Rides in Daphne, Al

Jason Jouet

Guest
Heading to the Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay for the Holidays 12/24-1/1. Anybody know any rides/clubs
in the area? Daphne, Mobile, Bay Minette, Gulf Shores, Point Clear, etc. thanks, Jason

Jason Jouet wrote:

> Heading to the Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay for the Holidays 12/24-1/1. Anybody know any
> rides/clubs in the area? Daphne, Mobile, Bay Minette, Gulf Shores, Point Clear, etc. thanks, Jason

There is a trail in Daphne (don't know its name), and I don't know how well it's suited for bike
riding (I ride lame & tame). Spouse and I had just started to ride to this trail when it began to
rain, so we turned back just as we had gotten to the trail head. Sorry thing is, we'd never been on
this trail, and we still don't know about it.

Anywho, this trail can be found by turning right off of (the main) Highway 98 onto "Scenic 98" in
Daphne at the traffic light located just before coming to the Kentucky Fried Chicken. This traffic
light is just a little south of the Super Walmart (on east side of Main 98). There's a BP gas
station at this intersection, as well, along with a video store. IIRC, the Daphne Community Center
(where the old walmart was located) is just before this intersection, too. The path is located about
1/4- to 1/2-mile farther on the right on Scenic 98 past the intersection.

In addition, there is a bike path that runs from the intersection of Main 98 and Scenic 98 all the
way to Daphne. This paved path has a grass median between it and the road.

Also, go to the Pier (on Mobile Bay) in Fairhope where one of the village's parks is. There is a
bike/ped path/trail that begins here and continues well into Point Clear and farther along "Scenic
98.". Nearly all of this path is along side the road (scenic 98) with a grass median in between.
Fairly boring if you ask me (?).

Can't think of anything in Gulf Shores except to say the Beach Road (and Hwy 59?) was built with
generous bicycle lanes on each side of the 5-lane road. The speed limit for cars along the Beach
Road is 45 mph (IIRC?) except when in town.

I believe there may also be a bike path along the Intercoastal way, as well, between Orange Beach
and Gulf Shores (not too far from the south side of the bridge past the amusement park?), but I'm
not sure about this.

Oh, there is a nice little (state or federal?) park on Highway 98 between Fairhope & Foley just
after County Road 27 and before the Fish River Bridge. I don't know if they allow bikes; I sort
of doubt it.

HTH and happy riding!

Skyhooks hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

"reply to" address munged -- read line above for correct addy.

Yes. There are some good rides that start out in Fairhope and there are some others. Check with the
folks at Cadence 120 bike shop on Mobile's western shore and they can give you all the latest
information. Ask for John and tell him hello for me. BTW, some of the best cycling and nicest riders
are to be found on the Eastern Shore. Try to hook up with Mark Hale. He'll talk your ear off but he
is friendly and knows every road. Ask him about riding with Sean Kelly up in Birmingham.

Have fun!

"Jason Jouet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Heading to the Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay for the Holidays 12/24-1/1. Anybody know any
> rides/clubs in the area? Daphne, Mobile, Bay Minette, Gulf Shores, Point Clear, etc. thanks, Jason

"Skyhooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jason Jouet wrote:
> >

> Also, go to the Pier (on Mobile Bay) in Fairhope where one of the village's parks is. There is a
> bike/ped path/trail that begins here and continues well into Point Clear and farther along "Scenic
> 98.". Nearly all of this path is along side the road (scenic 98) with a grass median in between.
> Fairly boring if you ask me (?).
>
> Can't think of anything in Gulf Shores except to say the Beach Road (and Hwy 59?) was built with
> generous bicycle lanes on each side of the 5-lane road. The speed limit for cars along the Beach
> Road is 45 mph (IIRC?) except when in town.

yes.. and there are ample bike lanes throughout the state park roads.. but be very wary of the sand
that blows across the road between the State Park hotel and Orange Beach. My wife almost killed
herself when she encountered some this summer. For the most part you can go from Ala Point all the
way down to Ft Morgan without much trouble, especially early in the morning.

Jim Weeks Austin, Tx