Rides in Phoenix, AZ?

Discussion in 'Bike Connections' started by Renae, Aug 10, 2003.

1. wildearth2001

wildearth2001 New Member

I am from Tucson where we have plently of nice climbs (Gates Pass, Mt Lemmon, Mt Graham and Kitt Peak, just to name the big ones) but does anybody know of any good climbs other than South Mountain near the phoenix area? The closer to 101/Shea the better, but If you know any anywhere in the area please tell me. I am a fit young rider looking for some nice challenges when I am up in the valley (about one weekend a month, and that doesnt include trips for races). Thanks

2. SLS

SLS New Member

Sorry I haven't tried this one yet - but I hear the one at Bartlet Lake is a good one (It could be Lake Pleasant but I am sure it is Bartlett)
    You could ride the Tour de Phoenix route found on www.PBAA.com
    , or ride with the Bicycle Ranch on Saturday (somewhat hilly) www.bicycleranch.com located @ 101 & Frank Lloyd Wright. If all else fails ride with them on one Saturday & some of the riders that live in that area will be able to give you some other good areas to ride. Hope this helps

3. Steve Meachum

Steve Meachum New Member

I live in Ahwatukee but I only ride trails. If you decide to give off road a try I'm always looking for someone to ride with.
    I don,t check in here much so if you want to beat up on an old man you can reach me at [email protected]

4. larry barr

larry barr New Member

SLS is correct, Bartlett Lake makes for some good climbing. It is not Mt. Lemon, but still very good. The Bicycle Ranch ride goes up there and is a good group to ride with.

Another good direction to head is out the Beeline towards Payson or the road to Saguaro Lake, which is off the Beeline. There is a 16% grade in Fountain Hills that is always fun. I think the name of the road is Golden Eagle. It is right off Palisades Rd.

Hope this helps.

5. wildearth2001

wildearth2001 New Member

Yeah, I found that one by fountain hills quite by accident. I knew that there were a few rollers over there and I went for a ride. I hit that one and a few others around it. Not terribly long but if you make a nice loop thru the area and do some repeats, it could make for a good workout. Thanks, I will have to check those ones by bartlett out. I knew about Humbolt but that dirt section to the base turns me away, but I just looked on a topo of bartlett and it looks like a nice one, and the USPS team rode thru there back in January-February and also last spring, so it has to at least be a nice ride, if nothing else.

6. larry barr

larry barr New Member

A little farther out is the ride to Canyon Lake. The ride is a traditional two lane mountain road with switchbacks climbing up. I would recommend riding early so that you have fewer cars to deal with. The ride is challenging and the scenery is spectacular.

7. shming123

shming123 New Member

i agree that the AZ weather is awesome. I have been out there once, and compared to Southern Wisconsin here, that is awesome. The humidity here is close to 100% in the summer, and when it is 85 degrees or hotter, it is very hot and muggy. Anyways, i am going to transfer colleges to Phoenix this year. I can't wait to bike and not have to worry about rain as much! and snow, etc..

8. sirtainty

sirtainty New Member

hey i am thinking of moving to tucson for a while to do some training--road bike. how are the roads there? how do you deal with the heat? i am from maine, where it is impossible to cycle now(winter). you can get a few days in here and there...i laughed when a person said that 45 degrees was too cold for cycling. are you kidding me? 35 degrees is NICE in maine this time of year by comparison. try 7 degrees sometime. the problem is the snow, the bitter cold days, the lack of road space. pretty hard to do 400 a week in this crap. tucson HAS to be better than this.

9. wildearth2001

wildearth2001 New Member

The roads here are great. The NW side of town, as well as the E side (near MT Lemmon and Sabino Canyon area) all have great roads to ride on, many are hilly. Once outside of town the roads are great in all directions. You can take SR-83 south toward sonoita (very hilly). There are many great rides on the far west side of town, in and around Saguaro National Park West. Avra Valley (extreme NW) has some nice road that are very flat. ANother option are the State Highway system roads north of town. Basically what I am saying is you wont be disapointed, especially if you like to go on longer rides. If you like climbing we have plenty of long climbs in the area. The heat is tricky, and the sun is worse. The best way to deal with it is to get up and start riding early, before the sun rises (it rises around 5:30am so leave around 5am) and be back before it tops over 100degrees (usually be back home or car by 9:30). Plenty of water, sunscreen and sometimes even a lose fitting long sleeve coolmax jersey to protect from the sun.

10. tomdavis80

tomdavis80 New Member

It is better than what you've got, that's no question. Of course, there are some potholes here and there, but they're not bad enough for you to go into them and flip your bike usually. But there are certainly a few that will demolish your wheel and flip you but I haven't hit any of those. With the heat, if you tan easily, you probably can ride outside with a short sleeve jersey without any problems but one thing is for sure, you will dehydrate very quickly the first few weeks you ride down here. Once your body gets acclimated to the heat, you'll find that Maine cold is too freaking cold, lol. The wonderful benefit of Tucson is that they have bike lanes and routes up the wazoo and have some of the longest climbs you can find anywhere such as Mt. Lemmon (at least 40 minutes to climb at your fastest usually, most training rides take about 1 hour, 1 hour and 15 minutes) and Gates Pass is brutal with its changing pitch and the backside of Gates is nasty with changing pitches up to 12%. (frontside, about 20-25 minutes to climb, backside, about 15-30 minutes depending on how strong the cyclist is).

You'll probably love Tucson if you stay in it long enough.

11. wildearth2001

wildearth2001 New Member

I will elaborate on the climbs here.
    Mt Lemmon: Currently 11 miles at 6%, which takes me about 45-50mins (though the record is 34mins), but when they finish the construction and reopen the road to bikes all the way to the top, it will be 28miles at 5.5%.

Gates Pass (back side): 2.5 miles at 7% average, last mile 10%, last 1/4mile 12%. It takes me just under 10mins from Old Tucson to the top.

Kitt Peak: Its about an hour drive from town. The road is closed to car traffic until 9am, so most people go early and get the road mostly to themselfs (some of the observatory traffic is going down), and I have never heard of anybody being stopped riding it when it is closed in the morning. Its 20k (12.4miles) of 7% that never lets up, there are not downhills and the levelist section is 5.5% and the steepest is 8%. Very daunting but fun climb with great views at the top. Also be sure to take a tour of the telescopes somtime. Climb takes me about an hour.

Mt Graham: About 2hours from town but worth it. 20miles of 7% which endless switchbacks and amazing terrain. Very nice climb. Takes me between 2 and 2.5 hours to ride.

12. sirtainty

sirtainty New Member

thanks for the info. i still have concerns about the heat especially in the summer months, though i do tan easily. gotta say though that cycling at 5:30am? i don't know if my body understands 5:30am. i'd rather tough out the heat and start at maybe 8. my attraction to tucson apart from the weather is the cost of living.