Ridin' with the "club"

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Cletus Lee, Mar 31, 2003.

  1. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    The Bluebonnets are in bloom in the countryside and that means that now is a good time to plan a
    bike ride in the country. The Houston Bike Club (HBC) schedules weekend rides in the outlying area
    and I decided to go on one this past Saturday. Well, I showed up at the designated start point on
    Saturday with temps in the 40s and a wind chill in the upper 30s. Wind it turns out was the
    operative word here.

    I had not ridden on an HBC club ride in over two years. Years ago on a DF I used to try to hang on
    the back of the 'hammerhead' pack and they would usually drop me after 30 miles. Eventually, I gave
    up and rode with the middle group. After I got my RANS Stratus, I rode a few rides again and found
    that I could again hang in with the 'hammerheads' but I was still good for only about 30 miles. I
    even tried a time-trial where the club does a 10 mile out and back for individual times. The riders
    leave in about 5 minute intervals. The TT organizer (the strongest rider) put me in next to last
    with him riding last. I was just about to the 5 mile turn around when I spotted him in my rear view
    mirror. Needless to say he was back long before I finished.

    You are probably wondering what is this leading up to. Well even though the turn out on Saturday was
    small, I had trouble staying with the lead group. We started out with a pace line in a quartering
    wind. doing about 17-19 mph. I tried that for a while but soon found myself about 100 yds ahead of
    everyone else. Since I did not seem to be gaining on the group, I dropped back and tried pulling
    After a pull into the wind, I peeled off and let the next in line take his turn. Eventually, I
    worked myself back up into the middle but the (then)leader of the pace line at that point did not
    seem to want to give up his position so I was stuck in the middle. By now I am well rested and we
    are starting to head South with the wind following. About a mile ahead is an overpass and I know
    this will slow me some what. Tiring of the 19 mph pace, and not wanting to get dropped on the
    'hill', I decide to 'make my move'. By the time I crest the overpass, the lead group is 200 yds.
    behind Two miles down the road we pass through the small Czech village of Frydek. I am now 500 yds
    in front of the pack. I hear the group yelling and thinking that I missed a turn, I circle back only
    to discover that this was a rest stop. We've only gone 12 miles. After a brief discussion about
    staying with the group, I decided that I would rather ride my own pace and headed on.

    At one point with a great tail wind, I was easily doing 30 mph. After about 30 miles, I had to turn
    back into the wind and at times my forward speed dropped to 9-10 mph. I ended the morning with a
    14.6 mph average for 54 miles. I stopped to rest at a store at the 40 mile point and even though no
    one passed me, my car was the last in the parking lot when I got in. The others elected to take a
    shorter route.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

    Tags:

  2. Cletus, sounds like you had a FUN ride. I assume you were on your Giro? EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach,
    Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    the road we pass
    > through the small Czech village of Frydek. I am now 500 yds in front of
    the pack. I hear the
    > group yelling and thinking that I missed a turn, I circle back only to
    discover that this was a
    > rest stop. We've only gone 12 miles. After a brief discussion about
    staying with the group, I
    > decided that I would rather ride my own pace and headed on.
    >
    > At one point with a great tail wind, I was easily doing 30 mph. After
    about 30 miles, I had to
    > turn back into the wind and at times my forward speed dropped to 9-10 mph.
    I ended the morning
    > with a 14.6 mph average for 54 miles. I stopped to rest at a store at the
    40 mile point and
    > even though no one passed me, my car was the last in the parking lot when

  3. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> says...
    > Cletus, sounds like you had a FUN ride. I assume you were on your Giro? EZ Biker :) Pompano
    > Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    Yes, it was a lot of fun in spite of the wind. And it was the Giro. Fenders, racks and all. The
    Lightning is going into service as a speedster soon so this may be the last non commute ride for the
    Giro for a while.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. John W

    John W Guest

    (snip)
    > The Lightning is going into service as a speedster soon so this may be the
    last non commute
    > ride for the Giro for a while.
    > --

    Cleutus,

    What speed mods are you doing to your Lightning? Inquiring minds want to know.

    John

  5. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > (snip)
    > > The Lightning is going into service as a speedster soon so this may be the
    > last non commute
    > > ride for the Giro for a while.
    > > --
    >
    > Cleutus,
    >
    > What speed mods are you doing to your Lightning? Inquiring minds want to know.

    Probably just remove the fenders and rear rack.

    The Voyager is constructed as an F-40 but I have never been satisfied with the lycra skin and the
    obtuse method of getting the feet in and out of the pliable lycra skin at the foot slits. If I can
    find the right skin material, I will cover the excellent skeleton with a rigid skin and leave the
    under carriage open for easy foot exits.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  6. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Cletus, don't you just hate it when they keep dropping you off the front? :) My fav line for a
    windy ride is, "Why are we going slow, is there a headwind?" Typical response is, "Not down there."
    At which point I offer to pull, and they decline. Go figure.

  7. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    The dynamic of riding with the club is predictable. Paceline riding has a large "macho" element.

    The group kind of loafs along the flats and then works like hell on climbs and accelerating from
    stops/slow downs. They never work hard on downhills, that I've seen. It always P----d me off to see
    the "free speed" wasted on a downhill as I "soft pedaled" to keep my place in line.

    The better riders are, of course, the worst (or best- depending on your viewpoint) at the macho
    stuff. They also react the strongest when their position of relative supremacy is challenged. From
    their viewpoint, a bent is kind of cheating. Also, we kind of break the unwritten rules, by going
    fast on downhills and are unfit by going slower on uphills.

    Bents and DFs are a bad fit where pace lines are concerned. Just ride your ride. If your engine is
    good enough, you'll get there first on your own. If you want to draft, hang on the back. Don't try
    to be "one of the boys" until you are strong enough to climb at their pace.

    It is kind of fair that you do it their way, if you want the advantage of the draft.

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum

  8. Jerry Rhodes

    Jerry Rhodes Guest

    Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > The Bluebonnets are in bloom in the countryside and that means that now is a > good time to plan a
    > bike ride in the country.

    Cletus,

    Why don't you try to make the HBC 2003 Easter Hill Country Tour?

    You will be assured of NOT being the last in on the Century on Saturday. That will be me hammering
    into the wind behind the fattest lady I can keep up with.

    I would like to invite any of the denizens of this group who are going to be in Kerrville on the
    19th to come by our camp site on Saturday evening and help us eat the fajitas that we will be
    cooking. We have 10 camp sites reserved. It is just the family so you will be welcome.

    Just ask where the Rhodes-Truxillo clan is camped. (we have a 10x20 EZ UP blue shelter that is
    hard to miss.)

    Jerry

  9. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Why don't you try to make the HBC 2003 Easter Hill Country Tour?

    Because the Easter Hill Country Tour is on Easter Weekend.

    Unfortunately for me cycling can not be a family thing. I do family things Easter Weekend.

    > You will be assured of NOT being the last in on the Century on Saturday. That will be me hammering
    > into the wind behind the fattest lady I can keep up with.

    I am already assured of not being last and of being dropped by the pack (except off the front)

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  10. Guy Bergeson

    Guy Bergeson Guest

    Cletus, Have you seen the "bomb-bay" doors on the WISIL site? If you're into a hard shell type skin
    that looks like a good way to close up the bottom and still have good foot access.

    Guy Bent wannabee in SLC

    "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    says...
    > > (snip)
    > > > The Lightning is going into service as a speedster soon so this may be
    the
    > > last non commute
    > > > ride for the Giro for a while.
    > > > --
    > >
    > > Cleutus,
    > >
    > > What speed mods are you doing to your Lightning? Inquiring minds want to know.
    >
    > Probably just remove the fenders and rear rack.
    >
    > The Voyager is constructed as an F-40 but I have never been satisfied with
    the lycra skin and
    > the obtuse method of getting the feet in and out of the pliable lycra skin
    at the foot slits.
    > If I can find the right skin material, I will cover the excellent skeleton
    with a rigid skin
    > and leave the under carriage open for easy foot exits.

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  11. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Cletus, Have you seen the "bomb-bay" doors on the WISIL site? If you're into a hard shell type
    > skin that looks like a good way to close up the bottom and still have good foot access.
    >
    > Guy Bent wannabee in SLC

    I didn't find the one you were referencing on WISIL but I did find instructions on the MARS site.
    Right now I would settle for covering my tailbox and side panels.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  12. Guy Bergeson

    Guy Bergeson Guest

    Oops! Sorry for the mis-direction.