Rides around Arenal, Costa Rica ?

GWood

Guest
Will be visiting the area around the lake and volcano in late January. Have
heard about great rides nearby, but have no details on how to get in on
them.

We will not be taking bikes, but would definitely take pedals and shoes if
we can find any rides close by. So we'd need rentals and a guide, or an
organized ride that caters to weekend warriors (and not white-belts). Any
recommendations or experiences in the area welcomed.

Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I ask
because we're travelling light and lids take up precious room....

Cheers
Gary

> Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I ask
> because we're travelling light and lids take up precious room....

Eeewww! Bring your own. They really don't take up that much room
considering you can stuff the inside of them with other stuff.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

GWood wrote:

> Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I ask
> because we're travelling light and lids take up precious room....

They "rent" pot down there?!?

Bill "slow afternoon" S.

You obviously do NOT have kids. :)

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I ask
> > because we're travelling light and lids take up precious room....
> >

> Eeewww! Bring your own. They really don't take up that much room
> considering you can stuff the inside of them with other stuff.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

Bill, you're dating yourself. And not in the "social" sense.

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]>

> > Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I ask
> > because we're travelling light and lids take up precious room....

> They "rent" pot down there?!?

And you have room to pack other stuff, let alone
your bikes, on trips? I need lessons from you!
I have 3 - 8, 6, 3 yo.

--

Zilla wrote:
> And you have room to pack other stuff, let alone
> your bikes, on trips? I need lessons from you!
> I have 3 - 8, 6, 3 yo.

mitch leaves his kids at home. Our solution was the flat bed trailer.

Zilla wrote:
> And you have room to pack other stuff, let alone
> your bikes, on trips? I need lessons from you!
> I have 3 - 8, 6, 3 yo.

I am an overpacker. I always bring more than I need. It's all in how
you fold and place the items. I never had lessons on how to pack a
backpack, but my loads are so level I could climb Everest without a wobble.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

GWood wrote:
> "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]>
>
>>> Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I
>>> ask because we're travelling light and lids take up precious
>>> room....

>> They "rent" pot down there?!?

> Bill, you're dating yourself. And not in the "social" sense.

The kids don't call 'em lids any more? Too busy pulling their shorts up I
guess!

Bill "dag nabbit" S.

small change wrote:
> Zilla wrote:
>> And you have room to pack other stuff, let alone
>> your bikes, on trips? I need lessons from you!
>> I have 3 - 8, 6, 3 yo.
>>

> mitch leaves his kids at home. Our solution was the flat bed trailer.

Bungee 'em down tight? <eg>

"GWood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Will be visiting the area around the lake and volcano in late January.
> Have
> heard about great rides nearby, but have no details on how to get in on
> them.
>
> We will not be taking bikes, but would definitely take pedals and shoes if
> we can find any rides close by. So we'd need rentals and a guide, or an
> organized ride that caters to weekend warriors (and not white-belts). Any
> recommendations or experiences in the area welcomed.
>
> Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I ask
> because we're travelling light and lids take up precious room....
>
> Cheers
> Gary

There's a guide service I know of made up of an American family that lives
fairly primitively and gives what are reported to be awesome tours of really
cool mtnbiking. I'll try to find info at home to post a link for you.

CDB

"GWood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Will be visiting the area around the lake and volcano in late January.
> Have
> heard about great rides nearby, but have no details on how to get in on
> them.
>
> We will not be taking bikes, but would definitely take pedals and shoes if
> we can find any rides close by. So we'd need rentals and a guide, or an
> organized ride that caters to weekend warriors (and not white-belts). Any
> recommendations or experiences in the area welcomed.
>
> Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I ask
> because we're travelling light and lids take up precious room....
>
> Cheers
> Gary

Belize may be more primitive than Costa Rica but here is my experience from
last year. Last year I went to Belize and spent some time in the Mountain
Pine Ridge Forest Reserve. The resort had mountain bikes for rent, they were
80's vintage rusted bikes that weighed 40+ pounds and had not seen any
attention in years. My point is, it would surprise me if the rental bikes
would be very good. I should have brought a bike with me. Apparently this
resort, Five Sisters Lodge, gets a number of mountain biking clubs and they
all bring there own bikes.

In Belize tons of fireroads, the potential to use the old Mayan Roads as
single track is huge. Endless miles of singletrack connecting the remote
villages.

GWood wrote:
> Will be visiting the area around the lake and volcano in late January. Have
> heard about great rides nearby, but have no details on how to get in on
> them.
>
> We will not be taking bikes, but would definitely take pedals and shoes if
> we can find any rides close by. So we'd need rentals and a guide, or an
> organized ride that caters to weekend warriors (and not white-belts). Any
> recommendations or experiences in the area welcomed.
>
> Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I ask
> because we're travelling light and lids take up precious room....
>
> Cheers
> Gary

From Marla:

Tuesday, November 29, 2005
The Rare and Elusive Costa Rican Singletrack
Been hanging out with a local pro mountain biker down here in Costa Rica.

"Rom" has lived here all his life, save the first year or two. Here on
the southern tip of the Nicoya Penisula in Pachote, a tiny village
alongside the estuary that feeds into the Bahia de Ballera.

At this year's La Ruta, Rom placed 12th. I easily spotted him at last
year's race. There aren't too many 6 foot blond haired Ticos. Rom has
just started getting into race promotion in the area, and he has one
coming up this weekend where he's trying to attract the big racing teams
and maybe some foreigners.

For the past few weeks, Rom has been showing me all the cool places to
ride, all the while coaching me on the various trees and critters along
the way. Waterfalls, secluded beaches, deep and dark primary forests,
views from the top of peaks that rival any in the Bay Area.

But only accessible on what we gringos would call 'fire roads'. Pretty
rutted, eroded, steep and overgrown fire roads, but still technically
not quite singletrack.

I had to explain to one of the best mountain bikers in the country what
singletrack is. He simply couldn't fathom that you can build a narrow
trail onto a ridiculously steep slope, and still make it up in your
middle chainring. I told him about the twisting, snaking ride you get as
you corner every tree, and pump every roller. Vines to duck and kickers
to hit can be built into the design.

Rom's smile grew as I gushed.

On the mainland up near the Arenal volcano, I've heard there is some
good riding on the hiking and cow trails. But they can be quite muddy 9
months out of the year so the singletrack season is brief.

Rom is excited about the idea of singletrack coming to the Nicoya
penisula. It's still jungly and full of wildlife, but a lot drier. I
assured Rom that if the trails are built, they will come.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Bill Sornson wrote:
> small change wrote:
>
>>Zilla wrote:
>>
>>>And you have room to pack other stuff, let alone
>>>your bikes, on trips? I need lessons from you!
>>>I have 3 - 8, 6, 3 yo.
>>>

>>mitch leaves his kids at home. Our solution was the flat bed trailer.

> Bungee 'em down tight? <eg>

Yes, but make sure to also use a little duck tape or they'll make a high
pitched squealing sound whenever you go over 60 mph.
_____
Slack

When I went in January I wanted to ride, but when I saw how wet it was
and how much other stuff there is to do, all notions of riding left my
head.

Moon Handbooks has a great guide to Costa Rica. Decent maps and lots
of info on local stuff. Check out the cavernes in Venado. Definitely
a memorable experience.

Bring a gps if you're planning on driving around there. All of their
maps suck.

"GWood" <[email protected]> writes:

> Will be visiting the area around the lake and volcano in late January. Have
> heard about great rides nearby, but have no details on how to get in on
> them.
>
> We will not be taking bikes, but would definitely take pedals and shoes if
> we can find any rides close by. So we'd need rentals and a guide, or an
> organized ride that caters to weekend warriors (and not white-belts). Any
> recommendations or experiences in the area welcomed.
>
> Would you take your own lid or accept one from a rental outlet? I ask
> because we're travelling light and lids take up precious room....
>
> Cheers
> Gary

Paladin wrote:

Here's the outfit I was referring to. Not sure how close they are to
where you're gonna be.

They're on Osa Peninsula, Called Spicy Tire. 815-235-9307 Number might
be old.

A good bet for history and general info might be the book, "Costa Rica:
The Ecotraveller's Wildlife Guide: by Les Beletsky.

hth, and bring back pictures/videos.

CDB

You got it. Appreciate the info.
Caveat : Main focus of trip is to windsurf Lake Arenal and see turtle
hatching at the coast. Biking is reserved for our "off" days, of which I
hope there will be a few.

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Paladin wrote:
>
> Here's the outfit I was referring to. Not sure how close they are to
> where you're gonna be.
>
> They're on Osa Peninsula, Called Spicy Tire. 815-235-9307 Number might
> be old.
>
> A good bet for history and general info might be the book, "Costa Rica:
> The Ecotraveller's Wildlife Guide: by Les Beletsky.
>
> hth, and bring back pictures/videos.
>
> CDB

There are many routes near Arenal Volcano, but also near Irazu and
Turrialba Volcanoes south of San Jose. Singletrack can be found near
Arenal, San Mateo and in the Los Santos area of Costa Rica. There is
also some singletrack near Ciudad Colon.

Lava Tours operates trips in these and other areas in Costa Rica.

Cheers,

Carlos Cardona
http://www.lava-tours.com

GWood ha escrito: