year I went to Belize and spent some time in the Mountain
    Pine Ridge Forest Reserve. The resort had mountain bikes for rent, they were
    80's vintage rusted bikes that weighed 40+ pounds and had not seen any
    attention in years. My point is, it would surprise me if the rental bikes
    would be very good. I should have brought a bike with me. Apparently this
    resort, Five Sisters Lodge, gets a number of mountain biking clubs and they
    all bring there own bikes.

    In Belize tons of fireroads, the potential to use the old Mayan Roads as
    single track is huge. Endless miles of singletrack connecting the remote
    villages.

  14. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    GWood wrote:
    > Will be visiting the area around the lake and volcano in late January. Have
    > heard about great rides nearby, but have no details on how to get in on
    > them.
    >
    > We will not be taking bikes, but would definitely take pedals and shoes if
    > we can find any rides close by. So we'd need rentals and a guide, or an
    > organized ride that caters to weekend warriors (and not white-belts). Any
    > recommendations or experiences in the area welcomed.
    >
    > Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I ask
    > because we're travelling light and lids take up precious room....
    >
    > Cheers
    > Gary

    From Marla:

    Tuesday, November 29, 2005
    The Rare and Elusive Costa Rican Singletrack
    Been hanging out with a local pro mountain biker down here in Costa Rica.

    "Rom" has lived here all his life, save the first year or two. Here on
    the southern tip of the Nicoya Penisula in Pachote, a tiny village
    alongside the estuary that feeds into the Bahia de Ballera.

    At this year's La Ruta, Rom placed 12th. I easily spotted him at last
    year's race. There aren't too many 6 foot blond haired Ticos. Rom has
    just started getting into race promotion in the area, and he has one
    coming up this weekend where he's trying to attract the big racing teams
    and maybe some foreigners.

    For the past few weeks, Rom has been showing me all the cool places to
    ride, all the while coaching me on the various trees and critters along
    the way. Waterfalls, secluded beaches, deep and dark primary forests,
    views from the top of peaks that rival any in the Bay Area.

    But only accessible on what we gringos would call 'fire roads'. Pretty
    rutted, eroded, steep and overgrown fire roads, but still technically
    not quite singletrack.

    I had to explain to one of the best mountain bikers in the country what
    singletrack is. He simply couldn't fathom that you can build a narrow
    trail onto a ridiculously steep slope, and still make it up in your
    middle chainring. I told him about the twisting, snaking ride you get as
    you corner every tree, and pump every roller. Vines to duck and kickers
    to hit can be built into the design.

    Rom's smile grew as I gushed.

    On the mainland up near the Arenal volcano, I've heard there is some
    good riding on the hiking and cow trails. But they can be quite muddy 9
    months out of the year so the singletrack season is brief.

    Rom is excited about the idea of singletrack coming to the Nicoya
    penisula. It's still jungly and full of wildlife, but a lot drier. I
    assured Rom that if the trails are built, they will come.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  15. Bill Sornson wrote:
    > small change wrote:
    >
    >>Zilla wrote:
    >>
    >>>And you have room to pack other stuff, let alone
    >>>your bikes, on trips? I need lessons from you!
    >>>I have 3 - 8, 6, 3 yo.
    >>>

    >>mitch leaves his kids at home. Our solution was the flat bed trailer.

    > Bungee 'em down tight? <eg>

    Yes, but make sure to also use a little duck tape or they'll make a high
    pitched squealing sound whenever you go over 60 mph.
    _____
    Slack

  16. When I went in January I wanted to ride, but when I saw how wet it was
    and how much other stuff there is to do, all notions of riding left my
    head.

    Moon Handbooks has a great guide to Costa Rica. Decent maps and lots
    of info on local stuff. Check out the cavernes in Venado. Definitely
    a memorable experience.

    Bring a gps if you're planning on driving around there. All of their
    maps suck.

    "GWood" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Will be visiting the area around the lake and volcano in late January. Have
    > heard about great rides nearby, but have no details on how to get in on
    > them.
    >
    > We will not be taking bikes, but would definitely take pedals and shoes if
    > we can find any rides close by. So we'd need rentals and a guide, or an
    > organized ride that caters to weekend warriors (and not white-belts). Any
    > recommendations or experiences in the area welcomed.
    >
    > Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I ask
    > because we're travelling light and lids take up precious room....
    >
    > Cheers
    > Gary

  17. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    Paladin wrote:

    Here's the outfit I was referring to. Not sure how close they are to
    where you're gonna be.

    They're on Osa Peninsula, Called Spicy Tire. 815-235-9307 Number might
    be old.

    A good bet for history and general info might be the book, "Costa Rica:
    The Ecotraveller's Wildlife Guide: by Les Beletsky.

    hth, and bring back pictures/videos.

    CDB

  18. GWood

    GWood Guest

    You got it. Appreciate the info.
    Caveat : Main focus of trip is to windsurf Lake Arenal and see turtle
    hatching at the coast. Biking is reserved for our "off" days, of which I
    hope there will be a few.

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Paladin wrote:
    >
    > Here's the outfit I was referring to. Not sure how close they are to
    > where you're gonna be.
    >
    > They're on Osa Peninsula, Called Spicy Tire. 815-235-9307 Number might
    > be old.
    >
    > A good bet for history and general info might be the book, "Costa Rica:
    > The Ecotraveller's Wildlife Guide: by Les Beletsky.
    >
    > hth, and bring back pictures/videos.
    >
    > CDB

  19. There are many routes near Arenal Volcano, but also near Irazu and
    Turrialba Volcanoes south of San Jose. Singletrack can be found near
    Arenal, San Mateo and in the Los Santos area of Costa Rica. There is
    also some singletrack near Ciudad Colon.

    Lava Tours operates trips in these and other areas in Costa Rica.

    Cheers,

    Carlos Cardona
    http://www.lava-tours.com

    GWood ha escrito: