Rides, Old & New

RedHotIron

Dec 15, 2006
How much difference would be noticed in a '90 steel $600 road bike & a current steel bike of comparable price ( price adjusted for inflation).?

RedHotIron said:
How much difference would be noticed in a '90 steel $600 road bike & a current steel bike of comparable price ( price adjusted for inflation).?
That's one hell of a general question. What type of units would you like the "difference" measured in?

Quality steel frames have not changed much since '90, but components have improved quite a bit.

Well, actually the correct units are dimensionless, and the answer is that the difference between the old bike and the new bike is 7, unless you ride on a windy day, in which case the difference can be as little as 3.8.

alienator said:
Well, actually the correct units are dimensionless, and the answer is that the difference between the old bike and the new bike is 7, unless you ride on a windy day, in which case the difference can be as little as 3.8.
ROTFL. Excellent Alienator. :D

In fact i've seen this discussion on other forums, so i don't think it's as abstruse or comical as it's being made to sound here. It's like discussing the difference between an aluminum bike & steel bike, for example.

Scotty_Dog said:
That's one hell of a general question. What type of units would you like the "difference" measured in?

Quality steel frames have not changed much since '90, but components have improved quite a bit.
Very true. I ride only steel. Not much difference in quality, or ride, all good IMO, but oh the components! Curious, what were you thinking about buying for $600.00 new? I don't see much out there with "good components" for that price.