Rides Outside of Melbourne

Timbo77

Nov 29, 2004
Hi All !

This is my first post on this site. Am getting fed up :mad: with having to tackle the Melbourne traffic most weeknights and weekends down Beach Rd on the way to black rock. Not to mention the endless traffic lights etc.

Does anyone know of any great places to ride on weekends out of the city. Maybe regional Victoria. Would be great to get out of the rat race for some decent non interupted riding.

Cheers

:)

Well, if it wasn't summer I'd suggest the Great Ocean Road.

I haven't actually done any riding on it yet, though I plan to tour along it and then up through central vic in January.

But for now, I'm sure there are some old highways that have been made obsolete in the last few decades by new highways / freeways replacing their route. I'm just not a driver so I can't tell you which :).

David

Thanks Dave,

Great Ocean Rd could be a good option when the summer craze dies down a little. Am heading over near Echuca this weekend and will take the bike. Will be sure to let you know if there are any decent areas to ride.

Would be great if there was a listing provided by cycling each club within Victoria of their favourite areas to ride.

Do you ride often ? How many KM's week do you currently do ?

Later

Tim

Timbo77 said:
Thanks Dave,

Great Ocean Rd could be a good option when the summer craze dies down a little. Am heading over near Echuca this weekend and will take the bike. Will be sure to let you know if there are any decent areas to ride.

Would be great if there was a listing provided by cycling each club within Victoria of their favourite areas to ride.

Do you ride often ? How many KM's week do you currently do ?

Later

Tim
Mt Dandenong tourist road has no traffic lights, Out along Maroondah Highway, Lilydale, Kinglake, Whittlesea, Yarra Glen, Healesville, Monbulk, Warburton, obviously you have traffic, but not the same as like Beach road or around the city. The roads out to these places are pretty good as well, pretty safe.

Thanks for the heads up MikeyOz.

Will look into those.

Thanks again!

Tim

MikeyOz said:
Mt Dandenong tourist road has no traffic lights, Out along Maroondah Highway, Lilydale, Kinglake, Whittlesea, Yarra Glen, Healesville, Monbulk, Warburton, obviously you have traffic, but not the same as like Beach road or around the city. The roads out to these places are pretty good as well, pretty safe.
Yep - very nice and pretty quiet and not too far out of town.

Careful in Echuca - it will be HOT!!!

Probably up around 40 degrees. I was in Yarrawonga last weekend and I was glad I was behind a boat and not on a bike!

Yeah, she's normally pretty warm up that way. Originally from Shepparton. Hence being fed up with Melbourne Traffic.

Do a fair amount of riders tackle the rides just outside Melbourne during the weeknights ?

Will let you know on Monday how it goes ( if the heat doesnt get me first !).:eek:

Have a good one !

There are heaps of good/challenging rides in and around the Dandenong/Yarra Ranges... The traffic gets a bit heavy during peak time traffic hours (local traffic, most cars are quite respectful) on some of the main roads but there are many routes that can be found with very little traffic. Traffic lights are virtually non-existent around these parts. There are roundabouts here and there, but that's about it. You can catch a train from Melbourne to Belgrave and it will take you about an hour one way.

A good loop that I suggest is Belgrave-Emerald-Monbulk-Olinda-and back down Dandenong Tourist Route to Ferntree Gully where you can catch a train back from there or head back up the hill to Belgrave. If you want to cut out Ferntree Gully you can turn off the Dandenong Tourist Route to Belgrave-Ferny Creek road for a very fast downhill section that will lead you into Belgrave. That loop will be about a 45-50k journey with some challenging climbs and fast downhills along the way.

I've also discovered a great ride (riding mountain bike) on both road and track. I go from Belgrave to Gembrook then hit the 4 wheel drive tracks and other roads in Bunyip State Park. After getting a good work out in the park, head back to Belgrave the way you came. This can be 80-100k (or longer) ride and you will get abit of everything if you decide to ride a mountain bike.

Enjoy!

New to Melbourne, so I'm just wondering about the situation with taking your bike on the train. Any special procedures or do you just get on with it? Thanks.

blove8 said:
There are heaps of good/challenging rides in and around the Dandenong/Yarra Ranges...
...snip...

I second the Dandenongs!!!
Nice climbs, very scenic, and not too bad traffic-wise.
Mate, I'm jealous - I moved from Melbourne 4 years ago (-> Boston) and so I'm faced with snow/ice/slush/salt from now until the start of the race season in March :(

madge said:
New to Melbourne, so I'm just wondering about the situation with taking your bike on the train. Any special procedures or do you just get on with it? Thanks.
"- Bicycles and surfboards may be carried free on trains. Passenger travelling with bicycles or surfboards are requested to avoid using peak hour trains where possible."

http://www.connexmelbourne.com.au/travel_info/index.asp?thm=37&evn=81

I've been told that people with bikes should stay in the far front or rear cars during peak hour.

Since you're new to the area, I highly recommend that you check out 'Critical Mass' in Melbourne. It happens the last Friday of every month and starts at the State Library on Swanston St @ 5:30 PM.

Melbourne Critical Mass Site : http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/cm-melb/

merubeyurubu said:
I second the Dandenongs!!!
Nice climbs, very scenic, and not too bad traffic-wise.
Mate, I'm jealous - I moved from Melbourne 4 years ago (-> Boston) and so I'm faced with snow/ice/slush/salt from now until the start of the race season in March :(
I don't envy you mate. Just think, I have had to go thru what you are going thru now for the past 30 years!!! :eek: This is my first winter away from winter. I deserve a break! :p

As difficult as it may be, enjoy the snow/ice/slush/salt. :)

Which roads on the Dandenongs?

The last time I went up the Tourist Rd, the traffic scared the **** out of me after 400m, and I turned around and went home. :(

531Aussie said:
Which roads on the Dandenongs?

The last time I went up the Tourist Rd, the traffic scared the **** out of me after 400m, and I turned around and went home. :(
Belgrave-Gembrook Rd, Emerald-Monbulk Rd, Dave's Hill Rd and Olinda-Monbulk Rd are all nice and I have never run into much traffic on these roads. Depends on the time of day re: traffic I guess. Tourist Road wasn't all that bad on Christmas Day (that's the last day I rode that route) but I suspect that it can get overrun at times.

see map here: http://www.bluedandenongs.com.au/home folder/images/drmap.gif

great, thanks.

I really miss the "mountains". About ten years ago, I used to go there 2 or 3 times a week in the warmer months

Timbo77 said:
Hi All !

This is my first post on this site. Am getting fed up :mad: with having to tackle the Melbourne traffic most weeknights and weekends down Beach Rd on the way to black rock. Not to mention the endless traffic lights etc.

Does anyone know of any great places to ride on weekends out of the city. Maybe regional Victoria. Would be great to get out of the rat race for some decent non interupted riding.

Cheers

:)

checkout the BR rides from Doncaster Shoppingtown out to St Andrews.
Grreat mix of hilly/downhill/Flat and caf stop at halfway and wide mix of riders depending upo who turns up. we all regather at the top of the pointy bits :D
lok in aus.cafe basically 7:20am every Sunday morning at the corner of Doncaster and Tram Rds under the tower (north-east corner). 70-90km roundtrip depending upon which variation takes out fancy

cheers
FD

I just did the SBR hill ride through Doncaster/templestowe/bulleen, etc,

TOUGH!!

While we are on the subject of (amongst other places) the Dandenongs, don't overlook the country just the other side - Sylvan, Wandin etc. There is virtually zero traffic, rolling hills, easily accessible from Lilydale via the Warburton rail trail or Belgrave via Emerald or Monbulk.

Also look closely at your Melways and you will see all sorts of great side roads that can link you betwwen places within the 'Nongs: eg One Tree Hill road, Perrins Creek Road, Glenfern Road. All sorts of alternatives to Burwood Highway & the Tourist Road.