Riding 90+ miles for the first time.

Defmetalhead

May 18, 2017
I am riding 90+ miles for the first time this upcoming Sunday. The ride is also 8000+ ft of climbing.
First let me say, I am very much looking forward to it, but very nervous about it at the same time.

My typical ride is 2700 - 3200 ft climbing and 40 miles. I complete this ride 2-3 times a week. My average per week is around 110 miles and 8000+ ft. I can maintain a 21 mph avg over a 20-30 mile stretch, so I feel like my cardio is OK. I have ridden 75+ miles with 4800 ft of climbing in a day, but half was in the morning and the other half 7 hours later.

My question is, should I even be riding something this advanced with the amount I currently ride? If it seems possible with my current riding schedule, what tips can be offered to help me get through this?

Thanks in advance!

You'll be fine.

The usual advice is all you need:
1. Make sure the bike is prepared and your spares are packed on it.
2. Stay hydrated and fueled up. I recommend energy gels, Bloks, etc.
3. Short rest periods. Don't park for long.
4. Stay out of the red zone. Keep your efforts on the climbs as enjoyable as possible.
5. If you are still feeling like Eddy Merckx with 10 miles to go...let the dogs out!

Reactions: cycling_bodybuilder
I'd say throw in some longer rides to get used to long periods in the saddle and moving the legs for long periods.

I did some timed events of 100 miles and 10,000 ft of climbing. I only did 17.5 on 60-70 mile training rides (solo). But the long rides made the 100 miles more comfortable. Reason I say this is though you have good weekly climbing stats, I know some guys that are faster climbers who beat me up a 30- 40 mile climb but can not complete a 60+ mile ride of constant climbing.

Seems you have the conditioning but be sure to work on the long mileage. It can be a bit different from a 40 miler. I've seen guys kick butt in the mountains then fade something terrible in the 4th and 5th hour. :eek:

Thanks for the help guys. I finished with 92.8 miles and around 7500 ft of climbing. Check out my ride here:
*note the amount of feet is off because of GPS issues during parts of the ride.

https://www.relive.cc/view/999557808?r=ride

Problems:

1) Cramps started after around 45 miles. I took it easy going up hills because any real power began triggering cramps.

2) The heat got up into the 90's around 60+ miles. I began to worry about heat stroke.

3) I didn't wear gloves and my hands started bothering me with 30+ miles left.

4) I was sick Thursday night, Friday, and still was still recovering leading into Sunday. I was dehydrated because it was a stomach issue, but decided to ride anyways because it was something I had been wanting to do for weeks.

Last edited:
Nice. I ride everyday out of West Corona between 5:30 and 6. 2-3 times a week I will ride to Irvine, and the rest of the time I roll to Anaheim.

Nice. I ride everyday out of West Corona between 5:30 and 6. 2-3 times a week I will ride to Irvine, and the rest of the time I roll to Anaheim.

Nice! I ride the trail on the weekends only seeing that we live at the base of Mt Baldy. Usually 44 miles, sometimes 60 when my wife is in form.

Sometimes I ride with the boys. But most times with my wife who averages about 2000- 3000 per year.

If you see us out there, say hi!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://youtu.be/LvqcXcVFa0A

My wife in black

DSCN0239_zpsk9h6uzbx.jpg

Usually have a friend or two with us.

DSCN4291_zpsjo2w8gky.jpg

DSCN9818_zpsj1gl3trs.jpg

Oh, and that's me! :D

110715d_zpsppxtrkvu.jpg

Dine GMR a million times over the years too, but getting lazy in our old age. :D

090610A_zpsad65d179.jpg

Bear Baldy Village on GMR/ GRR.

112715K_zpsovjr8tco.jpg

I am rid
ing the GMR loop on Sunday if you would like to join.

Thanks but I'd probably die right now if I climbed GMR. Haven't done it in a while.

Plus I don't care for Hwy 39, crazy fast traffic. :mad:

When I do GMR, I usually go up to Peacock saddle (13 miles up) that gives us about 3500 ft. Or to the village that gives us 5,000 ft. But all out and back so we avoid much of the traffic. Very little traffic on GRR once you get above GMR.

This was the last time I was on GMR (to the village). Been a while!:D

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://youtu.be/dz3lY3-EmbI

I am riding 90+ miles for the first time this upcoming Sunday. The ride is also 8000+ ft of climbing.
First let me say, I am very much looking forward to it, but very nervous about it at the same time.

My typical ride is 2700 - 3200 ft climbing and 40 miles. I complete this ride 2-3 times a week. My average per week is around 110 miles and 8000+ ft. I can maintain a 21 mph avg over a 20-30 mile stretch, so I feel like my cardio is OK. I have ridden 75+ miles with 4800 ft of climbing in a day, but half was in the morning and the other half 7 hours later.

My question is, should I even be riding something this advanced with the amount I currently ride? If it seems possible with my current riding schedule, what tips can be offered to help me get through this?

Thanks in advance!
It's not too difficult, and certainly will build up your cardio workout.