ridiculous technical questions day

Ryan Cousineau

Guest
1) I went out for an MTB ride yesterday, and a chain incident culminated
in the chain getting stuck between the cassette and the spokes, utterly
destroying the plastic spoke guard in the process (the chain came back
out no problem with some backpedaling).

Does this prove the effectiveness of spoke guards, or their irrelevance?

2) I have committed to buy a Shimano Alfine gearhub for no good reasons
other than its mechanical neatness, tolerable price, and the magic words
"Ultegra-grade." In theory, my ultimate excuse will be to use it in my
mud-proof cyclocross bike experiment.

It looks like the thing will go into a wheel which I will then slot into
a late-80s Pinarello road bike. I will use the twist-grip shifter on a
flat bar, and add a clip-on aerobar.

I'm thinking about using some MTB bar ends finish off the bar, and then
sticking some aero-style brake levers (for bullhorn bars) in the ends,
making a sort of pseudo aerobar with bullhorn base setup.

Will the brake levers fit into any existing MTB bar ends? Am I nutty?
Should I just go with flat-bar brake levers and the aerobar? Am I a
loonytune? Any other suggestions for what to do with a bare Alfine hub?

3) the Alfine wheel: I plan to build it up with a deep-section rim,
partly for aero, partly for cyclocross, partly because I am clearly a
nut. Any of those available in a 32h drilling?

4) which anti-turn nuts come in the standard Alfine package?

I thank you for your patience.

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 05:57:19 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
wrote:

>1) I went out for an MTB ride yesterday, and a chain incident culminated
>in the chain getting stuck between the cassette and the spokes, utterly
>destroying the plastic spoke guard in the process (the chain came back
>out no problem with some backpedaling).
>
>Does this prove the effectiveness of spoke guards, or their irrelevance?

[snip]

Dear Ryan,

Are the spokes damaged?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Apr 3, 8:11 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 05:57:19 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >1) I went out for an MTB ride yesterday, and a chain incident culminated
> >in the chain getting stuck between the cassette and the spokes, utterly
> >destroying the plastic spoke guard in the process (the chain came back
> >out no problem with some backpedaling).

> >Does this prove the effectiveness of spoke guards, or their irrelevance?

> [snip]
>
> Dear Ryan,
>
> Are the spokes damaged?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

And/or did the derailleur or hanger get mangled?

Joseph

On Apr 3, 7:57 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> 1) I went out for an MTB ride yesterday, and a chain incident culminated
> in the chain getting stuck between the cassette and the spokes, utterly
> destroying the plastic spoke guard in the process (the chain came back
> out no problem with some backpedaling).
>
> Does this prove the effectiveness of spoke guards, or their irrelevance?
>
> 2) I have committed to buy a Shimano Alfine gearhub for no good reasons
> other than its mechanical neatness, tolerable price, and the magic words
> "Ultegra-grade." In theory, my ultimate excuse will be to use it in my
> mud-proof cyclocross bike experiment.
>
> It looks like the thing will go into a wheel which I will then slot into
> a late-80s Pinarello road bike. I will use the twist-grip shifter on a
> flat bar, and add a clip-on aerobar.
>
> I'm thinking about using some MTB bar ends finish off the bar, and then
> sticking some aero-style brake levers (for bullhorn bars) in the ends,
> making a sort of pseudo aerobar with bullhorn base setup.
>
> Will the brake levers fit into any existing MTB bar ends? Am I nutty?
> Should I just go with flat-bar brake levers and the aerobar? Am I a
> loonytune? Any other suggestions for what to do with a bare Alfine hub?
>
> 3) the Alfine wheel: I plan to build it up with a deep-section rim,
> partly for aero, partly for cyclocross, partly because I am clearly a
> nut. Any of those available in a 32h drilling?
>
> 4) which anti-turn nuts come in the standard Alfine package?
>
> I thank you for your patience.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau [email protected]://www.wiredcola.com/
> "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
> "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

You are insane.

What about some bars like these:

http://www.rei.com/product/768947

But for a set-up more like what you were thinking, how about a pursuit
bar, or if you want wide, a stoker bar. Those can be had for under $30
and fit bar end brakes fine. More solid that MTB bar-ends too. And of
course plenty of room for your aero bars.

About the wheel, what is the question about 32h? The Shimano pages
says the hubs come in 32 and 36. For a rim, how about a Velocity Deep-
V?

Joseph

Joseph

Ryan Cousineau said:
[...]

The standard fitting kit comes with 2 sets of anti rotation washers. Blue-green for vertical and white-silver for horizontal.
Dan Burkhart
www.boomerbicycle.ca

Ryan Cousineau said:
[...]

On your number 3: I would consider Alex Rims Crostini T1.2 it is not deep at 18 mm but it is offset for a more durable build even with Alfine hub it likely would be dishless and has an 17.5 internal width for handling wider tires.
If you must go higher profile, Alex Rims has a 30 mm deep G6000 with 17 mm internal width or Velocity has 30 mm deep DeepV with a narrower internal dimension. All of them are available in 32 and 36H.

On Apr 3, 8:04 am, daveornee <daveornee.37a...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Ryan Cousineau Wrote:
>
> > 1) I went out for an MTB ride yesterday, and a chain incident
> > culminated
> > in the chain getting stuck between the cassette and the spokes,
> > utterly
> > destroying the plastic spoke guard in the process (the chain came back
> > out no problem with some backpedaling).

> > Does this prove the effectiveness of spoke guards, or their
> > irrelevance?

> > 2) I have committed to buy a Shimano Alfine gearhub for no good
> > reasons
> > other than its mechanical neatness, tolerable price, and the magic
> > words
> > "Ultegra-grade." In theory, my ultimate excuse will be to use it in my
> > mud-proof cyclocross bike experiment.

> > It looks like the thing will go into a wheel which I will then slot
> > into
> > a late-80s Pinarello road bike. I will use the twist-grip shifter on a
> > flat bar, and add a clip-on aerobar.

> > I'm thinking about using some MTB bar ends finish off the bar, and
> > then
> > sticking some aero-style brake levers (for bullhorn bars) in the ends,
> > making a sort of pseudo aerobar with bullhorn base setup.

> > Will the brake levers fit into any existing MTB bar ends? Am I nutty?
> > Should I just go with flat-bar brake levers and the aerobar? Am I a
> > loonytune? Any other suggestions for what to do with a bare Alfine
> > hub?

> > 3) the Alfine wheel: I plan to build it up with a deep-section rim,
> > partly for aero, partly for cyclocross, partly because I am clearly a
> > nut. Any of those available in a 32h drilling?

> > 4) which anti-turn nuts come in the standard Alfine package?

> > I thank you for your patience.

> > --
> > Ryan Cousineau [email protected]://www.wiredcola.com/
> > "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
> > "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

> On your number 3: I would consider Alex Rims Crostini T1.2 it is not
> deep at 18 mm but it is offset for a more durable build even with Alfine
> hub it likely would be dishless and has an 17.5 internal width for
> handling wider tires.
> If you must go higher profile, Alex Rims has a 30 mm deep G6000 with 17
> mm internal width or Velocity has 30 mm deep DeepV with a narrower
> internal dimension.  All of them are available in 32 and 36H.

Unfortunately, the Alex rims you mention aren't distributed to
consumers in north America. I've only seen Crostinis as OEM. However--
just about any mid-weight 500g rim should build up really nice and
robust on a gearhub.

wrote:

>1) I went out for an MTB ride yesterday, and a chain incident culminated
>in the chain getting stuck between the cassette and the spokes, utterly
>destroying the plastic spoke guard in the process (the chain came back
>out no problem with some backpedaling).
>
>Does this prove the effectiveness of spoke guards, or their irrelevance?

Are you *trying* to start a h*lm*t thread?

Jasper

<[email protected]> wrote:

> You are insane.

I was gonna say batshit crazy!

> What about some bars like these:
>
> http://www.rei.com/product/768947

Those are a really nice clean solution. Alternately, some trekking
bars would be worth a shot. Only ~$20 for the Nashbar version, and
they pretty much eliminate my biggest gripe about grippy shifters
which is that they're uncomfortable. Ugly--but nothing's as ugly as
aerobars <shivver>. Plus the outside grip position should be great for
climbing.

http://tinyurl.com/2l3dzd

Alex DA28 is a lightly cheaper and lighter alternative to the Deep V,
although it only comes in black with a machined sidewall. But if
you're gonna go nuts, might as well go pink or brown or fuschia
Velocity.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> 1) I went out for an MTB ride yesterday, and a chain incident culminated
> in the chain getting stuck between the cassette and the spokes, utterly
> destroying the plastic spoke guard in the process (the chain came back
> out no problem with some backpedaling).
>
> Does this prove the effectiveness of spoke guards, or their irrelevance?

I they're effective, but so is a proper derailer adjustment [hehe]

> 2) I have committed to buy a Shimano Alfine gearhub for no good reasons
> other than its mechanical neatness, tolerable price, and the magic words
> "Ultegra-grade." In theory, my ultimate excuse will be to use it in my
> mud-proof cyclocross bike experiment.

Sweet.

> It looks like the thing will go into a wheel which I will then slot into
> a late-80s Pinarello road bike. I will use the twist-grip shifter on a
> flat bar, and add a clip-on aerobar.

barf.

> I'm thinking about using some MTB bar ends finish off the bar, and then
> sticking some aero-style brake levers (for bullhorn bars) in the ends,
> making a sort of pseudo aerobar with bullhorn base setup.

I've got some NIB silver Syntace bullhorns layin' around. I'd sell them
to ya cheap if shipping to Canadia from Atlantia was reasonable.

> Will the brake levers fit into any existing MTB bar ends? Am I nutty?
> Should I just go with flat-bar brake levers and the aerobar? Am I a
> loonytune? Any other suggestions for what to do with a bare Alfine hub?

I, for one, was inspired by the bar-end shifter/Alfine thread. Maybe a
DT shifter could work with the Travel Agent down by the hub or mounted
further down the down tube, somehow. Hell, if your putting aerobars one
there, use a bar-end shifter in the aerobar.

> 3) the Alfine wheel: I plan to build it up with a deep-section rim,
> partly for aero, partly for cyclocross, partly because I am clearly a
> nut. Any of those available in a 32h drilling?

Velocity Deep-Vs come in 32h. I don't know if that's deep enough. If
so, choose your colors wisely.

AS someone who just got Campy shifters going to my Tiagra and 600
derailers, I definitely want to see this abomination when it's done.

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.

On Apr 3, 9:27 pm, "Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> > 1) I went out for an MTB ride yesterday, and a chain incident culminated
> > in the chain getting stuck between the cassette and the spokes, utterly
> > destroying the plastic spoke guard in the process (the chain came back
> > out no problem with some backpedaling).

> > Does this prove the effectiveness of spoke guards, or their irrelevance?

> I they're effective, but so is a proper derailer adjustment [hehe]
>
> > 2) I have committed to buy a Shimano Alfine gearhub for no good reasons
> > other than its mechanical neatness, tolerable price, and the magic words
> > "Ultegra-grade." In theory, my ultimate excuse will be to use it in my
> > mud-proof cyclocross bike experiment.

> Sweet.
>
> > It looks like the thing will go into a wheel which I will then slot into
> > a late-80s Pinarello road bike. I will use the twist-grip shifter on a
> > flat bar, and add a clip-on aerobar.

> barf.

Make it a hurl if you add a spandex rear wheel fairing and some color-
blok shorts! 80s...tri-style!

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in
et]:

> 1) I went out for an MTB ride yesterday, and a chain
> incident culminated in the chain getting stuck between the
> cassette and the spokes, utterly destroying the plastic
> spoke guard in the process (the chain came back out no
> problem with some backpedaling).
>
> Does this prove the effectiveness of spoke guards, or their
> irrelevance?

Irrelevance, obviously.

> 2) I have committed to buy a Shimano Alfine gearhub for no
> good reasons other than its mechanical neatness, tolerable
> price, and the magic words "Ultegra-grade." In theory, my
> ultimate excuse will be to use it in my mud-proof
> cyclocross bike experiment.

Sound like good reasons to me. I have vague dreams of turning
my commuter Cross-Check into a 'cross Cross-Check. Would look a
little too dorky with the current flat bar though.

> It looks like the thing will go into a wheel which I will
> then slot into a late-80s Pinarello road bike. I will use
> the twist-grip shifter on a flat bar, and add a clip-on
> aerobar.
>
> I'm thinking about using some MTB bar ends finish off the
> bar, and then sticking some aero-style brake levers (for
> bullhorn bars) in the ends, making a sort of pseudo aerobar
> with bullhorn base setup.
>
> Will the brake levers fit into any existing MTB bar ends?
> Am I nutty? Should I just go with flat-bar brake levers and
> the aerobar? Am I a loonytune? Any other suggestions for
> what to do with a bare Alfine hub?

A guy at a local shop uses an 8-speed bar-end shifter with a
Travel Agent on his Nexus 8.
He says it works pretty well, though there is some play in the
shifter because it isn't quite as precise as the Nexus shifters.
I'm really really tempted to try it myself.

http://www.oldspokeshome.com/blog/?page_id=125

> 3) the Alfine wheel: I plan to build it up with a
> deep-section rim, partly for aero, partly for cyclocross,
> partly because I am clearly a nut. Any of those available
> in a 32h drilling?

Velocity Deep V for one.

> I thank you for your patience.

You're welcome.

-Owen

On Apr 4, 5:19 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 3, 9:27 pm, "Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> > > 1) I went out for an MTB ride yesterday, and a chain incident culminated
> > > in the chain getting stuck between the cassette and the spokes, utterly
> > > destroying the plastic spoke guard in the process (the chain came back
> > > out no problem with some backpedaling).

> > > Does this prove the effectiveness of spoke guards, or their irrelevance?

> > I they're effective, but so is a proper derailer adjustment [hehe]

> > > 2) I have committed to buy a Shimano Alfine gearhub for no good reasons
> > > other than its mechanical neatness, tolerable price, and the magic words
> > > "Ultegra-grade." In theory, my ultimate excuse will be to use it in my
> > > mud-proof cyclocross bike experiment.

> > Sweet.

> > > It looks like the thing will go into a wheel which I will then slot into
> > > a late-80s Pinarello road bike. I will use the twist-grip shifter on a
> > > flat bar, and add a clip-on aerobar.

> > barf.

> Make it a hurl if you add a spandex rear wheel fairing and some color-
> blok shorts! 80s...tri-style!

And a Speedo!

Joseph

In article
<427fa624-30cc-4538-a453-0214751fbdb1@i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

> On Apr 3, 8:11 am, [email protected] wrote:
> > On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 05:57:19 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >1) I went out for an MTB ride yesterday, and a chain incident culminated
> > >in the chain getting stuck between the cassette and the spokes, utterly
> > >destroying the plastic spoke guard in the process (the chain came back
> > >out no problem with some backpedaling).

> > >Does this prove the effectiveness of spoke guards, or their irrelevance?

> > [snip]
> >
> > Dear Ryan,
> >
> > Are the spokes damaged?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Carl Fogel

> And/or did the derailleur or hanger get mangled?
>
> Joseph

The derailer and hanger (XT 8 on a steel Kona; I can't even remember if
the hanger is separate) are fine. They didn't get displaced during the,
ah, event.

I don't think the spokes were damaged, but I haven't checked closely.
The peril of having however many bikes I have is that instead of one
bike meticulously maintained, I have four bikes that are rideable.

daveornee <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau Wrote:

> > 2) I have committed to buy a Shimano Alfine gearhub for no good
> > reasons

> > 3) the Alfine wheel: I plan to build it up with a deep-section rim,
> > partly for aero, partly for cyclocross, partly because I am clearly a
> > nut. Any of those available in a 32h drilling?

> On your number 3: I would consider Alex Rims Crostini T1.2 it is not
> deep at 18 mm but it is offset for a more durable build even with Alfine
> hub it likely would be dishless and has an 17.5 internal width for
> handling wider tires.

Surprisingly, fat tires are not a big priority. The widest tires likely
to get used on this wheel are CX tires, which stop at 35 mm (I could run
wider 29er tires for a super-cheater mud bike, but I'm likely to run out
of frame...).

In practice, I run about a 32 mm CX tire, and 25 mm road (racing) tires.
This won't be a touring bike, especially in v 1.0; the Pinarello has
terribly tight frame clearances.

> If you must go higher profile, Alex Rims has a 30 mm deep G6000 with 17
> mm internal width or Velocity has 30 mm deep DeepV with a narrower
> internal dimension. All of them are available in 32 and 36H.

The Deep-V seems a reasonable consensus choice, and I may well end up
there.

"Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> > 2) I have committed to buy a Shimano Alfine gearhub for no good reasons

> > It looks like the thing will go into a wheel which I will then slot into
> > a late-80s Pinarello road bike. I will use the twist-grip shifter on a
> > flat bar, and add a clip-on aerobar.

> barf.
>
> > I'm thinking about using some MTB bar ends finish off the bar, and then
> > sticking some aero-style brake levers (for bullhorn bars) in the ends,
> > making a sort of pseudo aerobar with bullhorn base setup.

> I've got some NIB silver Syntace bullhorns layin' around. I'd sell them
> to ya cheap if shipping to Canadia from Atlantia was reasonable.

I'd be happy to take you up on your offer, but the thing I'm fighting
against is whether there's such a thing as a bullhorn that was 7/8" (MTB
spec) and with a gentle enough curve to finesse a Nexus grip-shifter on.
I doubt it...

> > Will the brake levers fit into any existing MTB bar ends? Am I nutty?
> > Should I just go with flat-bar brake levers and the aerobar? Am I a
> > loonytune? Any other suggestions for what to do with a bare Alfine hub?

> I, for one, was inspired by the bar-end shifter/Alfine thread. Maybe a
> DT shifter could work with the Travel Agent down by the hub or mounted
> further down the down tube, somehow. Hell, if your putting aerobars one
> there, use a bar-end shifter in the aerobar.

I too. The particular aerobars I have are very retro Scotts: the type
with a plastic cap joining the ends of the two aero extensions, so I
could change that up...

But I know I will have the grip-shifter, while I'd have to buy a Travel
Agent and a suitable shifter. We'll see...

> > 3) the Alfine wheel: I plan to build it up with a deep-section rim,
> > partly for aero, partly for cyclocross, partly because I am clearly a
> > nut. Any of those available in a 32h drilling?

> Velocity Deep-Vs come in 32h. I don't know if that's deep enough. If
> so, choose your colors wisely.
>
> AS someone who just got Campy shifters going to my Tiagra and 600
> derailers, I definitely want to see this abomination when it's done.

You may be interested in the Tiagr-Ace group on my 'cross bike.

The Shimagnolo 9 on the race bike is old hat,