Ridiculously Expensive BMX Bikes

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by Mojo Johnson, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Mojo Johnson

Mojo Johnson New Member

Okay, this isn't a dig at BMX riding. I used to have a few good BMX bikes back in the day and rode them all through my formative years.

I remember when you could buy a GT Performer or Dyno Comp for a couple hundred bucks and you were stylin'.

So I must ask - WTF is with BMX bikes being sold for THOUSANDS of dollars? I understand road bikes because you're buying Carbon, drivetrain technology, advanced geometry, etc...

But who in their right mind would spend $2000 on a BMX bike? Seriously? WHY?

You get a small frame, a couple of wheels, and a singlespeed drivetrain. Many of these I have seen apparantly have f'ing coaster brakes! You are basically buying image. I wouldn't spend that much on a BMX if it was signed by Matt Hoffman and the tubes were filled with a lightweight mixture of Helium and Dave Mirra's man-juice.

End rant.

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but some guys have to have their Haro, just like others need their Dogma and they are willing to pay for it.

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Sometimes cost can't stop desire. People pay obscene amounts for designer Dutch city bikes, fixies, road bikes......and on and on. BMX bikes are no different. Humans are consumptive, some conspicuously so.

I've got my eye on a Breitling watch that's way out of my price range but is at the of my list of presents I want to give myself when I finish my graduate work.