Rides Outside of Melbourne

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Timbo77, Nov 30, 2004.

1. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

Great stuff.

As I said above, the last time I went up the Tourist Rd, I crapped me pants and went home.

I really miss going up, and I actually have dreams about riding up there.

2. wongaga

wongaga New Member

Me too - I lived in Sassafras for 17 years & enjoyed great cycling. Only problem is a f***ing great hill whichever way you come home from every ride! Keeps you strong.
    The Tourist road gets really busy on sunny weekends - go up the Mountain Highway instead.

3. blove8

blove8 New Member

Yeah! My last ride was down from Selby to Upper Ferntree Gully, up the Tourist road (where I had someone chuck a cup of ice at me and miss.. but that's another post ;) ) to the lookout and then back down to Montrose. From there I road around to Sylvan Reservior where I took a nice long gravel road (I forgot the name) up to Olinda-Monbulk road and then a nice ride through Emerald and back home to Selby.

It was a great ride but a bit longer and more climbing than I had planned. The traffic got a bit on the heavy side over near Montrose and Lilydale.

I didn't bring enough grub to keep me going and ended up bonking. I only had 40 cents with me but stopped in Emerald and bought a 30 cent lolly that got me home.

Planning to leave for the Alps this weekend... Anyone have any must sees while I ride my bike around in the mountains?

4. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

There's nothin' like sitting at the lookout and looking out over the whole of Melbourne when you've just busted your guts to get up the hill.

The view kinda reminds me of Homer looking out over Springfield

5. xbgs351

xbgs351 New Member

Just about anywhere outside of Melbourne is good for riding.

6. blove8

blove8 New Member

word... some good rides in melbourne too

7. SomeGuy

SomeGuy New Member

I tend to go for the trails along the creeks. No lights or cars to worry about, and nice surroundings. You just have to watch out when the creeks flood :p

8. WSSS

WSSS New Member

Hey melbournians i can get you cheap bike stuff, just name the product you want. ZIPP's, FIZIK, and the works, goos deals for sure.

9. flynn

flynn New Member

Got a great ride if you need a challenge and some hills. Drive the Princes freeway to the Drouin exit and take it and park at the Robin Hood Pub left from teh exit ramp. Get on your bike with food and drinks and prepare for a good 2hr round trip with some good hill work. Great scenery and views as road follows ridgeline mostly. Cycle up (nearly all moderate climbing) to Neerim Junction at the summit turn right and follow the signs to Noojee, left at bottom of descent. Follow Noojee - Powelltown Road to whites corner turn left for heard ascent back to Neerim Junction then easy ride downhill for 25km back to Robin Hood. If you are really hard core you can loop through Jindivick as well.

10. markprocter

markprocter New Member

For some good rides in the Dandenongs try the "where to ride" section of South Melbourne bike shop BikeNow - http://www.bikenow.com.au/
    They've got maps and ratings for a few rides which mostly start and finish at Belgrave train station.

11. paddlenpedal

paddlenpedal New Member

I spent some time on the Surf Coast this summer and had some great rides, especially after school holidays and midweek if you can manage. The Great Ocean Road has a good shoulder to ride at least as far as Fairhaven and the Barwon Heads rd has a bike lane the whole way. Terrific scenery and some good hills around Anglesea. Geelong to Anglesea has bike lanes by both routes via Torquay and Freshwater creek.